Wedding Woes
Options

Unexpected financial problem

So the wedding is planned (October 29th,2010) and the dress has been bought the Save the Dates went out and basically everything was set to go, all we had to do was pay. Then an accident happened and I had to get surgery (actually it was this tuesday)which now I cant work for awhile and we are broke and cant pay for the wedding b/c the surgery is going to cost..well lets just put it this way ALOT.So my fiance wants to invite only the immideate familys and very close friends so about  20 people. Thing is we already sent out Save the Dates but not the invites (even though they are ready to be sent and are payed for) and I dont know how to word our apologies for not being able to invite the rest of our families and friends...I already feel embarresed but my fiance says we could just call them up or write them saying were not inviting them like its no big deal. I dont know what to do I tried thinking of ways to earn more money (my fiance is working extra hours) but I dont know what I can do? Do you have any suggestions on earning extra money and/or letting our now uninvited guests know we cant invite them. Cry

Re: Unexpected financial problem

• Options
    loveshine1loveshine1 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hm. That's a tough situation.

I would suggest you call them and let them know the situation. They will understand.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    hmonkeyhmonkey member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    you can also consider keeping the date and just having a cake, whore derb and punch reception.  these are your friends; they will understand.
  • Options
    *Barbie**Barbie* member
    edited December 2011
    can't you cut costs on other aspects of your wedding so you aren't uninviting people? 

could you postpone the wedding without losing deposits? 

since you can't work, could you sell your body to science?

do you have short term disability coverage that will help cover your missing paycheck? 

doesn't your insurance provide coverage for the surgery? 

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm with hmo. People have made plans around this event. I'd rather go to a scaled down event, than be un-invited. You'd look WAY more tacky un-inviting people as opposed to serving less food & booze. These people will understand.

Also, if you have just had surgery - take it easy. If you try to do too much now (to earn more for the wedding), you'll likely send yourself back to the ER. I went back to work before my surgeon said, just p/t and it was hard. My GP said I shouldn't be here at all (even after my surgeon said I had the go ahead).

Take it easy on yourself, invite everyone, and have a scaled down event. I promise, you'll have just as much fun and so will they.
  • Options
    Butter CookieButter Cookie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry you were in an accident. You could definitely scale down the wedding and keep the date. Right now you should just focus on healing though.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    *Barbie**Barbie* member
    edited December 2011
    the other lesson here is making sure that you have savings of at least 3 months worth of expenses in case of an emergency, and making sure that you can afford your lifestyle on just one income. You never know what will happen (job loss, medical issues, expensive home repairs, etc.) and you want to make sure that you're covered. 

I wouldn't suggest emptying your savings to pay for a wedding, but i'm sure that you'll be able to find ways to scale back. 

• Options
    edited December 2011

try post poning it
    We originally set the date for march 2011 but had to move it to may 2011, our vendors were very understanding and luckily they all had a specific date open in may so we took it =)
    but if you can't i'm sure you're guests would understand, what counts is that your safe
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards