Wedding Woes

People are weird

I was home yesterday, and the doorbell rang around 10AM. I wouldn't normally answer the door when I wasn't expecting anyone, but the duplex has sold and people are coming around for all sorts of things.

The people at the door were there because they saw that friggin' pear tree in our backyard (presumably from the other side of the road, where it is VERY visible). They were asking if we ever ate the pears. I told them that birds or wasps or other creatures always got to them before they rippened and they weren't any good. The lady then asked me if she could have one.

WTF? I was so stunned, I said sure, went and got her one and gave it to her. She bit into right there without even washing it or anything. She asked if she could come pick some. WTF? Who does this.

I was clearly stunned because her husband started exlaining that she really loved pears BECAUSE SHE IS KOREAN and they really loves pears, etc..... You know, because only Koreans like pears - my eyebrows were on the roof.

I said, "Come back after 5:00." Oh, and they did, with a big basket and a ladder and everything. H dealt with them this time. He let them through the side yard; they didn't come in the house or anything. They loaded up and headed out.

I sure hope they don't come back. Who are these people??? I would never think in a million years to ask someone if I could come to their house and do this?

Re: People are weird

• loveshine1loveshine1 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That is weird. And a bit gross.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    YES, and, H sprays the tree with wasp spray. I hope that lady doesn't get sick. I would have warned her if I thought she was going to bite into that stone of a pear.
  • loveshine1loveshine1 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yum. Hard pears covered in bug spray.

What a delicious snack.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    And H told me that she shares with other people in her community. I hope we don't get attacked by a bunch of Asians wanting our pears.
  • edited December 2011
    You do know your tree is now HER tree, and she will do late night runs to get those pears.
  • edited December 2011
    Zilla - not the same neighbor. I have never seen these people before. I was a weird white dude with this lady.

NOLA - Yeah, I saw the ladder. I am sure they are going to be scaling the fence on the regular. Oh well, if they take them, there will be less for H to pick up.
  • LnR70707LnR70707 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    creepy
    br>imageimage
    IF/Baby Blog
    2 years, 2 surgeries, 2 clomid fails, 2 IUIs, 1 loss, IVF #1 - 10/25/10 = BFP!
    TTC #2 - 6/12 surgery #3, FET #1 & 1.2 = BFN, 12/2012 FET #2 = BFP!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

I can't wait for the "im getting a divorce" post in 5 years or so because your husbands were fed up with your disgusting chair asses from playing on the knot all day and getting fired 4-5 times for not doing any work. you guys are all winners!! ~ Laur929
  • zsazsa-stlzsazsa-stl member
    First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I heard a story on the radio about people (I think in LA) who map out fruit trees that are either on public space or that have branches that hang into public spaces, then share that information and encourage people to keep that fruit from going to waste.  They said that after word got out about their project they had lots of individuals who had underutilitzed trees and wanted people to come collect the fruit. 

But knocking on your door for a tree in your back yard is a little strange and intrusive.  And WTH at Koreans loving pears?

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • zsazsa-stlzsazsa-stl member
    First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Oh, and FYI.  You can pick them when they are hard and they will ripen up in a paper bag inside - wasp free.

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah, this was weird, and gross, and more than just a little bit racist.

Now I am picturing a bunch of pear crazed Koreans attcking my backyard, zombie-style.
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, that's right up there on the weird scale.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards