Wedding Woes

My mind is blown.

I've semi-reconnected with a bunch of people I knew in grade school and high school on Facebook, and so many of them have kids! Is anyone else's mind blown when they see that people their own age or younger are real grownups with their own kids and everything? Parents, don't bother to answer.

Re: My mind is blown.

• hmonkeyhmonkey member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    some people, yes.  mainly because i can't imagine anyone would put their junk in their junk drawer, especially if they knew where that junk drawer had been.  (also applies to junk.)
  • **O-Face****O-Face** member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yep.  All the time.  People with multiple children too.
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    It blows my mind when I see people with grown up type kids.  One chick has a kid graduating hs.  Some have teenagers.
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Even though I have the kiddo, yes, sometimes it freaks me out to see my old HS friends on FB with kids.  What trips me out even more is my younger sister's friends that have kids.  They're all still 'kids' to me, even though they're 24/25.
  • edited December 2011
    Yes, it freaks me out to see someone I went to HS with have a kid who is all opinionated and on the verge of teenager-dom.
  • edited December 2011
    My mind has been blown a few times. Even by my own sister who is 14 mos younger than me. Her kid has survived to be 3 1/2. I don't know how....
  • edited December 2011
    Not for having kids, but for having old kids. There is a girl with four and one is 17. He's a senior in HS.I'm so going to be the old mom on the playground.  
  • hmonkeyhmonkey member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    nola, i know one girl from college who specifically wanted to be the youngest mom at school.  whatever, lady.  you know your kid is going to be going to school with a teen mom, and later your kid is going to  be going to school with some trophy wife.i never understood why she wanted this, but she was a total idiot.
  • jojobrnjojobrn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Yes, and I keep waiting for the people who I thought made a bad decision at the time to have it blow up in their face.One I thought for sure would be divorced right now just had their third kid and seem to be going strong. The other I don't here much of, so any gossip I get will be older, but still worthwhile.
  • DG1DG1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Agreed on the older kids part.  One of my HS acquaintances had a baby at 15, and now that baby is 18.  3 others were knocked up at graduation, so their kids are 15.  Another girl just got married in April (did the "career" thing - not the single mom thing).  So it's SUCH a wide range!I'm also  surprised at how many got knocked up accidentally and are single moms.  I only had 32 people in my graduating class, so to have 4 people with kids 15+ and so many "oops" babies makes for kindof a high ratio. 

• L_WoodsL_Woods member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm sure this is a bad thing to admit, but when I see people that graduated with or after me that are married with multiple kids I feel a little bad about myself. I feel like I'm the old maid that people will feel sorry for at reunions and stuff.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We had a very similar mix DG, but my class was a touch bigger- 67.  It was funny to be pg with #1 at my 15 yr class reunion.
  • edited December 2011
    I never remember thinking about when I wanted kids...but I know when I saw my Mom didn't have been until she was 26 (!gasp!), I thought she was elderly. Now, if I ever have kids, people are going to think I am thier effing grandmother.
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah. I'm also seeing a few marrieds turning into single status. One chick keeps reporting how glad she is geting a divorce. I get it. DG, that is a very small class. I thought mine was small at 77 girls. I will say that I'm surprised how many chicks have been married over 12 years. Good for them.
  • L_WoodsL_Woods member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Holy cow you guys went to small schools, my class had 437.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • ReturnOfKuusReturnOfKuus member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    My graduating class had 44. It doesn't make me feel bad that people my age are real grownups. It just makes me feel disconnected, like the whole world has gone boring while I stayed cool and awesome.
  • My mind stopped being blown at this a long time ago. I am in the minority to be 27 and not have atleast one kid. And most of these are not fresh kids either.  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Gone too Soon.
  • edited December 2011
    Min, I think this happens at the 10 reunion, but it will change at the 20th.  A lot of those people will be on marriage #2 or divorced. I think they will have a different mindset by that time.
  • PMeg819PMeg819 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    EH, I'm not surprised. There are people who have kids who I figured would have kids. The people who don't aren't any big surprise. It's more fun finding out who is actually gay, who won't admit it, and who is actually straight.
  • edited December 2011
    NOLA, many of the people who I know that were married before me, are already divorced.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm shocked when people from my graduating class are married/graduated from college and don't have kids. There aren't too many.
    "I would be sad if sex was only about the climax, lame." Someone who is obviously doing it wrong
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    yes. Especially when their kids are 5 and up. And we're 23.
  • edited December 2011
    The guy I was madly in love with in HS is a father of 4 and has another on the way. I think the oldest is a step kid - but still. To top it off, he still lives in the house he grew up in. It really freaks me out to see people around my age with kids. I barely feel old enough to have kids (even though it's going to be sooner rather than later).
  • DG1DG1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    One of DH's friends is 33 and 2 years into his 2nd marriage. (We like this one and think it will stick - he married the first one at like 22 and was divorced at 27.)So that is a little odd.I guess I'm more surprised that so many of our friends are having kids now.  All through my mid/late 20s I felt like I was sortof behind the curve in that regard, but we're by far not the last of our friends to be having behbehs.

• edited December 2011
    I know several with kids in their early teens. One has 5 kids. FIVE KIDS! Granted she has a set of twins, but still. Woman is still as skinny as she was in HS.I have another friend who posted on our HS alumni website that during a nasty breakup he found out the 8 y.o. boy he raised wasn't his son.
    MIL is thrilled you're joining the family. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • E SquaredE Squared member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's weird, even to see people in our cohort get married. We kicked it off, and now they're dropping like flies.
  • edited December 2011
    speaking of this, my Junior High Bff had a baby this morning! (squee!)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards