Wedding Woes

Groom's looks

Ok, I would like to start by saying i love my fiance very very much, and his looks don't really matter compared to the amazing man he is. That being said, my fiance has a broken front tooth that he hasn't gotten fixed for financial reasons. He doesn't feel it is important enough to get it fixed before the wedding. Now i think we could afford it, but he just doesn't think it's a big deal. It isn't that it is a huge issue for me, I just really want our pictures to be perfect and I would rather his tooth be fixed than having to tell him to keep his mouth closed in the pictures. any thoughts?

Re: Groom's looks

• You can't force him to either get the tooth fixed or smile with his mouth closed.

How bad is the broken tooth really? Since it doesn't faze him it sounds like it's just a small chip. Anything more than that, I assume, would either cause him pain or discomfort and why would anyone want to live in unnecessary pain or discomfort?

You may want him to get the tooth fixed but he may find it adds character to his face (you never know).

I had a pimple the size of Mount Everest on my face the day of my wedding and H has a swollen oil sack thing on his forehead that makes him look like a unicorn sometimes. Guess what? No one notices when they look at our wedding pictures. It actually took time for each of us to notice those flaws. Sure, they can both be toned down with a little make up and creative lighting but I really don't think people are going to notice a tiny broken tooth in your photos.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hrm.  I say he get it fixed, but it's his mouth, so there is that.
  • you could ask him to get it fixed for cosmetic or medical reasons.  if he doesn't get it fixed now, his other teeth could begin to migrate and then all of his teeth will be jacked.

but his skull, his decision.

(ps i nagged my husband into getting braces, so it can work)
  • TheDuckisTheDuckis member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited July 2012
    I need to know the severity of the chip so I can decide whether to side-eye him for not getting a serious dental problem fixed, or you, for being so superficial.

Either way, if he can't/won't fix the tooth and it bothers you that much, ask your photographer to fix it in post.
  • DG1DG1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment

Is he not concerned about how he is perceived by colleagues, potential employers, clients, and the general public? 

I can see not getting it fixed if that means you can't eat or pay the electric bill, but other than that? That sht needs to be taken care of, wedding or not. 

• It is not just a small chip, he essentially split the tooth down the middle vertically and it is slightly crooked too. I have tried just asking him why he hasnt gotten it fixed, which was when he said it is going to cost him around 700 bucks, which isnt really that much since insurance will cover most of it. Although at this point i think he will possibly need a whole new tooth as it could be decaying. I also tried saying that I am going to look into getting my teeth bleached so maybe he should look into getting it fixed. He has had insurance for 6 months now and has yet to go see a dentist and i don't think he saw one for a while prior to his new job. He also DJs on the side and I think it would help him with that too. It isn't strictly for superficial reasons that I want him to get it fixed, I just thought the wedding might give him a bit more incentive or motivation to do it. 
  • To OP: he needs to get that fixed ASAP. gross - DG is right, it probably is holding him back professionally. If it comes down to it, find a dentist who is in his insurance network, make an appointment for him, and drive him there. lie and tell him you're taking him out for lunch, if necessary.

also, this is all sorts of awesome:
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_grooms-looks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:5e5134a3-04b6-4ce4-9626-c40072092d67Post:76dda452-4d3a-4de0-a9ca-0589f76b68a4">Re: Groom's looks</a>:
    [QUOTE]H has a swollen oil sack thing on his forehead that makes him look like a unicorn sometimes. Posted by ElleB87[/QUOTE]
  • Yeah if there's a possibility of tooth decay he needs to get his azz to a dentist NOW. That can cause serious health problems. I really don't have any suggestions for how to get him there though...aside from hog tying him and putting him in the trunk or saying "honey let's go to dinner" and take a small detour and end up at the dentist office.

How the hell does he eat with such a damaged tooth and how is he not in constant pain??
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_grooms-looks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:5e5134a3-04b6-4ce4-9626-c40072092d67Post:9e28aa4b-f85e-4a3c-b862-af14fc76e8e3">Re: Groom's looks</a>:
    [QUOTE]To OP: he needs to get that fixed ASAP. gross - DG is right, it probably is holding him back professionally. If it comes down to it, find a dentist who is in his insurance network, make an appointment for him, and drive him there. lie and tell him you're taking him out for lunch, if necessary. also, this is all sorts of awesome: In Response to Re: Groom's looks :
    Posted by *Barbie*[/QUOTE]

Haha yeah...I'll never forget the look on his face the first time I called him a unicorn...fricken priceless.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yeah, I think I am just going to have to sit him down and tell him whatever the cost we will figure it out, but that is health is more important. And if that doesn't work I will just drag his a** there or get his mother on his case ;)
  • WzzWzz member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker

that sounds like a serious break, and expensive to fix. a crack that goes straight down to the root is a looooong process to fix. his dentist is the one to consult on this, though. maybe he can get a temporary cap or a veneer.

cosmetic dentistry is NOT cheap and usually not covered by any insurance. so he can get it fixed, but not everyone has that kind of discretionalry money. mom just fixed a tooth for $4000 because it was a crack that required an implant.

• am i the only one who saw this sn and thought this was melissa gilbert talking about almanzo?
  • Luckily i'm not as old as melissa gilbert lol
  • Y'all already know what side of this debate I fall on.

Girl, tell him to fix his tooth. This is worth a bill.

Cable or jacked tooth. The tooth wins.
  • Yikes!  That is serious tooth issues.  That sounds like crown or cap territory.  I'd say just get it done and done right before it gets infected/abscessed or splits down so far, it's gonna be the 4K implant.

Has he considered looking at some of these "gentle dentists", ones that do sedation dentistry, that sort of thing?  IDK how much of this is "it's a lot of $$" or just freaked out about going to the dentist but doesn't say so out loud.
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • It isn't just cracked, he only has half a tooth so i dont know that they could cap it or if it would need to be an implant
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards