Wedding Woes
Options

Airline points & traveling with friends

I am trying to arrange a girls' trip with two friends.  The husband of one of them travels a lot for work and supposedly has "more points than he will ever have time to use."  She mentioned that maybe we could use his points for our hotel wherever we end up going. 

So what would be your assumption here on how splitting costs will work out between the 3 of us if we use his points for the hotel?

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Airline points & traveling with friends

• Options
    If I'm reading correctly, she offered the points, right?  I would not expect my friends to reimburse me if I offered them up.
  • Options
    i would assume that since she offered to use the points for the room, that she was not expecing to be reimbursed. I would do something like treat her for dinner while on the trip as a TY.
  • Options
    Ditto, Taw. That's how I understood it too. The friends could pay for an activity on the trip or a spa service to pay her back for using the points.
  • Options
    She offered them, but she is a little funny about these things sometimes.  And I can see her husband being a bit of a jerk about it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    i wouldn't expect reimbursement if i used points for a hotel stay. it's a free stay, and they admitted they'll never use them up themselves. i've shared points with friends and never expected anything in return.

i would expect that incidentals would be split evenly, of couse.  i voted SS, but i really should have voted for #1. the points should cover room and tax. if the tax is still on you guys, you could pay for the tax with whoever else is benefitting from these points.
  • Options
    oh, if she is funny about these htings and th ehusband can be a jerk, you can always ask her up front about what the points will cover and what cost you'd be responsible for.

and, ew. if she is funny about these things she shouldn't be offering her points up like that. i would rather pay for my own room if that is going to be the case.
  • Options
    I'm thinking that maybe he is seeing it as a way to cash out some of his points rather than actually just letting us use them, which is fine as long as he cuts us a deal.  I don't want to pay him full price when I would have never booked a hotel at full price.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Yeah, if there could be dickery, I'd be clear on what these points would cover and if she is expecting some sort of reimbursement.  Trying to resolve this stuff during or after the fact never goes well.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_airline-points-traveling-with-friends?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:4bd89f03-6d0a-4a8f-805f-27abac44cc6ePost:2da15e9d-b7e5-4f19-bb08-1c28b61103e0">Re: Airline points & traveling with friends</a>:
    [QUOTE]She offered them, but she is a little funny about these things sometimes.  And I can see her husband being a bit of a jerk about it.
    Posted by zsazsa-stl[/QUOTE]

This is where, "thanks, but no thanks" should come into play. I wouldn't want this to ruin my trip.
  • Options

If she's looking for a payout for the points, my answer changes.  I say do not use the points at all and just split the cost of the room 3 ways.

• Options

if i were you, i would not assume they want to be reimbursed with cash for the points. what would be the benefit to YOU for them using their points?

get the costs for the trip on your end without points. if the woman offers points again and her husband is willing to give them up no strings attached, then go for it. but plan to pay for a room. they can always cash in their points for giftcards if anything.

does your company have a travel department? see what they reimburse for when an employee uses points for a business trip. it's usually not very much.

• Options
    I'm with Taw.  Offers should be out of the goodness of your heart.  Not a way to make money.
  • Options
    Gah, ate my post.

I'm with everyone else about gifting dinner or something.

But, I'd also be willing to split the room cost 3 ways and just give her my 3rd if she wants to use her points that way.  She can use her points as her third, but I'm sure as heck not covering half for her.  She should able to tell you the monetary value the points replaced, right?  

The only other things I can think of is that sometimes it's for a "room upgrade" and stuff.  I would NOT pay more for that, just the cost of original room and a third.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards