Wedding Woes
Options

question

my wedding date is in about 7 weeks. My mom is adamant that we take time out of the reception and the photographers time to take a picture of the family - the entire family. All 55-60 extended aunts, uncles, cousins, etc...I think this will probably take 20 minutes to get organized and done right, and with an already tight schedule and limited time with the photographer, I think this is a terrible idea. Obviously we've had a few arguments about it. Am I totally off base?

Re: question

• Options
    It's not 1993. Nobody takes gigantic family photos where everyone is looking in the same direction, tall people in the back, short people in the middle, children in the front.

Let the photographer do their job. If you want shots of everybody then tell them, but they do not have to be together.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

You are not going to be putting all those people together yourself.  Have fun and instruct the photographer to get you and hubby together when they are ready for the picture.  Many of those people will be dead soon so take advantage and get the photo before they are corpses.

• Options
    No.  If your mom wants family photos-she can hire and pay for her own photographer.
  • Options
    I went to a wedding where they did a group shot after the B & G walked down the aisle. The photographer was on the balcony and it was very fast.
  • Options
    Okay, I'm going to amend to-if it can be done in ONE shot...sure.
  • Options

There is no need to get everyone together in the age of photoshop.  Take pictures of small groups and then just paste all of the floating heads together into one frame  Viola!  Cello!

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    DG1DG1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    I think it can be done, assuming the family is told WAY ahead of time exactly what will be happening and why and when.  As in, "please don't go out for a smoke after the ceremony - we'll be regrouping for a family photo and need your cooperation to keep things running smoothly."

If it can be done the night before, say at the RD, then I'd try to do it then.  You can pay a photog to come just for a little while.

FWIW, we did a "whole group" (i.e., everyone who attended the wedding) photo from the balcony just before we went downstairs to dinner. 

I really wanted this one and love the way it came out.

Except that my parents and grandmother aren't in it.  I didn't realize they would try to take her downstairs before dinner (she was in a wheelchair and needed special help), so I didn't think to tell them to wait for the pic.  So now I don't even want to put the picture in an album, because some of the most important people there aren't in the picture.

So yeah, I'd take advantage of the opportunity and try to get the pic.  Those 55-60 people will probably never be in the same place at the same time again.

• Options
    my question: who is paying for the photog? 

if she is, she calls the shots.
  • Options
    DG1DG1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    oh, and ditto the advice of you guys showing up last.  No need to deal with that for 20 minutes.  Let them call you over at the end; mingle with your guests in the meantime.

Or heck, use the 20 minutes to mingle with those 55-60 guests. You'll need to anyway, and people tend to understand that WP pictures take a while.

• Options
    If you time it right maybe.  My mom's side of the family wanted a picture of all the cousins, which was fine, but they did it right after the first dances, so nobody started dancing since the bride and groom weren't there for a good 20 minutes or so.
    br>imageimage
    IF/Baby Blog
    2 years, 2 surgeries, 2 clomid fails, 2 IUIs, 1 loss, IVF #1 - 10/25/10 = BFP!
    TTC #2 - 6/12 surgery #3, FET #1 & 1.2 = BFN, 12/2012 FET #2 = BFP!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

I can't wait for the "im getting a divorce" post in 5 years or so because your husbands were fed up with your disgusting chair asses from playing on the knot all day and getting fired 4-5 times for not doing any work. you guys are all winners!! ~ Laur929
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards