Wedding Woes

I realize Google is my friend

but can you can stuff that has meat in it? I would guess so, but I'm not certain. WW please be my google. kthxbai.

Re: I realize Google is my friend

• loveshine1loveshine1 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd be happy to, but I have no idea what you're talking about. Actually I just re-read and now I get it. I still don't know anything about it though.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • jessjo04jessjo04 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When I was living at home my mom bought a taco kit that had canned beef in the box. Come to think of it, I think that exact kit is in my pantry. Time to clean the pantry...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Yea, Wz. Thank you. I have asked sMom to teach me to can. Its one of those things I think would be great to know, just in case I find a great deal on 8lbs of beans or someone gives me 487 cucumbers. You know?
  • VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    Buy this book:[url]http://www.amazon.com/Ball-Complete-Book-Home-Preserving/dp/0778801314/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1249921836&sr=8-1[/url]It will tell you all you need to know about canning, including low acid vegetables and meat (they have recipes for soup, chili, just canning meat, etc).  To do meat and low acid vegetables is pressure canning, which is far different from the hot bath canning.  I've just started doing hot bath.  I'm saving pressure canning for next year when I feel a bit more comfortable with canning in general.  Pressure canning is usually where the more dangerous problems with canning makes an appearance (i.e. botulism, mold, etc) if not done properly.Make sure to get a pressure cooker that has both dials.  They are the safest.  I'm looking at All American, but I believe Mirro is the other big brand.  Also, you can be BOTH a pressure canner and an pressure cooker, but a pressure cooker is not always appropriate for canning, so be careful.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks V, that is a good thing to know. Botulism is something I would like to avoid. lol
  • VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    I've been really surprised at how easy the hot bath canning is.  It's MESSY as all hell and it does make the house hot (you have lots of boiling stuff going on for about 2 hours), but it was fun.  And hearing the POP of your cans when they seal properly is exciting.  It's immediate gratification of YAY I DIDN'T FARK UP!!!!I've decided for Christmas to do some wine jellies and other canned stuff for gifts.  It's fairly cheap to do the recipes and I think it's kinda fun.  Plus, I'd love a gift like that, so I think my friends would too.  And if they don't, they can just keep their traps shut!  ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards