Wedding Woes
Options

Holy shart!

Our computer at home has been steadily dying for about two years.  Just lack of space and us outgrowing a dinosaur computer.I asked the guy who does the computer stuff for work to get a quote.  $1078!  Holy shart!I guess we'll have to pare it down, but boy oh boy.

Re: Holy shart!

• Options
    VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    Um, no.  He's jacking with you.What is it you want?  DH can probably find a computer from Dell that with a monitor package, even for a gaming computer, $400 max.  He doesn't build them anymore, b/c Dell builds so much cheaper.
  • Options
    **O-Face****O-Face** member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We were TRYING to avoid buying from a box store, but at $700+ just for the tower, hardware that's crazy.I should post his quote or at least the main portion.We just need a pc for email/storage.  The main thing that we store tons of are photos and music.  But hell, we're running with 40GB of course it's gonna be slow as mole-asses.
  • Options
    hmonkeyhmonkey member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    that sounds like you just need an external hard drive.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think we should try that first.
  • Options
    E SquaredE Squared member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh, honey, no.The laptop I got with V's H's help ended up about $900 total, and that's with 120 GB, 2 gigs of RAM, and buying Microsoft Office.
  • Options
    VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    edited December 2011
    newegg.com for the hardware.What is the issue with a box store?  Dell has great customer service and good products.  If you really have a hard-on to just buy one built, buy the parts yourself from newegg and pay someone to put them together.  Find a high school kid or a friend who knows enough.  But for DH to hit $1000 he would be building BOTH of us the gaming computer of our dreams.  And we'd still be buying the base from Dell with a 20" monitor for $529 and then just upgrading RAM and video cards.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    See...that's what I effing thought.  Grrr.  This dude is super nice and I trust him but wtf? I'll post his quote.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm talking...Best Buy is the ONLY thing we have here. 
  • Options
    VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    edited December 2011
    His first easiest suggestion:[url]<a href="http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=DDDOTA4&s=dhs" rel='nofollow'>http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=DDDOTA4&s=dhs</a>[/url]
  • Options
    VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    edited December 2011
    Honey, Dell in online only.
  • Options
    VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Your Snapfish Home Videos subscription has been expired. more info
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'll look into all of that V.  I just want my computer to do what we want it too without taking AGES to do anything.
  • Options
    VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    edited December 2011
    The computer I just linked you from Dell has double the RAM, double the number of processors, double the hard drive, and a 20" monitor.  Also, he's selling you software, XP and Office.  You'll have Windows Vista already included in the Dell.  AND a 20" monitor.For $529. You will have to buy Office for an additional cost, but you can get that from Dell as well.Actually, now DH is trying to twist my arm into buying that package, b/c with an upgraded video card, it's be awesome for gaming.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ::twisting hair::So what you're saying is..."buy this because it's the same/more for cheaper"?  Adddurrrr.  yes, please
  • Options
    VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    edited December 2011
    Also, he's got an 250G external harddrive on there to make up for only have 250G inside.  Just get one with 500G inside.  I doubt you fill up 500G in three years, unless you start taking professional pictures.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Damn.  I want to show H this, but that will have to wait.
  • Options
    VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    edited December 2011
    Also, depending on what you guys want to do, tell me what it is you want (needs, etc) and DH can keep an eye out for you.  Woot posts Dell deals all the time that are INSANELY cheap and he has some other sources too.  The thing is when you find the package you want, you have to buy it right then.Just let me know and I'll be glad to help.  I hate seeing people get taken advantage of when it comes to computers.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're honestly just looking for an upgrade that will last us a few years (~7-8).  We don't currently do gaming or watch movies online, though I would be interested in netflix when I can.  We honestly just use it mostly for email, photos and music.  We're very basic.
  • Options
    VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    edited December 2011
    Well, find out what kind of computer you have tonight.  You might just be able to add a new hard drive or RAM or both and create more space, and not need a new computer.  DH will have to look up the specs though.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We currently have a gateway. 
  • Options
    VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    edited December 2011
    Tell me that you have a Gateway, is kinda like telling me that you drive a Nissan.  He needs to know what kind of Nissan (computer model number and stuff like that) in order to check the specs to see how and/or if it can still be upgraded (depends on age sometimes).  Your computer tower probably says it somewhere or if you still have your owner's manual, it should have it right on front.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes ma'am, I do the legwork and let you know.
  • Options
    VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    edited December 2011
    I just re-read that and it sounds snarky.  Sorry, didn't mean it to be.  You should hear my explanation of IP addresses which compares it to your house address.;)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    No I know.  I don't speak "computer". 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I got my laptop at Best Buy.  Less than $400 with an open box deal (ask for it, they don't advertise).  It's an HP with 215 GB hard drive, 2GB RAM, nice keyboard, etc. Also 0% financing for six months.  I don't usually like to finance things but reallly at zero percent it was an easy purchase.
    TTC since 07/11 Me: 32 AO PCOS/DH: 32 Lowish count/motility IUI#1-3 = BFN (Clomid, Clomid-->Femara, Injects) IVF#1 ER on 9/24 19 ER/19 M/9 F w/ICSI Transferred a 5AA and a 5BB on 9/29 Beta 10/9 = 139 Beta 10/11 = 287
    imageimageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

My Blog

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards