Wedding Woes
Options

Sports intervention: Is there such a thing?

sFIL is killing me with his sports addiction.  He was p!ssy on our wedding day because it was NFL draft day.  He wouldn't eat with us at the baptism because the Indians were on.  He's mad about BIL's wedding day because there is an Ohio State game.  Skipped his wife's 60th to watch a Cavs game.He announces games on the local radio station for high school and small college games.  He said he was going to miss 6let's bday because of announcing a game (and the Brown's were on).  He said it's a commitment and he can't back out of it.  Fine whatever.Now I find out he's skipping an announcing "commitment" because he got tickets to an Ohio State game.  I really think he's addicted.Jackass.

Re: Sports intervention: Is there such a thing?

• Options
    Sounds like he's more addicted to being a jackass.
  • Options
    he's not addicted; he just doesn't care about the same things you do.stop inviting him to things or caring whether he attends the few things he might be invited to.
  • Options
    This reminds me of a story.On Thanksgiving, we all gathered at the restuarant I was working at (at the time).  We probably had 100 people there?  Everyone brought their speciality dishes and it was really wonderful.One of the owners parents was pissed b/c there wasn't TV in the restaurant and they wanted to watch some football game.  They were looking at the computer and hitting F5 over and over to see a graphic that was a football field representation with lines on it for the plays.  That's how they were getting their fix.I wandered over, I guess when they weren't there, and popped on to show someone who had asked, the renewal pictures.  They made some comment that I certainly thought I was entitled, didn't I?  I was just like, You're watching a computer graphic for god's sake.  You can't wait 5 minutes to hit F5 again?
  • Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    I know hmo.  It's just hard because he's not just hurting me.  He's giving BIL a lot of crap about the wedding being the same day as a football game and he gave DH crap too about the bday party.
  • Options
    srsly, there is very little difference between "i don't want to come to you party because i don't want to" and "i don't want to come to your party because i have ohio state tickets."  either way, it boils down to "i don't want to."it's fine for him, and it's fine for you because you don't have to keep looking at his sour face while he's checking his watch and trying to find the route to the nearest sports bar.if you don't invite him at all, then you don't have to hear "but the browns are on!"if he wants to know why he's not invited to anything ever, you can tell him, "we didn't want to bother you during football/baseball/basketball/hockey/little league/interleague/foosball/carnival season."
  • Options
    DG1DG1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    I agree with hmo, but there is ALWAYS a game that day. Especially if you are into NFL *and* college *and* HS games.  When is BIL supposed to get married?  10:00 AM on a Wednesday?Generally speaking, sure, leave him out of stuff if he's not that into it.  But at some point, there are "once in a lifetime" events that should take priority over a football game (especially when there's another one to watch in a few hours).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards