Wedding Woes
Options

Do you know...

of any organization that will come haul away furniture? I'm trying to get rid of the pub set (a.k.a - the bane of my existence).

I already called Salvation Army, and they will come. But they won't come up to the third floor and the furniture has to be dis-assembled. So, if I can take the table apart and get the table and chairs to the second floor (or first!), they will come take it. <- there are at least two things wrong with that plan.

Re: Do you know...

• Options
    I hate that. People at those places (Salvation Army, Goodwill) are so damn particular about their rules, not to mention what they will and will not take.

You're DONATING stuff, and they act as if you're putting THEM out.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    will Volunteers of America drag it out for you?

Freecycle wold probably find someone but then you let strangers in, so that's kinda icky...
  • Options
    Well, I'm sure they have liability concerns about hauling heavy stuff down 3 flights of stairs, so I can't really blame them.  They have to look out for their employees and volunteers.

I would check with The Kidney Foundation.  Also, ask around.   There are a lot of charities out there that could use furniture, that aren't big names like the Salvation Army and Goodwill.   My mom works with a charity that helps get women out of prostitution and human trafficing.   The charity has set up homes where the women can live while they're getting there lives back together.   I'm sure there are similar organizations in Dallas.
  • Options
    loveshine, they can't take every bedbug-ridden couch and bed that comes along just because it's free.
  • Options

Is there a more "local' thrift shop?  They may not have as many rules as GW or SA.

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Craig's list and Freecycle will be an option when H is here, ready to get hacked to death by strangers. Or, he'll haul it down to the second floor for SA.

I'll ask around and check out the Kidney Foundation. It's a solid furniture, it's just NMS and I am sick of stubbing my toe on the stools.
  • Options

If it in good shape you can also look into a consignment furniture type place.  We have one of those in my little town, so I would think you would, too.  They came and picked up our old table and chairs and just knocked $15 off of our portion of the sale price for their trouble.

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    they have to be particular. whatever they don't give to people can be sold, and the money goes to the organization. no one wants to buy a couch with stains and rips all over it.

check with habitat for humanity, also.

we have a circular that comes out once a week, and in it there are listings for people who will come and remove furniture for free because they refurbish it themselves usually. check in the local papers for anyone who might be willing to take your old stuff.

otherwise, check what days of the week the garbage collects bulk trash and just leave it out on the curb. somoene may just take it that way.
  • Options
    Zilla - there is no way I can get this down three flights of stairs by myself. I can hardly move the stools and table to clean under/around them. This is part of the reason why I hate this POS.
  • Options
    then chop it up into bits and throw it out the window.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_do-you-know?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:23afd5c7-62c5-40bc-987b-d37bd47eae5ePost:d20f90a3-fff5-49ac-ba27-07224d0bccfd">Re: Do you know...</a>:
    [QUOTE] there are listings for people who will come and remove furniture for free because they refurbish it themselves usually. check in the local papers for anyone who might be willing to take your old stuff. Posted by Wzz[/QUOTE]

Ditto this.  There's always someone driving around in a pickup truck on garbage day looking for furniture.  See if you can find someone in the paper to come get your stuff.

But this probably falls into the PT-needs-to-be-there-to-stop-the-hacking category, in which case he can carry it himself.
  • Options
    Yea, ever since 'the maintenance' people saw me leave ten bags of trash out, I'm kinda creeped out in the apt complex. I feel like no one should be paying that much attention to me, but they are. The world is full of creepy weirdos.
  • Options
    Don't you have a zillion muscle-y friends over there?  Buy them a beer and have them move it for the salvation army.

• Options
    As far a getting it down the stairs, you could ask firemen if they'd be willing to do it (you might need to pay a fee or do some sort of compensation). Some of them do moving on the side for a little extra $$$. Then just make an appt for whoever for pickup Or make new friends by asking a few to help and pay back in copious quantities of pizza, beer, liquor and movies :)
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_do-you-know?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:23afd5c7-62c5-40bc-987b-d37bd47eae5ePost:2ac75ef2-a987-472b-a90e-4e9077cadd8d">Re: Do you know...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Don't you have a zillion muscle-y friends over there?  Buy them a beer and have them move it for the salvation army.
    Posted by DG1[/QUOTE]

All of my guy friends come from disparate friend circles and getting two of them over at the same time would require an act of congress. Plus, you don't know exactly when SA is coming, until the day of, and even then it's a two-hour window. I don't want to waste anyone's time. And you know if I leave it out the day before, I'm going to get fined.

It's easier to either a) deal with it in the house, b) find somone who will take it away, or c) wait until H can deal with SA. The solution does not involve putting my friends to work. They all already have jobs.
  • Options
    Why did you move this thing if you hate it so much?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_do-you-know?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:23afd5c7-62c5-40bc-987b-d37bd47eae5ePost:15561422-3848-4fcd-afab-ec7f259b1f66">Re: Do you know...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Why did you move this thing if you hate it so much?
    Posted by AuntFlo[/QUOTE]

I didn't think it would come with us. I was not in OK when the truck was packed.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards