Wedding Woes
Options

Cable phone

Does anyone have this?  pros? cons?  The only con I know is if you lose cable you lose phone, whopty do.

It'll save us $23/month to switch.

Re: Cable phone

• Options
    Butter CookieButter Cookie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you lose power you lose phone, as opposed to a land line. Also, the cable internet here goes out every few days for hours on end, and I imagine that means the phone goes down. that would be extremely frustrating.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011

We already have cable internet with no issue.  In the last outage we had power and cable back in 36 hrs.  Phone took 8 days.  AT&T has me really honked.

• Options
    **O-Face****O-Face** member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd say go for it.  That's a lot of money over the long haul.
  • Options
    *Barbie**Barbie* member
    edited December 2011
    We have Comcast internet/cable/phone - it works fine for us for the most part. it's true when you lose power, you lose everything, but that's what cell phones are for, right?

See if you can get the cable phone provider to give you a promo for switching or cover the cost to cancel or install. Normally if you ask for stuff like that, you'll get it. 
  • Options
    zsazsa-stlzsazsa-stl member
    First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I've been having the same debate.  In fact, I need to make the call this week to take advantage of a special.  Ugh, I hope I don't have to talk to supah sweaty guy that I talked to last time.

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    SchmoopitaSchmoopita member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The one thing I heard is that once you get a cable phone line, the tech who sets it up will actually cut your lan lines. So if you decide in the future to go back to a lan line, Verizon/Bell/AT&T would have to re-lay all your lines at a cost to you. Not sure how true/widespread this practice is, but I know at least one person this happened to.
  • Options
    pegasuskatpegasuskat member
    First Comment Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    We have phone lines with Charter. They do go out occasionaly but not to bad. Its always been for only a few hours at a time. I have phone, cable and internet with them. They are not on the same line though, actually my internet and phone have went out at the same time, but tv would be fine. You can also pay extra for a hookup that will keep them on if power goes out. But thats never been a issue with our cells so we didn't get it.
  • Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    edited December 2011
    The woman I talked to said she would waive the cost of installation.  I didn't even have to ask.  So yay. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    One of the reasons my sister didn't go for cable phone is because of 911 issues.  The cops she's friends with said that if she were to call 911 it would be answered at the regional call center instead of her local center.  Then, once the call is answered, it would be transferred to the local call center, which would take more time during an emergency situation.  I don't know if this has changed in the past few years, but it's something to keep in mind.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards