Wedding Woes
Options

Freaking!

I am already beginning to freak out about how much it is going to cost for a wedding. I have a hard time choking down the bill of $800-$1000 for the "cheapest" flower package! We are really broke and I am having a hard time seeing how this can really happen. It is going to be small maybe 60 people. I know that I have a lot of time to save money and to make all of this work, but at the moment it is driving me crazy that we pay all of this money for a wedding. And the almost hubby is fine with it. lol Thanks for the vent, believe it or not I am really excited to plan it, I just don't want to spend our savings on one party
Photobucket

Re: Freaking!

• Options
    PMeg819PMeg819 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    Don't freak, start getting creative. Check out places like Costco for flowers and DIY them. Vendors jack up prices when they attach the word "wedding" and you don't have to pay for it. Just do a google search for budget bride. There are so many tips and tricks out there to save a buck.
  • Options
    E SquaredE Squared member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just don't want to spend our savings on one partyGood strategy. So don't. Really investigate your vendors. Negotiate. Find other things than flowers (lights, ribbons, fabric) to decorate the area.Use a mix of real and fake.If flowers are so damn crucial, then find other places that aren't and cut costs there.Personally, we cut down flower costs by giving the BMs a single rose and my mother DIYing the bouquet with supermarket roses and a trip to Michael's. We didn't have boutonnieres for the gents, just funky ties.  Breathe.
  • Options
    VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    I spent $500 and made all my own centerpieces and bouquets.  We didn't do the men's flowers at DH's request.  I had massive centerpieces and bouquets.  I think I had over 24 roses in mine. You just need to research the hell out of sources, figure out a simple look, and DIY.
  • Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The good news is you have a lot of time to research, negotiate, and get creative.  The best advice I can give.  Decide what is important to you and your FI- flowers, food, music, etc.  Set a budget.  If you go over in one area, recognize that you will need to scale back in another.
  • Options
    mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You have almost two years.  That's plenty of time to do the research and legwork to get the best deal possible.  Also, make a budget first and then stick to it.  That way you can walk away if someone will not negotiate with you. In reality, it really takes a few months of your time to plan a wedding. 
  • Options
    ReturnOfKuusReturnOfKuus member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    If your local Shop N Save has a floral department, go there.  We got centerpieces, ceremony decor, bouquets, corsages, etc. all for under $500, and we got so many compliments on how beautiful the flowers were.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards