Wedding Woes
Options

major dog vent

Ruger is almost 5.  He was crate trained for the 1st year and has been fine alone since then (with exception of major counter surfing problems within the last year).  When we moved into the new house the layout allowed us to make the kitchen area off limits entirely with a wireless transmitter that works with his invisible fence.  The dining room was initially off limits, but we gave up because he loves to run from window to window watching the squirrels.

Starting last Friday, Ruger began peeing in the dining room while we are at work.  Monday he even went so far as to get as close to the kitchen as possible and pee on the floor by the refrigator.  We blocked off the doorway with chairs and had no issue Tues.  Thankfully I pulled up the oriental hall rugs, because he peed all over the floor in the front hall yesterday (from the dribble trial you could tell he tried to get into the dining room).   He isn't peeing anywhere else so I doubt it is a bladder issue.  My only guess is he is getting excited/upset about something, by why would it start now??
br>imageimage
IF/Baby Blog
2 years, 2 surgeries, 2 clomid fails, 2 IUIs, 1 loss, IVF #1 - 10/25/10 = BFP!
TTC #2 - 6/12 surgery #3, FET #1 & 1.2 = BFN, 12/2012 FET #2 = BFP!
Lilypie Premature Baby tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

I can't wait for the "im getting a divorce" post in 5 years or so because your husbands were fed up with your disgusting chair asses from playing on the knot all day and getting fired 4-5 times for not doing any work. you guys are all winners!! ~ Laur929

Re: major dog vent

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I would still take him to the vet and rule out a health issue. That's very odd that a 5 year old potty trained dog would just start peeing for no reason.

The only other thing I can think of is that maybe he's "marking." There may have been pets in the house before, or if he's able to look out the windows and maybe sees other dogs walk by, it could trigger him to "mark" his house. I don't know.

Either way, I would suggest the vet first, and if there's nothing wrong with him health-wise, I would just crate him when you're gone. It doesn't hurt him, it keeps him and your stuff safe (and pee free).
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Gone too Soon.
  • Options
    hmonkeyhmonkey member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    GBCKGBCK member
    edited December 2011
    brand new behavior like this = vet visit.  ASAP.

It's *probably* not biological but, UTI or the like could cause it and if it IS something like that, the longer you let it go, the worse it is for lots of reasons.

• Options
    TheDuckisTheDuckis member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Is he completely emptying his bladder or just marking? You can tell the difference between Herbert's angry pees and i'm-sorry-but-I-had-to pees by the size of the puddle.
  • Options
    *Barbie**Barbie* member
    edited December 2011
    is he neutered? Wiggles used to mark occasionally before we got him fixed - we didn't do it until he was a year and a half old. He had a very short relapse right after we got Rogue (and he was already neutered), but it only happened a few times when she had accidents. 

I'm with ilove on the marking theory. 

if ours have an accident now, it's right next to the door where they go out - they just got to a point where they literally couldn't hold it anymore - when it's Rogue, it's basically a swimming pool worth of pee. 

• Options
    LnR70707LnR70707 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    He is neutered.

TD - the dining room is wall to wall carpet, but 2 times it was clearly a squat and pee (last was very fresh when I found it) and the 3 floor accidents, one was probably done standing still, the other two look like he was running/pacing and dribbling.

I suggested 2 days ago that DH take him to the vet, but he hasn't done anything yet.
    br>imageimage
    IF/Baby Blog
    2 years, 2 surgeries, 2 clomid fails, 2 IUIs, 1 loss, IVF #1 - 10/25/10 = BFP!
    TTC #2 - 6/12 surgery #3, FET #1 & 1.2 = BFN, 12/2012 FET #2 = BFP!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

I can't wait for the "im getting a divorce" post in 5 years or so because your husbands were fed up with your disgusting chair asses from playing on the knot all day and getting fired 4-5 times for not doing any work. you guys are all winners!! ~ Laur929
  • Options
    GBCKGBCK member
    edited December 2011
    if the vet finds nothing, I'll lean w/ marking (even though fixed) and say that I'd reccomend a good enzymatic cleaner + a blacklight.

But I hate doing that, it skeeves me out.
  • Options
    MrsMyrtleMrsMyrtle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This happened with Toby once and it turned out to be a bladder infection. Remember, once a dog's peed somewhere, they're likely to return to that spot for subsequent pees. It could be that he's just returning to the same place because he reallyreallyreallyreally has to go.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Are you sure he doesn't have UTI? A housebroken dog peeing in unusual spots--or the same spot in the house--can be symptomatic of an infection, or worse. Or, he could merely be marking because it's a new house.

I would definitely take him to the vet. When I worked at a vet's office, we had people come in frequently hoping we could train their dog to go outside (we did grooming and basic training as well) when it turned out the poor thing had a UTI or major bladder infection. Or they were just old, but that doesn't seem to be your case.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards