Wedding Woes

Invitations and Guests

We are only inviting family to our wedding, but for those who have a significant other, we are allowing them to bring a guest along.
Will those who don't have "and guest" on their invites be hurt? What if they eventually do have a significant other? What if someone breaks up with their significant other and brings just a friend? Should I instead address the invitations as "and significant other", or will people not understand the difference?  
We don't want to have to pay for strangers meals, but I know if I was going to a wedding I would want my fiance with me so I can't just say no one can bring a guest.
What do I do?

Re: Invitations and Guests

• hmonkeyhmonkey member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    do not "and guest' people.  just find out the names of the significant other and invite these people by name.  that way, they will be less inclined to just subsitute someone in.

as for those who don't have a significant other, they may be hurt, and if they bring it up with you, you can cite space/budget constraints.
  • SteveandKrisSteveandKris member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto PPs.

Define SO - are you really concerned that your cousin's flavor of the month won't be invited because he might meet her between when the invitations go out and the wedding (2 months?)  Dating someone and dating someone seriously are two different things.  You should know your guests well enough to know if a relationship is serious by the time your inviations go out.
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you both for your insight. I will address the invitations with the names of the significant other. I suppose you are right also, that I shouldn't worry about my cousin's flavour of the month, and only about those who are seriously dating. If the subject should come up however, about this "flavour" I shall tell them our budget just does not allow for another guest.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards