Wedding Woes
Options

S/O Garage Sales

Do you go to/have them?I never go to them.  I don't know why, I don't really have any judgment about them, I just never have.After we had the last one where my mom had marked a $70 Targus laptop bag down to $10 and the lady offered me $5 and I was insulted and told her no, I have had no further garage sales.  It's just insulting most of the time.

Re: S/O Garage Sales

• Options
    My mom and I used to go them when I was a kid, but I don't anymore. I don't see anything wrong with them, they're just not for me.
  • Options
    I'll stop by if I see something interesting or am bored and have time.  Some people down the street were having one a couple of weeks ago.  I saw a glider in the driveway but was on my way OOT. I sent DH over to check it out with STRICT instructions to carefully inspect for pet hair, pet damage, smoke smell, etc.  The thing was *pristine*, and we got it for $50.  The one I was going to buy for DB2's room was not as nice and was $180. (The one we had for Dexter was a freebie the ILs had had for 20 or 30 years. We recovered the brown floral velour, but it was still hella uncomfortable.)Still, the last time I'd bought anything at a garage sale prior to that might have been college.

• Options
    I've never gone to one, other than the one that my parents had when we moved out of NJ. I was getting annoyed by the people, so I finally just left.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    dg -- was it a dutailier glider?  i want one NOW.
  • Options
    lol, no. Not THAT nice. That's like an $800 glider.  I think this one (according to the seller, via DH) was like $275 original price.  Still a pretty nice deal.

• Options
    people sell dutailiers out here for everything from $500-$75, with and without the ottoman.  some people are kidding themselves (the $500 people) and other people are fools (the $75 people).
  • Options
    I go to them.I have them.ANd I don't get insulted by what peeps offer--something looses like 80% of it's value hte moment it's 'used' & at a garage sale.
  • Options
    I also go to and have them. I get some good deals, and don't get insulted when people offer less, just say yes or no. I am also not ashamed to offer less, and almost always get people to take less than they are asking.
  • Options
    I don't go.  I don't have them.  Everything goes to Goodwill and I take the tax credit.  My time is worth more than I would make at a garage sale.
  • Options
    I realize things lose their value, GBCK.  I already HAD that damn bag marked down to 90% of it's value.  I also think it's rude when something is like $.50 and they offer you $.25.  C'mon, it's FIFTY cents, you're getting a bargain already.  It's gross.Also, I agree with 6.  After the last one and the annoyance factor of sitting up at 6 am, when we already had people driving by, the $ we made wasn't worth our time.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards