Wedding Woes
Options

cant find a dress

I cant find any dresses i even remotely like at all... :( 

i know the wedding is still far away but blahhhhh i feel like my brain hurts from looking at all these dresses and deciding i dont like them, seems like everything in my price range isnt at all what im looking for :(

Re: cant find a dress

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_cant-find-a-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:4a354b1d-1462-44fa-917a-43798c6a6276Post:c1720ce3-8a64-4065-8d9e-6dcb2390606a">cant find a dress</a>:
    [QUOTE]I cant find any dresses i even remotely like at all... :(  i know the wedding is still far away but blahhhhh i feel like my brain hurts from looking at all these dresses and deciding i dont like them, seems like everything in my price range isnt at all what im looking for :(
    Posted by sunnilove[/QUOTE]

What are you looking for?
  • Options
    i want an all lace dress with a back on it perferably buttons and not a corest,  a lot of them are backless Im not plus size but i have a very big chest so i need all the support i can get , possibly either sweetheart neckline or with cap sleeves, with a bit of beading no belt, and an Aline cut, with a bit of a train, but everything i find like that is way over 500$ :( im getting REALLY discouraged, maybe im being overly picky?
  • Options
    have you tried anything on, or are you just looking at pics?
    if you haven't been shopping yet, i'd suggest trying some dresses on and keep an open mind. 

you might be surprised what you like when you see it on. 
  • Options
    Have you actually, physically tried on any dresses? Sometimes what you think you actually wanted doesn't actually come off as well as you were envisioning. Maybe just dive into a store's inventory and just try stuff on within the budget, enlist the sales rep for fresh ideas
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    i live in a small small city, erm town rather i have physically tried dresses but everything i want to try on is over my price range in that shop and they say never try on a dress you cant afford , so i have no choice but to buy online because i cannot /do not have the time to travel to 5 hours to a big city plus ill have no one to shop with me so id be completely alone and id rather not pick a dress alone without opinions from my bridesmaids or parents
  • Options
    Surely you can find enough resolve to try on even the spendy dresses and put it back. At least you would have an idea of something you like on you, then you can take that info online/eBay or see if a dressmaker could make something similar for less.
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_cant-find-a-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:4a354b1d-1462-44fa-917a-43798c6a6276Post:fdfe15dc-470e-40b2-90e8-52a641e7a032">Re: cant find a dress</a>:
    [QUOTE]i live in a small small city, erm town rather i have physically tried dresses but everything i want to try on is over my price range in that shop and they say never try on a dress you cant afford , so i have no choice but to buy online because i cannot /do not have the time to travel to 5 hours to a big city <strong>plus ill have no one to shop with me so id be completely alone and id rather not pick a dress alone without opinions from my bridesmaids or parents</strong>

<div>that may come back to bite you in the a$$ - what happens if you love a dress but they don't like it and try to talk you out of it. </div><div>
    </div><div>could you take one friend/parent to a nearby city and make a weekend trip out of it?</div><div>
    </div><div>I lived in Philly when I got married, and I flew to Pittsburgh (~300mi/5-6 hour drive) to go dress shopping with my mom. (For both of us) She wasn't involved in planning the wedding, so i know she appreciated the invite. Flights were a lot cheaper 7 years ago, but it might be worth the money to drive/get a hotel. Maybe you could find a Groupon to help reduce the cost. </div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_cant-find-a-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:4a354b1d-1462-44fa-917a-43798c6a6276Post:def99abc-61fa-41db-ad4a-95c5f327e302">Re: cant find a dress</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: cant find a dress : that may come back to bite you in the a$$ - what happens if you love a dress but they don't like it and try to talk you out of it.  could you take one friend/parent to a nearby city and make a weekend trip out of it? I lived in Philly when I got married, and I flew to Pittsburgh (~300mi/5-6 hour drive) to go dress shopping with my mom. (For both of us) She wasn't involved in planning the wedding, so i know she appreciated the invite. Flights were a lot cheaper 7 years ago, but it might be worth the money to drive/get a hotel. Maybe you could find a Groupon to help reduce the cost. 
    Posted by *Barbie*[/QUOTE]

im trying to keep my entire wedding under 6grand, its a budget wedding and even if i drove it just would still be added costs i cannot afford, nor make or pay for my friend to come along as well! 
  • Options
    Just out of curiousity, where do you live?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_cant-find-a-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:4a354b1d-1462-44fa-917a-43798c6a6276Post:096ec7f6-7fac-4020-a1d1-9283127c1535">Re: cant find a dress</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just out of curiousity, where do you live?
    Posted by AuntFlo[/QUOTE]

northern ontario biggest city to me is Sudbury, 
  • Options
    You could always try on dresses that are out of your price range just for an idea of style you like, and then try to find that look on a resale website.  
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_cant-find-a-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:4a354b1d-1462-44fa-917a-43798c6a6276Post:461e8976-2618-40ce-bf43-4cd49363564d">Re: cant find a dress</a>:
    [QUOTE]You could always try on dresses that are out of your price range just for an idea of style you like, and then try to find that look on a resale website.  
    Posted by warpedredpenguin[/QUOTE]

I agree... try them on anyways, as long as you have the willpower to NOT buy it!  I went to David's bridal with my sisters and mom, just to try on styles.  It was so helpful, I realized that I did not want cap sleeves after all, and that a v-neck was actually more flattering on me.  I also realized what silhouette I liked best.  And then I accidentally found the dress of my dreams... except it was $1200, and I wanted to spend less than $500.  It was hard to let go, and ever since then I've been checking preownedweddingdresses.com to see if that style shows up :)

But the more time that passes, the more I realize that I will probably find an equally likeable dress within my budget, I plan to do alot more shopping, especially at consignment shops.

However, I do live near big cities so this plan might not work as well for you :-/

I just think it's very helpful to see and feel the dresses on before buying, but do whatever works for you!
  • Options
    well thanks for all the suggestions i think i found a dress i really love at Sears.. we even have a sears in my town so between the great return policy and trying ti on and at the price of 189$ i can alter it into the few things i want, which is a sweetheart neckline and possible cap sleeves 
  • Options
    i know how you feel. there is a dress i fell inlove with at D&B bridals when i was there get a bridesmaid dress back in October and i can't seem to find it online. i just got engaged a month ago. just keep your head up, we will find what we are looking for.Wink
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_cant-find-a-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:4a354b1d-1462-44fa-917a-43798c6a6276Post:2238b8d7-7a4e-41e4-bdf8-16cf7383644d">Re: cant find a dress</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: cant find a dress :  northern ontario biggest city to me is Sudbury, 

If you're directly northfrom Sudbury, I'm sure there's some not so terrible bridal salons in Timmins and Rouyn-Noranda if the Sears dress doesn't work out! We actually found my SIL a nice one for under $700 in this tiny place in Rouyn. If you do make the trip to Sudbury there's actually a discount bridal store there, you would have to contact them to see if they have what you're looking for but, their prices are generally under $1000. It could b worth the trip, you never know!

I would also see if you could just get a lace jacket or bolero instead of adding to the dress. Alterations are costly, and you may be able to get a lace jacket through your hometown salon.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards