Wedding Woes
Options

Explain Earth Hour to me.

I get that it's for climate change, yadda yadda, but WTF is the point of sitting in the dark at 8:30 at night? Didn't they do it during the day last year? That made more sense - it's daytime, you don't need to have lights on, go sit in the sun or something. 

But we invented electric light so we wouldn't have to go to bed at 8:30. This just seems so dumb. 

Re: Explain Earth Hour to me.

• Options
    TheDuckisTheDuckis member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It is dumb. I think we should just go the Super Freakonomics route and pump sulfuric acid (or whatever it was) into the stratosphere.
  • Options
    hmonkeyhmonkey member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    sorry, mommyblogger, i just don't care whether you understand it or not.  just stop whining.

it was at night last year, too.  it's intended to be a symbollic gesture.
  • Options
    baconsmombaconsmom member
    5 Love Its First Answer First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I get that it's symbolic, but it makes the organizers look like morons. 

• Options
    edited December 2011
    But it's an empty gesture, and the time and money that are going into promoting it could be much better spent doing actual things that will stop global warming.
  • Options
    **O-Face****O-Face** member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    But I'd rather spend $500/plate on a fundraiser and $400 on a new dress than actually DONATE.  DUH.
  • Options
    HeffalumpHeffalump member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    But...if you do it at night, won't that have a greater impact?  I usually don't have the lights on during the day anyway, so if we did it then, it wouldn't really be any different than any other day.
  • Options
    baconsmombaconsmom member
    5 Love Its First Answer First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Heffa, I might be remembering something local, but in Denver last year, all the businesses - who have lights on all day long - turned their lights off for an hour at lunchtime to observe something-or-other. THAT made sense to me. Turning off the Vegas Strip at night? Sure. 

But individuals sitting in the dark? What does that do? 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Also, fun fact: Candles have a higher carbon footprint than lightbulbs.
  • Options
    HeffalumpHeffalump member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_explain-earth-hour?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:3b1d317e-3c65-469c-b9fa-15d1ab3b0053Post:0225fef8-e11e-4b4b-a8ee-e8bc85bd3b1e">Re: Explain Earth Hour to me.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Also, fun fact: Candles have a higher carbon footprint than lightbulbs.
    Posted by TheDuckis[/QUOTE]

Especially if you have CFLs.

BMom, sitting in the dark might fuel my own sense of self-satisfaction.  Especially if I peek through the blinds at my neighbors' houses with a sense of moral superiority. 

In reality, it will probably be because I fell asleep on the sofa.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards