Wedding Woes
Options

s/o credit cards & consumer profiling - question for the moms

Did anyone else listen to Fresh Air yesterday?  The interview was about breaking and building habits, but one of the anecdotes was about Target trying to get their claws into pregnant women because pregnancy is a point at which old habits go out the door and women set up new routines that Target would like to be a part of.  Apparently they know you are pregnant because of unscented lotion you buy.  Really?  Did all of you run out and buy unscented lotion?  I would think there might be a few pregnancy tests followed by vitamins and/or a few preliminary baby things.

They told a story about a guy who came into Target and yelled at customer service because diaper and formula coupons were being mailed to his 16 year old daughter.  He was furious that Target seemed to be encouraging her to get pregnant.  The manager called him at home to apologize and the father said never mind, it was his mistake.  His daughter had fessed up to being pregnant.  Target knew before he did.

I would like to know why I get Enfamil coupons every damn time I check out at Kroger.  The only thing I can guess is that they are matching up my age with my lack of recent tampon purchases, because I certainly haven't bought any pregnancy tests or diapers.

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: s/o credit cards & consumer profiling - question for the moms

• Options
    I read about the Target/Pregnant Teenager story, and IIRC the teenager had actually made a baby registry, so that's why she was on their baby product mailing list.   But of course, the media didn't pick up that part of the story because they were too quick to attack Target.
  • Options

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/19/magazine/shopping-habits.html?pagewanted=all

Here is the article as it was presented in the NY Times.

There are a few times when marketers are really going to go after you, in new point of market entry, which includes parenthood, animal ownership and home ownership. You are buying new products for the first time and they are seeking to establish brand loyalty.

And the predictive models are built using a ridiculous amount of information, including the transactional data they have (like unscented lotion and cotton ball purchases), but also behavioral and lifestage data, too.

You are getting baby-related coupons for the same reason can't wait does. I am getting Gerber baby insurance offers for the same reason. The models are great, but they are not perfect.

• Options
    Here is the other side of the coin, discussing the errors of such models, such as false positives.

http://junkcharts.typepad.com/numbersruleyourworld/2012/02/what-you-didnt-learn-about-customer-targeting-from-that-nyt-article.html

It also explains why they try to get you before baby is born.
  • Options
    i bought unscented, paraben free lotion specifically before i was pregnant.  but i bought it through a wholesaler because i am even cheaper than target's demo.
  • Options
    WzzWzz member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    the coupons that print at the grocery store are usually because you bought product A from a company and that company also offers product B. Or, perhaps you bought a product from Company A, and Company B is a competitor and wants your business. i forget the details on how that works.

anyway. i did buy unscented lotion when i was pregnant for my dry skin, but i buy unscented lotions anyway, pregnant or otherwise.

that said, i think i need to create a target registry so i can get on their coupon mailing list. now i know the trick!
  • Options

the only lotion i ever buy for myself from target is aveeno - i do get DK unscented lotion from time to time, but that's generally because there's no "manly scents" and his hands get dry in the winter.

i would think baby lotion or strech mark cream would be a bigger indicator of pregnancy than unscented lotion

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Wzz - if you redeem coupons at Target, they should be sending you things anyways. However, there are some manufactuers that will never participate in those mailings, unless it is a special offer. And some manufactures don't offer printable coupons on the internet. You have to go to their websites and/or wait for them to mail you.
  • Options
    WzzWzz member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    well they can all just go straight to hell then, min.
  • Options
    It is to prevent coupon piracy, for lack of a better term. They don't simply want to incentivize you being cheap ;)
  • Options
    DG1DG1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment

Even if you do switch to unscented, how much lotion are you really buying? One bottle of lotion lasts me for a freaking eternity. When PG, I used body butter from The Body Shop. One jar lasted the whole pregnancy.

As Min posted, I"m sure the algorithm is a bit more complex than the article would imply, but I just can't imagine sending baby coupons to everyone who buys one bottle of unscented lotion.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards