Wedding Woes

TLK08, CW, and people who married while being a full time student

How on earth financially are you pulling this off? How are the bills getting paid? I don't know how 2 part time jobs don't cover rent, insurance, utilities, cell phones, internet, groceries and gas, let alone installment payments on cars, credit cards, etc.

I have 5-6 married students, I know for a fact their parents are still for the most part responsible for them. Is this what's going on? Or do you have married dorms? Or are you basically living on credit? Or are you making ends meet and have everything you need because you have genetically engineered a money tree?

Splain this to me. I get all confused and pearl clutchy every time I hear about yet another sophomore engagement around campus. Maybe I'm just being shortsighted.
Dear Rain, Not Today. Sincerely, My Parade

Re: TLK08, CW, and people who married while being a full time student

• hmonkeyhmonkey member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    they just don't spend most of their money on two-liters of pepsi.
  • dharmabunnydharmabunny member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Federal student loans...it's like free money!!!11!!!...adurrr
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I wasn't in school when we got married, I was already working full time And he worked two part time jobs. It was no different, bill wise, than having a roommate...if anything bills were cheaper because we only needed a one bedroom apartment. I don't understand where the clutchiness comes from...it's not like life has to get super expensive after marriage. We were even able to buy a house before he graduated. Maybe it would have been different if I was also in school, I don't know.
  • zsazsa-stlzsazsa-stl member
    First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited December 2011

Why would getting married raise your living expenses?  The people I knew in school who got married were financially independent before and after the wedding. 

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • InksWellInksWell member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_tlk08-cw-people-married-being-full-time-student?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:1f738c62-60cf-45cf-a817-0102af4a2a8ePost:34fbfb48-ae0b-4a58-ae04-fc3d8e4a2a63">TLK08, CW, and people who married while being a full time student</a>:
    [QUOTE] I get all confused and pearl clutchy every time I hear about yet another sophomore engagement around campus. Maybe I'm just being shortsighted.
    Posted by InksWell[/QUOTE]

So neither of you were full time students? That makes a big difference. I wouldn't pearl clutch that at all. I pearl clutch at the ones who want to get married their sophomore year of college and still be full time students for 2-3 years. Even one partner working full time makes sense. But both kids being students?

And at least on the campus I work at, life does get more expensive when you get married, you have to move off campus.
  • nicoleg1982nicoleg1982 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I worked full time and went to school full time, and being married would've been MUCH cheaper.  And back in the day, I could've done it easily.  IDK why this is so amazingly difficult.
    imageimage
  • hmonkeyhmonkey member
    edited December 2011

you're not a scientician, are you?  that sample size is too small.

• 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We had married student housing.
  • edited December 2011
    No he was a full time student, with two part time jobs.
  • loveshine1loveshine1 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think my school had married student housing.

I don't really get why you would want to get married while you're still in college. College is a time for slutting it up and partying, IMO.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    H was in graduate school when we got married. Our parents weren't paying our bills, we weren't living off of credit cards, we lived in our own apartment and we were making ends meet without a money tree.

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_tlk08-cw-people-married-being-full-time-student?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:1f738c62-60cf-45cf-a817-0102af4a2a8ePost:167eee8a-a203-4c51-8c65-a6afeff669b5">Re: TLK08, CW, and people who married while being a full time student</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't think my school had married student housing. I don't really get why you would want to get married while you're still in college. College is a time for slutting it up and partying, IMO.
    Posted by loveshine1[/QUOTE]

That's funny, I thought college was a time to get a useful education... My bag.
  • hmonkeyhmonkey member
    edited December 2011

for some people it is, for others it isn't.  i've met a couple of people who were not improved -- socially or intellectually -- by college.  i even worked for one.

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Huh. Mad respect for the people who made time for full time jobs and full time studies, or full time studies and two part time jobs. That's a lot of hard work to pack in.

I guess it's just confusing to me because when I was in school I was paying for school on scholarship and out of pocket, with no leftover money for anything. I was a poor, busy undergrad. If I'd had student loans maybe I'd see things differently.

H and I did live together (cheaper together than apart) in grad school, Like the Mins. But I can't imagine pulling that off with sports and being an RA in undergrad. Maybe I'm just not determined enough.
  • nicoleg1982nicoleg1982 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh, eff that.  I didn't have time for sports or to be an RA.  
    imageimage
  • edited December 2011
    I never lived with H while I was in graduate school. ::chugs diet coke <- the superior diet cola::
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I couldn't have paid for college without doing those things. My scholarships were worth more than I would have made at a job.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards