Wedding Woes
Options

A story about dumb people

My friend's nephew is almost 18.  His girlfriend is 16.  Her family is very poor.  Both of her parents have health problems and can't work.  I'm sure they are on disability, etc., but I guess it either isn't enough or they are poor managers...probably a little bit of both from what I have heard.  Nephew/bf mentioned that he might join the army after high school and the gf's parents got dollar signs in their eyes.  They kept asking lots of questions about how much he would get paid, how much he would get for kids, etc.  Then they did everything they could to make sure their daughter got knocked up.  They invited nephew/bf to stay over as often as he would like, talked about how it is good to start a family early, etc. 

So of course no one was shocked when the 16 yo gf got pregnant.  The baby was born last month.  The gf's parents were on the phone to the army recruitier (because mind you, the nephew/bf still hasn't signed up) within HOURS of the baby's birth to ask how much child support THEY might be getting when he signs up for the army. 

They also tracked down nephew/bf's grandma (my friend's mom) at the hospital and mentioned how they don't have any food at home and hoped that they would be able to feed their daughter enough for her to keep breastfeeding. 

So yes, they strongly encouraged the conception of a baby that they don't know if they can even feed or not.

Mind you, the nephew/bf/father's family is only slightly less poor.  I think one of his parents has a low-paying job but the other is still unemployed.  Grandma is employed but is already taking care of at least two other grandchildren who have moved in with her because they can't afford apartments on their own and couldn't/wouldn't live with their parents anymore.  And she lives in a tiny mobile home.  It's not like she has money to give, but yet deadbeat family sees them as a cow to be milked.

I know it is common, but I'm still always astounded that people see babies as a great ways to MAKE money.

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: A story about dumb people

• Options
    mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Surprised

(that's all I've got)
  • Options
    edited December 2011

How would the grandparents get money from the army? I am guessing they are hoping he'll send money to GF and they will be able to jack it. How terrible.

• Options
    zsazsa-stlzsazsa-stl member
    First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited December 2011

Don't military salaries somewhat depend on the number of dependents you have?  I guess they wanted to know how much that would be so that they would know how much would be coming their way....when and IF he joins the army.

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    AuntFloAuntFlo member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    The nephew is an idiot and is more responsible for this mess than the family he is blaming it on.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes, salaries vary with the number of dependents.

Also, they are counting on him sending the money, which is another big IF.
  • Options
    GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    klassy.

Although, I have a cousin who appeared on the scene 30+ years ago after ThenIdiotGirlfriend (who became the sterotypical welfare queen) Told my evil G-ma-IL she needed to catch the PG so that Uncle would marry her.  (that was successful, I think they were divorced before cousin was 2)

Personally, I've always had some supicions that Cousin looks NOTHING like his dad or any of my family...not that it matters but I could see ex-aunt doing it.  She's that sort of klassy.
    (Cousin, however, in spite of being raised by the drug-addled-carnie-uncle and the klassy-idiot-welfare-queen mom?  Is a well adjusted, upstanding, working real jobs, member of society.)
  • Options
    DG1DG1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

Wow and wow.  And that poor child. :(

• Options
    hmonkeyhmonkey member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    this is all just ... oy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board