Wedding Woes
Options

tv compromise

varuna, i remember those days.  i remember my parents had a dinner party one night, and a bunch of friends and their kids came over.  a HUGE FIGHT ensued, pitting the younger girls against the older girls.me and my ilk wanted to watch the strawberry shortcake special.  my sister and her cronies wanted to watch the tv movie, "the brady brides."  the compromise: we would start watching "the brady brides."  when that went to commercial, we would switch to strawberry shortcake, and so on.the result?  neither show made very much sense, but thankfully, neither the bradys nor the stawberryland characters had particularly complicated plots, and we could figure out what we had missed.

Re: tv compromise

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes, I remember the Brady Brides. Must see tv, right there.
  • Options
    L_WoodsL_Woods member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In my house the compromise was "if you don't want to watch what Mom is watching downstairs or Dad is watching upstairs, you can read a book. If you aren't allowed to watch either program (because it was too much for my delicate eyes) you read a book or play a game." Yeah, I was super sheltered. I finally got my own TV my senior year of HS, and only got ABC, NBC, CBS and the local channel.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Tv compromise in our house went like this.  We rotated first pick (per mom's chart).  Then when a commercial came on, the first to guess the product got a point.  The person with the most points got the next pick. Yeah, we were weird.
  • Options
    zsazsa-stlzsazsa-stl member
    First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    We had a weekly conflict in our house on Thursday nights when The Cosby Show conflicted with Magnum PI.

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    Muppet Show conflicted with Tarzan (I think) or something else my dad wanted to watch.We took turns.  There was a calendar on the refrigerator and it was marked whose week it was to watch their show.  And usually, during commercials, we'd still flip to the other show for just a few minutes.I don't know.  I feel like everyone is starting to separate into their own little spheres, with their own computer, tv, and other passive entertainments and we're going to end up like that Dr. Who episode where everyone sat in front of their TVs and voted on the issue of the day and never had human contact except for FB updates.  Which if we're not out doing stuff, how in the hell is an FB update ever going to be interesting?
  • Options
    hmonkeyhmonkey member
    edited December 2011
    that is why brandon tartikoff was awesome.  create a bunch of family shows, lump them together and create family nights.thank you for creating cosby show, family ties, cheers and bunch of other awesome, awesome shows.
  • Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    edited December 2011
    I'm right there with you V.  I remember visiting a friend in college.  At dinner time everyone filled their plate and went to their own tv.  I still don't comprehend.
  • Options
    VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    edited December 2011
    We only have the one television in the living room.  Someday, I would love to have a formal living room/parlor and an informal dining room/den.  Then the TV would be in the informal one.  It feels like even when we have parties, at some point the TV comes on and I hate that.  And if it was in another room, we could have Rock Band in one room and the talkers in another.  ;)We do have our own computers.  But we're in the same office and generally use them to play online games together.  If/when we have kids, they will not have their own computer and it will be facing us, locked down to all beejesus and only to be used when we're in sight.  I know it sounds totally overprotective and it is, but there are some things that kids don't need to know about before certain ages in my estimation.  The Internet is not a friendly playground and kids are squishy.
  • Options
    VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    edited December 2011
    I meant, they probably would have their own computer, but it'd be the "kids" computer.  If we have more than one kid, they don't each get their own.
  • Options
    hmonkeyhmonkey member
    edited December 2011
    i think my older kids might get their own computer (that they helped pay for).  i don't want them to fight over one computer if they both need it to write papers.
  • Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    edited December 2011
    Agreed again V. It drives me BANANAS that MIL and sFIL can't turn off the tv.  sFIL might not come to 6let's first bday because the Brown's are playing.
  • Options
    VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    edited December 2011
    Well, I know DH and I will always have our own computers, so I'd have a way out of that one.  But, we can set it up for "users" so that a profile can still be locked down.I believe whitehouse.com has the right to exist.  I'm just going to make sure my kids aren't able to access it accidentally, y'know?  Not until 13/14 at least and after some long conversations.
  • Options
    VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    edited December 2011
    Wz, we now have the "mini" laptop for that.  Which is convenient when watching a movie preview, we can add to Netflix queue or look up actors names.BUT, I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE it when DH is still netsurfing when we're watching a movie and makes me pause so he can share something funny or misses something in the movie so I have to rewind it.He knows the signs to stop now.  When the eyeroll, death stare or just flat out ignore for the stop/rewind request happens, he shuts it down.
  • Options
    VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    edited December 2011
    And I keep trying to explain, I'm glad you want to share and I do want to chat with you about it BUT NOT RIGHT NOW!!!  E-mail it to me or something.  Jeez.
  • Options
    loveshine1loveshine1 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't remember much compromising and arguing about the TV.Then again, I'm an only child.After dinner, I would go upstairs and take a shower, and then I would watch TV in the living room. My parents and grandfather would watch TV in the kitchen for the most part.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards