Wedding Woes
Options

Everyone must have me on ignore.

Because it is impossible to get a rise out of my local. 

Someone posted a poll about how many people you have to sleep with before you're a slut. Everyone's posting the usual slut-shaming ridiculousness, and I posted that the word "slut" is sexist and the whole idea is just a double-standard women employ against other women to keep them in their place. 

(I expect you guys to have something to say if you disagree, BTW.)

They just keep posting like it's not even there. Man. I understand if you think I'm the board crank (after all, what am I here?), but really? You just ignore something that would make an awesome conversation?

So, in short, I lub you guys. Please to keep arguing with me. 

Re: Everyone must have me on ignore.

• Options
    ~~Busy.~~~~Busy.~~ member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There are sluts but it's more of an attitude than a number.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    you make me want to better myself and debate better everyday :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't think "slut" can be quantified. It is more about attitude and behavior than numbers.
  • Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Did someone post something??

I agree there is a huge double standard, but I don't think it's only women that use it against other women.
  • Options
    ~~Busy.~~~~Busy.~~ member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Min is there a fu.cking echo in here?  HUH?  YOU SLUTBAG, CUMRAG, DOUCHE DRINKING WHORE.

I love you Min.  The above was an outburst due to my drinking problem.  *starts crying*
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ditto on the attitude. I've had my brush with sleeping around but I have never been referred to as a slut.
  • Options
    baconsmombaconsmom member
    5 Love Its First Answer First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    6, you're right, it's not only women. 

I'm reclaiming slut. I'm proud to be a slut. I like sex, I enjoy it, I would like to have more of it. My only sexual regrets are things I *didn't* do. 

And yeah, there are posts after mine that just reiterate the party line. Like, Oh, what's that, crazy person? Nope, I don't agree with you, I can't hear you, la la la!
  • Options
    loveshine1loveshine1 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think that 'slut' is especially sexist.

I also don't think there's a number that you reach that automatically makes you a slut. Isn't that pretty relative? A very religious person might find that sleeping with more than one person, or even with your husband before the benefit of marriage makes you a slut.

Granted, I did my share of sleeping around. While I may have been a little loose at times, I don't think I would classify myself as being a slut.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Butter CookieButter Cookie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love the word, but I tend to agree with you Bmom, it's sexist. Though I have heard FI refer to a male friend as a slut (to him) which was pretty awesome and funny. And I agree "slut" is more an attitude than anything.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Zilla, generally I think I've been called a slut because I don't follow the rules. Even my own mother probably thinks I'm whatever is codified by the word "slut", and she loves me. It's a societal programming issue, at least from where I sit, and has nothing really to do with sex.
  • Options
    Butter CookieButter Cookie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well come on, Bmom. You are kind of a hobag;-)
  • Options
    MrsMyrtleMrsMyrtle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    **O-Face****O-Face** member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    BM-if liking sex makes you a slut, than I'm the sluttiest slutslut of all slutdom.
  • Options
    E SquaredE Squared member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Does this "Cum Dumpster" shirt come on too strong?
  • Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    edited December 2011

HAHAAHAHAHAHA  Mrs. Myrtle.  It took a minute, but that's funny!

• Options
    *Barbie**Barbie* member
    edited December 2011
    the last time anyone called me a slut was in 7th grade cause I had huge boobs, and they were JEALOUS. 

bmom, good for you taking back "slut" - I'm in the process of taking back "cvnt" (which DH thinks is hilarious)
  • Options
    loveshine1loveshine1 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Apparently, OFace is the Grand Pooba of Slutdom.
  • Options
    MrsMyrtleMrsMyrtle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    *another one of E's piss angels gets her wings*
  • Options
    E SquaredE Squared member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Aaaaaand sig quote.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Busy - I wubs you, too. But I'm still not ready to move in together. ::closes her eyes as she opens the ice cream::
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Barbie, I did that one already. (That's what he said!) It's so satisfying to say. 

(FTR, I taught Bacon "vagina" and "lady parts". She can have cvnt when she's old enough to use it responsibly.)
  • Options
    TheDuckisTheDuckis member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    *Barbie**Barbie* member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_everyone-must-ignore?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:22f8b57f-60a4-41ba-8de6-788127bbe392Post:e291fbd4-4b51-4f59-8a88-429fab84d6c0">Re: Everyone must have me on ignore.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Barbie, I did that one already. (That's what he said!) It's so satisfying to say.  (<strong>FTR, I taught Bacon "vagina" and "lady parts". She can have cvnt when she's old enough to use it responsibly</strong>.)
    Posted by baconsmom[/QUOTE]

<div>it will be the same with our kids - no cutsey nicknames for body parts - just the actual names or approved slang terms. </div>
  • Options
    zsazsa-stlzsazsa-stl member
    First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited December 2011

It is sexist, but I'm still uncomfortable with reclaiming it. That word conveys a basic lack of self respect and does not refer to a woman who just enjoys sex.

I can't stand when women refer to themselves as b!tches, either.  Let that word die.  If what you are trying to say is that you are assertive and you stand up for yourself, then use those words. 

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    TheDuckisTheDuckis member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm with Zsa on this. It drives me crazy when teenagers call each other sluts, and when adults do it I think they're acting like teenagers.

In general I don't get the point of "recaiming" words. There will always be offensive words, and changing the meaning for yourself doesn't change it for the billions of other people in the world.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards