Wedding Woes
Options

I need adviSe ASAP

I talked to a woman today who is recruiting for a new position in my area. It's the same line of work. The travel would be more focused on local travel: Phoenix and Tucson. There would be some travel to local states: Colorado, Utah, NM, Nevada. I would have to do several weeks of training of Chicago, but that would be spread out.The benefits sound better. The PTO is better. That said, I'm pregnant. I would probably not be eligible for FMLA because I won't have worked there for a year. I may not have accrued a decent amount PTO to use that either. I will end up having to stop traveling around 36 weeks, but I could do local travel until I pop. Gah. I would actually really like to work for this company because they are good.

Re: I need adviSe ASAP

• Options
    And it's a huge jump in pay. About $20k more.
  • Options
    if you are not eligible for fmla, what will happen when blobby comes?
  • Options
    What about school? It's official...your baby has eaten your brain and left you directionless. My 2 cents...stay where you are for the time to use for maternity leave. Safety first.  
  • Options
    I am talking to DH about this.
  • Options
    no FMLA woud suck...but for $20k more...you might be able to take an unpaid leave....
  • Options
    (of course, that assumes all is well...I mean, heaven forbid, worst case scenerio when blobby comes?  something goes *slightly* awry?  you won't have FMLA then either.  And that SUCKS.)
  • Options
    I will get tuiton reimbursement after one year. It's me being willing to push it back a year. I really wish this would have happened about 4 months ago. Really wish.
  • Options
    Is it possible for them to agree to let you have an unpaid FMLA-type leave for 6-8 weeks post baby even though you aren't covered by FMLA?  A $20K raise and better travel would be worth unpaid leave, IMO.

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I can understand the lure of $20K more, but it seems so "iffy".Also, new baby + school?  eesh.
  • Options
    You should still be eligible for short-term disability even if you aren't there for a year. That typically gives you a partially paid leave for 6 weeks (for vag delivery) or 8w (for a c/s).  Mine was 60% of my salary for the 8w. FMLA "guarantees" that they hold your job for you for at least 12w. FMLA doesn't guarantee any payment, though.  Any maternity leave pay is either through a specific maternity leave policy or through the standard short-term disability policy.That said, the $20k ought to be enough to help offset the cost of any unpaid leave you'd want to take, and if you ended up on bedrest or something, that should extend your STD. (60% pay is not as good as 100% pay, but it may still work out. Your expenses go down dramatically when you are on bedrest, too, you know?  Not burning a lot of gas and all that.)I say if you really want to work for this company, go for it.  I think the pay increase will make up for the maternity leave, and if you're willing to wait on the tuition reimbursement, that's cool. (Assuming the tuition reimbursement is as good as at your current company - that can add up to $20k fast if they don't cover much.)HTH!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards