Wedding Woes

Re: 0000

• Options
    edited December 2011
    i'd invite him but lay down the law. tell them both if he repeats his previous behavior then he will be asked to leave. his bad behavior shouldn't ruin your day, but it shouldn't prevent your fiance's mother from participating in the events. i hope you don't mind my commenting but i have some experience with alcoholics, in my family they run rampant. alcoholics are generally manipulating and look for people who are enablers. his mother sounds like she may be an enabler. if her husband is a drunkard, tends to be violent/ controlling, he may be trying to manipulate her feelings about the situation. "oh if you go to the wedding without me there's going to be problems between us" kind of talk. and she may feel she's stuck between a rock and a hard place.
  • Options
    bbyckesbbyckes member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    If you want to maintain boundaries for the wedding and in the future, just invite him.  Do not make your wedding day a Mexican stand-off.  If he wants to maintain a relationship with his mother he needs to decide which is more important - inviting the step-dad that's an asss and dealing with him for a couple of hours (where you probably won't even notice him) or cutting his mom out of both your lives.  For me the answer is easy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards