Wedding Woes

The "Unnatural" Preferences of Intelligent People

I thought this was intriguing, yet I'm not 100% convinced.  I would like to be, but it feels like a bit of a stretch.

The "Unnatural" Preferences of Intelligent People

A new study may finally put to bed the age-old question: Are liberals smarter than conservatives? Well, it would appear so. The study, which will appear in the March 2010 issue Social Psychology Quarterly, advances a new theory suggests that more intelligent people are more likely than less intelligent people to adopt preferences and values that are considered "evolutionarily novel."

The researchers say that our intelligent ancestors were able to find new and novel ways to work out problems for which there were no innate solutions. The theory argues that humans are designed by evolution to be conservative, and care mostly about their own families and friends, and that being liberal means caring about an indefinite number of genetically unrelated strangers they never meet or interact with, which is evolutionarily novel. So more intelligent children may be more likely to grow up to be liberals.

However, one finding of the study is that more intelligent people are no more or no less likely to value such evolutionarily familiar entities as marriage, family, children, and friends.

http://www.genomeweb.com//node/934663?hq_e=el&hq_m=634780&hq_l=4&hq_v=7078499087

Re: The "Unnatural" Preferences of Intelligent People

• edited December 2011
    intelligent people are no more or no less likely to value such evolutionarily familiar entities as marriage, family, children, and friends.

This is the dmbest thing I have ever heard. Intellent people don't care about children? Then how the holy hell are the supposed to pass on their genes. If this werre true, people wouldn't put so much stock into paternity certainty.

I want author names, please. Only if one of those names is Buss will I put an ounce into this.
  • baconsmombaconsmom member
    5 Love Its First Answer First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Reason.com's Hit and Run blog had a bit on this. The study was of adolescents, not adults, and the differences in IQ points were, IMO, negligible. We're talking the difference between a 97 IQ and a 104 IQ - neither number is a genius to begin with, so really, what's the difference?

Though it did elicit quite a few "Libertarians must be teh smartestest!" comments, which were amusing to read. 
  • HeffalumpHeffalump member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_unnatural-preferences-of-intelligent-people?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:31b6a5cb-b3d9-451e-81de-3440d1aacf4dPost:253180e5-9760-4db3-b6c7-ecbf4d2eb0bb">Re: The "Unnatural" Preferences of Intelligent People</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>intelligent people are no more or no less likely</strong> to value such evolutionarily familiar entities as marriage, family, children, and friends. This is the dmbest thing I have ever heard. Intellent people don't care about children? Then how the holy hell are the supposed to pass on their genes. If this werre true, people wouldn't put so much stock into paternity certainty. I want author names, please. Only if one of those names is Buss will I put an ounce into this.
    Posted by MinM[/QUOTE]

I think by saying that they're no more or less likely to value children, family, etc., they're saying that liberals and conservatives are equally likely to value these things.  I may be wrong.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_unnatural-preferences-of-intelligent-people?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:31b6a5cb-b3d9-451e-81de-3440d1aacf4dPost:53f80f6f-47fb-4516-ab73-41dce52f5c34">Re: The "Unnatural" Preferences of Intelligent People</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: The "Unnatural" Preferences of Intelligent People : I think by saying that they're no more or less likely to value children, family, etc., they're saying that liberals and conservatives are equally likely to value these things.  I may be wrong.
    Posted by Heffalump[/QUOTE]

Isn't that completely contradicting the first thing they said about the more intelligent people valuing "evolutionary novel" traits?
    Anniversary
  • GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    IQ is also not exactly the sharp tool everyone thinks it is.

It was never intended to be used as it's currently being used and ESPECIALLY on kiddos, it's not exactly a *truly* accurate read.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards