Wedding Woes

Re: l

• Options
    Hold Up. You're mad that they printed the size of the dress on the packing slip?

Is that why you're mad?
  • Options

Nola, that is how I read her post.  First world problems.

• Options
    Every dress I've ordered for a wedding has had the size printed on the packing slip/label on the plastic sheath covering the dress.   It also had my full name and phone number on it.   I assume it's to make it easy on the sales associates to make sure they're giving the right dress to the right person.  Get over it. 
  • Options
    The size is there to make sure it Is correct, I'm assuming. How is this putting women down? It's a fact, not an insult- you make it an insult if YOU are unhappy with that number. David's Bridal is not responsible for your self esteem, you are.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_bad-experience-davids-bridal?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:2b655fed-a3c2-4c64-b2d8-ee1b0632a97fPost:75ad68c3-6fd2-4ecb-8d20-8dbfe7cce23a">Bad experience with David's Bridal</a>:
    [QUOTE]I may just be sensitive but I think in today's society and the emphasis on weight, women suffer enough esteem issues and don't need a dress company make us feel worse. 
    Posted by dlv921[/QUOTE]

Why are your size insecurities and significant self-esteem issues David's Bridal's problem? 

If you didn't have size esteem issues, the dress size would as insignificant as which headlight to install in your car.
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

Your size is not going to shock anyone.  It's sad that we put so much importance on that number, but I'm assuming that anyone who sees that paper has also met you and knows how large or small you are without seeing a size printed on a piece of paper.  That number shouldn't determine your worth to ANYONE...most of all not to you.

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    DG1DG1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2012

I think she meant *everyone's* size was printed on the packing slip - so everyone in the bridal party now knows everyone's size.

Not exactly cool, I agree, but I'm not sure it's worthy of this kind of outrage. I promise that everyone knows who is the biggest and who is the smallest BM.

Maybe printing sizes is a good way to de-stigmatize size in general. Making things big secrets is a good way to make people think they should be big secrets.

That said, there are a zillion other reasons not to use David's Bridal. Do look elsewhere for your own wedding.

• Options
    Andplusalso, this sort of makes me want the bride to hire a dj to hand out the dresses, yelling names and sizes Oprah style. Caaaaaarrrlaaa come getcher size Fouuurrrteeeeeeen!
  • Options
    DG1DG1 member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_bad-experience-davids-bridal?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:2b655fed-a3c2-4c64-b2d8-ee1b0632a97fPost:895b6c12-a1ea-46ea-80e7-f4ea00ace142">Re: Bad experience with David's Bridal</a>:
    [QUOTE]if i had a group of BM order dresses for my wedding, i would appreciate having a printout of the size and dress number to compare against what they also received. it sounds like they do it for QC rather than to shame women.
    Posted by Wifezzilla[/QUOTE]

Seriously? I think my bms could handle it themselves if they got the wrong size. I, as the bride, do not need to be calling David's because they sent one of my BMs the wrong size dress. Certainly, my other BMs don't need to be involved in such shenanigans.

Besides, David's lies all the time. "Yes you DID say you wanted the size 6! No, it's not our mistake, and NO, you can't exchange it. You have to buy a whole new one."

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_bad-experience-davids-bridal?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:2b655fed-a3c2-4c64-b2d8-ee1b0632a97fPost:f51c3b8f-a5eb-43da-91b6-7618920aca7b">Re: Bad experience with David's Bridal</a>:
    [QUOTE]Andplusalso, this sort of makes me want the bride to hire a dj to hand out the dresses, yelling names and sizes Oprah style. <strong> Caaaaaarrrlaaa come getcher size Fouuurrrteeeeeeen!</strong>
    Posted by EdsdollfaceJen[/QUOTE]

This. LMFAO!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    If I were the bride I would want the list so that I could line them up in order of size.  Fatties stand by me in photos to make me look smaller in comparison.  Size will only be trumped by a BM with a significant case of the uglies.  Oh wait, I would never let an ugly girl be a BM...that is what the "personal attendant" title is for.

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_bad-experience-davids-bridal?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:2b655fed-a3c2-4c64-b2d8-ee1b0632a97fPost:8e9295a7-0c31-4fc1-a756-07d30eec7f0a">Re: Bad experience with David's Bridal</a>:
    [QUOTE]If I were the bride I would want the list so that I could line them up in order of size.  Fatties stand by me in photos to make me look smaller in comparison.  Size will only be trumped by a BM with a significant case of the uglies.  Oh wait, I would never let an ugly girl be a BM...that is what the "personal attendant" title is for.
    Posted by zsazsa-stl[/QUOTE]

I lub you.
  • Options
    I hope the OP knows that dress sizing in stores like David's Bridal are seriously whack too. No one cares what size you are because chances are, that size is no where near what your day to day size it. I think for SIL's wedding I was in a size 18 dress. I'm not that fat. Wait...I was at the end of the row of bridesmaids....
  • Options
    DG1DG1 member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_bad-experience-davids-bridal?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:2b655fed-a3c2-4c64-b2d8-ee1b0632a97fPost:52c7fab2-4f02-4573-b81c-ec723eef9c15">Re: Bad experience with David's Bridal</a>:
    [QUOTE]I hope the OP knows that dress sizing in stores like David's Bridal are seriously whack too. No one cares what size you are because chances are, that size is no where near what your day to day size it. I think for SIL's wedding I was in a size 18 dress. I'm not that fat. Wait...I was at the end of the row of bridesmaids....
    Posted by PMeg819[/QUOTE]

True, but you can still make judgments if your whacked size is 18 and another BM's whacked size is 10 and another's is 26.

Still, this is not the reason not to use David's. Pick any of the other zillion reasons out there.

• Options
    Here's a hint: if any of the other bridesmaids have ever seen you, they know what "size" you are. They don't see a number, and go "omg she's fat!" or "wow, I never knew she was so thin!"

Seriously.
    Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Seriously?  David's Bridal sucks, and their customer service sucks, and I'll join the bandwagon agreeing there's lots of reasons to avoid them...but this ain't one.

There's no hiding this size 28 chub.  Seeing my size printed on the packing slip along with the skinny-minnys, so the staff have something to double check and be sure they get the order right, would not offend me.  Having them send the wrong size, and not being able to squeeze into it, because the correct size was listed in an obscure location, would offend me.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards