Wedding Woes
Options

*pointing down* That "still not in love with the ring" thread is pissing me off.

Summary: this woman tells her guy exactly what her style is and what she likes before he buys the ring, he takes his sister shopping and disregards what his lady said and buys what his sister likes instead and proposes with it, and his new FI is secretly pissed. 

What's pissing me off is that the ring is a diamond solitaire, and despite the person wearing it not liking it, almost everyone who responded is telling her that she's wrong because they like solitaires.  Because, you know, everyone's opinion matters BUT the person wearing the damn ring.

On a somewhat related note, I hate diamond solitaires.

Re: *pointing down* That "still not in love with the ring" thread is pissing me off.

• Options
    baconsmombaconsmom member
    5 Love Its First Answer First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Well, she did say, "I wanted something timeless, and he got me this stupid solitaire!" 

She's entitled to get what she likes (although if she was so specific, why didn't SHE go shopping with him?), but she sounds like an idiot, and I think that's what people are picking up on.

Also, it's like 200 words on how awful her diamond ring is. Tell your Fi, don't bother us with this nonsense. 
  • Options
    **O-Face****O-Face** member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No sh*t.  If you tell us, NOTHING will happen.  Tell the people who can change it! DUH.
  • Options
    ReturnOfKuusReturnOfKuus member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    She didn't think she had to go shopping with him, I guess, considering that she told him exactly what she wanted and even showed him pictures of the kinds of things she liked.  I kinda think he was jerky for ignoring all of that, to be honest.
  • Options
    baconsmombaconsmom member
    5 Love Its First Answer First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Well, to give him the benefit of the doubt (and I think he deserves it), I could totally see my H getting steamrolled by, say, my mother, if he asked her to help pick out a ring. Maybe the sister was the same way - "Oh, if she says she likes X, I know she'll love Y!", even when they're completely different. Some people are like that, and some people fall for it. 
  • Options
    ReturnOfKuusReturnOfKuus member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Huh.  I guess I can see that, depending on their age and how long they've been together.  Mr. Kuus did get convinced by one of my friends to ask my dad for my hand in marriage, after all.  But at this age, he's such a know-it-all that he'd be unlikely to be steamrolled by anyone.
  • Options
    dharmabunnydharmabunny member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_pointing-down-still-not-love-ring-thread-pissing-off?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:5617dcb3-6bf5-4c02-aeed-86439409c8dfPost:d1bc825c-74a0-4595-b2a9-a42a7f0213f4">Re: *pointing down* That "still not in love with the ring" thread is pissing me off.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well, to give him the benefit of the doubt (and I think he deserves it), I could totally see my H getting steamrolled by, say, my mother, if he asked her to help pick out a ring. Maybe the sister was the same way - "Oh, if she says she likes X, I know she'll love Y!", even when they're completely different. Some people are like that, and some people fall for it. 
    Posted by baconsmom[/QUOTE]

Good point.  This is why DH was smart and we went ring shopping after he asked me.  100% guarantee that I love it or it's my own damn fault.
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    matuofmmatuofm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Kuus, I was relieved to see that I wasn't the only one who felt that way.  The girl DOES seem a little pushy, and perhaps like she's missing the big picture.  But...

If FI and I had talked about getting engaged, and he had ASKED for input and I had told him EXACTLY what I wanted, then (assuming that it was in his budget) I would be a little confused if he came back with something completely different.

If I then discovered that the reason that it was different was because he had taken his sister and SHE had told him to get this one instead of the one he KNEW I wanted...some amount of pissy would probably set in.

Doesn't this sound like he's not listening to/valuing his FI's opinion?  If he chose to listen to SI over FI?  About something that she might wear daily for the rest of her life?  It makes me worried that if mom turns out to be a FMIL-zilla, he won't be standing up to her either.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards