Wedding Woes
Options

Vent: The boys' halloween costumes are really crappy.

Like, REALLY crappy.

I knew they would be made of cardboard, and that's cool and all. But the "wheels" H cut out for Dex's costume aren't even round, FFS. The blades on Des's helicopter are tilted about 45 degrees.

He barely even modified the boxes they are made out of. They are identical rectangles, spray-painted different colors, with different attachments. And even at that, somehow the cardboard itself looks crappy, like it was torn and patched and then spray-painted.

I'm disproportionately pissed about it. Yeah, yeah, if I want it done a certain way, I should just do it myself. But H has *known* he is in charge of halloween costumes for 2 months. He willingly agreed to be in charge of this. I don't think he gets a pass for saying, "Sure, hon, since you're trying to run your own consulting business AND keep the house in order AND be a SAHM 2 days/week AND cook all of our meals AND watch the kids at night while I pursue my hobbies, I'll take this off your plate" and then doing a shitty job.

I'm really embarrassed to take them out tonight. But they both think their costumes are awesome, which I know is the most important thing. But really. Next year, we are either buying them or I'm making them myself.

Re: Vent: The boys' halloween costumes are really crappy.

• Options
    **O-Face****O-Face** member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    let. it. go.

next year?  Do it yourself.  Just sayin', it will reduce the frustration in the end.

And yes, you have every right to be p.o.'d.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Confession:

Marriage does not sound fun, yo.
  • Options
    PMeg819PMeg819 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    You are such a snatch faced martyr. You think the costumes are crappy, and you dont like them. But it's not about you. It's about your kids and by your own admission they love them. No one may even notice the imperfections you state but every one will notice the mom who is embarrassed of her own kids. And if you have so much to do, ask for some damn help.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    *marks pmeg off the mouse meanie list*
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I rarely agree with Meg, but she has a point. Does it really matter? That's why I said just buy them last week, but I'm all about being stress free.

I'll also ditto my previous comment. Marriage, does not sound fun, yo.

The more I talk to people that are married the more I wonder why I want to do it, again?
  • Options
    Leg de NicoLeg de Nico member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto Nola and Pmeg.  I don't quite understand why your plate is so full and why there isn't enough time in the day for you.
    aka: nicoleg1982
  • Options
    DG1DG1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

Oh, I will take them out. And it will be fine. They will not know I think their costumes are crappy, and neither will H. They will get candy and enjoy themselves.

And PMeg, would you like to come help me? For free, since I can't afford to pay anyone right now? No? I didn't think so. Because you, just like everyone else in my life, quite understandably has their own sht to deal with. I've made my bed and now have to lie in it, just like everyone else in the world.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Plusalso, think about how funny it's going to be in 10 years to see them wearing these crappy costumes in pictures. You have to laugh through life or else what's the point.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    DG, I like this most about you...you vent...you take your shots and you go on.  I guess that is what real people do.  And no, this is not smoke.
  • Options
    DG1DG1 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_vent-boys-halloween-costumes-really-crappy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:48b2152f-45f4-4d2c-a97a-b2db7eb6e256Post:d9c24c3b-e17b-4558-abd1-c4d0ba38cbc2">Re: Vent: The boys' halloween costumes are really crappy.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ditto Nola and Pmeg.  I don't quite understand why your plate is so full and why there isn't enough time in the day for you.
    Posted by Leg de Nico[/QUOTE]

I don't quite understand this either, especially when I see people on FB talking about how they go out to dinner or travel or watch television or read books. Not single, independently wealthy people - people just like me with mortgages and small children.

But you're not supposed to compare yourself to other people, because you don't know their whole story, right?

• Options
    DG1DG1 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_vent-boys-halloween-costumes-really-crappy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:48b2152f-45f4-4d2c-a97a-b2db7eb6e256Post:23d7d775-6a85-4029-b644-fd724b0955a8">Re: Vent: The boys' halloween costumes are really crappy.</a>:
    [QUOTE]DG, I like this most about you...you vent...you take your shots and you go on.  I guess that is what real people do.  And no, this is not smoke.
    Posted by **O-Face**[/QUOTE]

This is truly the nicest thing anyone has said to me in probably a year.  I might actually cry. Thanks, OFace.

• Options
    mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't understand why you're so wrapped around the axle about this if your kids think the costumes are the bee's knees.   Obviously something was done right if they like them.

I'm also with Nico on why you say/think don't have enough time in the day/week/year. When I find myself stressing about not having time, I find it's because I've wasted it doing isht that doesn't matter (like being on the internet).
  • Options
    DG1DG1 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_vent-boys-halloween-costumes-really-crappy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:48b2152f-45f4-4d2c-a97a-b2db7eb6e256Post:7ffb23f6-8071-4f91-a7fa-2d09c3eebd00">Re: Vent: The boys' halloween costumes are really crappy.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Plusalso, think about how funny it's going to be in 10 years to see them wearing these crappy costumes in pictures. You have to laugh through life or else what's the point.
    Posted by NOLABridesmaid[/QUOTE]

You're right. Hopefully by then I will have learned to laugh more. :)

• Options
    tawillerstawillers member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_vent-boys-halloween-costumes-really-crappy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:48b2152f-45f4-4d2c-a97a-b2db7eb6e256Post:7ffb23f6-8071-4f91-a7fa-2d09c3eebd00">Re: Vent: The boys' halloween costumes are really crappy.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Plusalso, think about how funny it's going to be in 10 years to see them wearing these crappy costumes in pictures. <strong>You have to laugh through life or else what's the point.
    </strong>Posted by NOLABridesmaid[/QUOTE]

YES.

Did you happen to see DD2's costume on FB this morning?  She was supposed to be a goose.  I made it myself.  I know it's craptacular, but it doesn't matter.  She'd look adorable in anything.  So will your boys.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_vent-boys-halloween-costumes-really-crappy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:48b2152f-45f4-4d2c-a97a-b2db7eb6e256Post:feb66957-b509-45bb-aefb-bb5660f60b36">Re: Vent: The boys' halloween costumes are really crappy.</a>:
    [QUOTE]When I find myself stressing about not having time, I find it's because I've wasted it doing isht that doesn't matter <strong>(like being on the internet).</strong>
    Posted by mrs.conn23[/QUOTE]

mrsconn, you take that back!
  • Options
    PMeg819PMeg819 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    I was going to post something, but honestly it would be wasted. But DG, I would come help you. I truly would, if nothing more than to see how hard it is for you compared to everyone else.
  • Options
    *Barbie**Barbie* member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_vent-boys-halloween-costumes-really-crappy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:48b2152f-45f4-4d2c-a97a-b2db7eb6e256Post:7e43ba36-ff46-42a2-911e-a061bc6f883e">Re: Vent: The boys' halloween costumes are really crappy.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Vent: The boys' halloween costumes are really crappy. : I don't quite understand this either, especially when I see people on FB talking about <strong>how they go out to dinner or travel or watch television or read books. Not single, independently wealthy people - people just like me with mortgages and small children.</strong> But you're not supposed to compare yourself to other people, because you don't know their whole story, right?
    Posted by DG1[/QUOTE]

I think the important thing is that your kids are happy with their costumes.

i think it's a question of how you prioritize your time, and having a supportive partner. If it wasn't for DK, I would probably never go out - but he's more than willing to put Wolverine to bed/stay home with her so i can go out a few times/month, and I do the same for him. could i be spending that time scrubbing a bathroom, or doing laundry? sure - but i choose to put it off for a day and have some time to myself.

if you give your H time to pursue his hobbies, he should be doing the same for you.

Budget your time and your money to make sure that you get to have some fun/down time. Every Thursday (or even every other Thursday) from 7-10 is DG time.  You can go out for dinner, go shopping, get a massgae, whatever. Your H can make dinner and put the boys to bed. If you choose to stay home, lock yourself in your room and read a book - then you're not to be disturbed. Don't try to get involved in the process, let your H figure it out.
  • Options
    DG1DG1 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_vent-boys-halloween-costumes-really-crappy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:48b2152f-45f4-4d2c-a97a-b2db7eb6e256Post:28ea1d60-5036-43ed-86cf-c42ff8a11202">Re: Vent: The boys' halloween costumes are really crappy.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Vent: The boys' halloween costumes are really crappy. : I think the important thing is that your kids are happy with their costumes. i think it's a question of how you prioritize your time, and having a supportive partner. If it wasn't for DK, I would probably never go out - but he's more than willing to put Wolverine to bed/stay home with her so i can go out a few times/month, and I do the same for him. could i be spending that time scrubbing a bathroom, or doing laundry? sure - but i choose to put it off for a day and have some time to myself. if you give your H time to pursue his hobbies, he should be doing the same for you.   Budget your time and your money to make sure that you get to have some fun/down time. Every Thursday (or even every other Thursday) from 7-10 is DG time.  You can go out for dinner, go shopping, get a massgae, whatever. Your H can make dinner and put the boys to bed. If you choose to stay home, lock yourself in your room and read a book - then you're not to be disturbed. Don't try to get involved in the process, let your H figure it out.
    Posted by *Barbie*[/QUOTE]

He absolutely does. In fact, he suggested the every Thursday thing last night. We're going to try it this week and see how it goes.

• Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    edited December 2011
    The boys are happy.  That's all that matters.

I do agree wholeheartedly with I too.  You take your licks like no other.
  • Options
    *Barbie**Barbie* member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_vent-boys-halloween-costumes-really-crappy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:48b2152f-45f4-4d2c-a97a-b2db7eb6e256Post:f8dccf78-b665-49a2-a23e-f7a3f455a129">Re: Vent: The boys' halloween costumes are really crappy.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Vent: The boys' halloween costumes are really crappy. : He absolutely does. In fact, he suggested the every Thursday thing last night. We're going to try it this week and see how it goes.
    Posted by DG1[/QUOTE]

GREAT!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards