Wedding Woes
Options

:: kuus ::

i would like to know what disease is actually an undesirable personality trait.

btw, i think hoarders should just be taken gently into the woods and maybe abandoned there.  i just saw the episode with eileen, and i hope that is what her family does to her.

Re: :: kuus ::

• Options
    ReturnOfKuusReturnOfKuus member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I was thinking in particular of Asperger's, and how any time MIL is annoyed by anyone, she diagnoses them with some mild form of autism, combined with ADD or ADHD (please to recall that she is NOT a mental health professional).  But this frequently works for addiction, too, I think.  Like heroin addicts.  Sure, it's physically addictive, but you had to start taking heroin in the first place, which you damn well didn't mistake for broccoli or something good for you, so rather than "aww, poor baby, it's a DISEASE", I say that it's a bad personality trait, which is extreme stupidity.
  • Options
    *Barbie**Barbie* member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_kuus-50?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:2eb33172-c959-4a65-bc4c-6ff7832523a2Post:ae1d0947-6aa7-4240-8844-f6eab3c12417">Re: :: kuus ::</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was thinking in particular of Asperger's, and how any time MIL is annoyed by anyone, she diagnoses them with some mild form of autism, combined with ADD or ADHD (please to recall that she is NOT a mental health professional).  But this frequently works for addiction, too, I think.  Like heroin addicts.  Sure, it's physically addictive, but you had to start taking heroin in the first place, which you damn well didn't mistake for broccoli or something good for you, so rather than "aww, poor baby, it's a DISEASE", I say that it's a bad personality trait, which is extreme stupidity.
    Posted by ReturnOfKuus[/QUOTE]

i agree with all of this.
  • Options
    mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree too.

Impatience, spazziness, inability to STFU =/= ADD/ADHD

Some people just need to learn to chillax.
  • Options
    PMeg819PMeg819 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    I am confused at how ADHD is an undesirable personality trait. Or are we saying that in general, undesirable personality traits are called an illness in attempt to legitimize the person's issue. On the issues of drugs, there are many addicts who know their behavior is harmful, but for so many reasons would rather do drugs than confront their problem. Self-assessment and introspection can be very difficult especially if you have a lifetime of trauma to deal with. And in a certain point, I can see how self-medicating would be easier especially if there is maybe a physiological/biological drive as part of the problem.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    "Or are we saying that in general, undesirable personality traits are called an illness in attempt to legitimize the person's issue."

This one.
  • Options
    *Barbie**Barbie* member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I took it to mean that Kuus' mom is "diagnosing" someone with ADHD/ADD/Asperger's because she doesn't like some of their personality traits - not saying that ADHD/etc. were undesirable traits.
  • Options
    PMeg819PMeg819 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    No, I agree on that front. I will not even get into that because I could rant for days on the subject.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well, it's MIL, not my mother, but yeah, Barbie has it right. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards