Washington-Seattle
Options

Seriously, what is it with some vendors??

Warning: Rant

So, I've been emailing a few different caterers for quotes for JUST food for the RD.  Received a reply from one company late last week and I've gotten quotes from a couple other companies that were about $4-5 less per person for the same meal.  Oh, and in their reply with the quote they stated "Yes, we deliver food without staffing...The cost will be $XX.00 per person, along with a gratuity and sales tax for 30 people for $XXX.xx." I replied back saying thank you but they were out of our budget.  The caterer replies asking what our budget is, and I let them know.  This is their reply "I wish that our expenses were such that we could offer you this service within your budget. When I think of a $XX meal I think of the quality of fast food. We take pride in the fact that everything is made from scratch with quality ingredients."

Do I have the right to be slightly annoyed?  I mean, first off, they want to charge me GRATUITY when there's no service?  Then they try to compare the budget I have with fast food?  All I can say is, that had better be one effing awesome meal with the works from Mickey D's!  Why is it that vendors can't simply state something along the lines of "I'm sorry but our food quality and expenses do not allow us to be able to offer you catering in that budget"?  I mean, basically if they had replied with that quoted part but left the 
"When I think of a $XX meal I think of the quality of fast food." part out, it would have been totally fine.  I get it.  Some catering companies have a set up and business model that allows them to offer food in the budget we need while others cannot.  No big deal.  But no, instead I get an attitude with their nose in the air. Ugh!
Family fall photo session with Ashley Hoyle Photography
Married 7/10/10
Wedding Planning Bio - Updated 6/13/2010
Anniversary

Re: Seriously, what is it with some vendors??

• Options
    edited December 2011

man, i got mad and frustrated for you after reading that post. Talk about stuck up caterers. Completely unneccessary fast food comments on their part.  Sending bad knottie vibes to them. grr.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    UGH. I HATE that kind of response! There is no need to be rude and insulting! I mean, people have a budget and that's what they can pay! If you don't offer anything in that price range, then just give your apologies and that's it.
    Daisypath Vacation tickers
  • Options
    Alo822Alo822 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That sucks! It's completely unprofessional to say something like that. Sorry they were so rude to you. :( 
    Alison & Rob 6.5.10 Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How rude!  You totally have a right to be annoyed.  They need to keep the editorializing to themselves, no matter what they think.

Have you contacted some of your favorite ethnic restaurants?  That's what we'd have done if we were local.  A friend found an Indian restaurant that was able to do a really affordable RD that they loved, so if you're interested let me know.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I know, right?  Grr, it just irks me.  Part of me wants to reply stating I felt it unnecessary to be charged gratuity for something that I'm not obtaining service from AND that I found another catering company that has a business set up that allows them to offer the same meal for $5 less per person and also makes their food from scratch and has rave reviews.
    Married 7/10/10
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011

That is just awfully rude.  I wouldnt waste anymore time on them!  Those common from the vendor are just bitter.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    What is up is, a lot of vendors are a-holes.

But hey, at least they were willing to go to your site...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would be annoyed as well!!

I was actually thinking of you and all other knotties without an RD plan the other day... You know that big truck "Skillet" That drives aorund? They do catering for groups! Just thought it could be fun!
  • Options
    jennuinnejennuinne member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't get the snarky rude responses, I mean, they are trying to get business, right? 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    amandaswamandasw member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    wow, that's really rude - I can't imagine writing that as a professional person representing a company and trying to get business. glad you may have found someone else though!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

people are ridiculous. i'm sorry!

thats what my caterer kinda said when i said i wouldn't do the minimum they wanted.. I don't want to use my caterer!! ah!!!!!!!!! (mini vent over)

BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker we're having twins!
  • Options
    dreamwindsdreamwinds member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow. Seriously, that's really rude. and completely unprofessional. Some of this is just eye-opening. I always thought the client was 'right' and the vendors are bidding for us to pick them, but man. Do they not really care about word of mouth?
    imageLilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    "Thanks for your reply. And now, when I think of your company, I'll think of its rude, unprofessional representatives."
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Tracy - I'd thought about doing something like that, but FI didn't seem too keen on the idea. :P

Sara - I'm sorry - I'm frustrated for you too. :(

Melissa - sad part is, it was the Chef who I was emailing with.  Clearly the person needs to stick to what they (hopefully) do best and just stay in the kitchen. 

I actually replied last night "Perfectly understandable.  I know some catering companies can work within that budget while others cannot. Thank you for your time." I figured I'd take the high road.
    Married 7/10/10
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Bah. I'm SICK of the high road! I ALWAYS take the high road and so do you! Sheesh...one of these times, we need to at LEAST take the middle road and give them a hint of their snark.
    Daisypath Vacation tickers
  • Options
    irshis20irshis20 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would have replied along the lines of Melissa above. If they don't get "corrected" on their rude behavior, they'll continue to do it to others. Their response to you was beyond rude.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards