Wedding Woes
Options

Trapped between a foreign FI and nervous Mom

Oh boy.

Just got off the phone with my FI who is in Spain. He gets here next Sunday. He has asked that I don't book anything without him seeing it. However, I'd be flabbergasted if he says "no." (He's kind of "yes dear"-ing the US wedding.) 

I told my Mom and she made "the face." You all know the face, and what it means. It sure seems that since we're having a wedding in the US and one in Spain, she wants final say over the US event. I've tried to explain that, well, the groom should probably have the chance to see the place, but they seem to think that we could lose the place. Which is true.... 

What on earth do I do? He arrives in a week - we could go see the place on his first day here. 

Oh dear. 

Re: Trapped between a foreign FI and nervous Mom

• Options
    GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_trapped-between-foreign-fi-nervous-mom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:66ab7a0c-452f-4808-be16-f2017cf85973Post:5976d6ab-e267-472b-94f9-e87dd95d0c59">Trapped between a foreign FI and nervous Mom</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh boy. Just got off the phone with my FI who is in Spain. He gets here next Sunday. He has asked that I don't book anything without him seeing it. However, I'd be flabbergasted if he says "no." (He's kind of "yes dear"-ing the US wedding.)  I told my Mom and she made "the face." You all know the face, and what it means. It sure seems that since we're having a wedding in the US and one in Spain, she wants final say over the US event. I've tried to explain that, well, the groom should probably have the chance to see the place, but they seem to think that we could lose the place. Which is true....  What on earth do I do? He arrives in a week - we could go see the place on his first day here.  Oh dear. 
    Posted by halydia[/QUOTE]
    WHy are you even CONSIDERING putting your mom's feelings above your husgands on this?

Your husband has said he wants a say in HIS WEDDING--there should be absolutely no question there--he should get said say.
  • Options
    Butter CookieButter Cookie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_trapped-between-foreign-fi-nervous-mom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:66ab7a0c-452f-4808-be16-f2017cf85973Post:5976d6ab-e267-472b-94f9-e87dd95d0c59">Trapped between a foreign FI and nervous Mom</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh boy. Just got off the phone with my FI who is in Spain. He gets here next Sunday. He has asked that I don't book anything without him seeing it. However, I'd be flabbergasted if he says "no." (He's kind of "yes dear"-ing the US wedding.)  I told my Mom and she made "the face." You all know the face, and what it means. It sure seems that since we're having a wedding in the US and one in Spain, she wants final say over the US event. I've tried to explain that, well, the groom should probably have the chance to see the place, but they seem to think that we could lose the place. Which is true....  What on earth do I do? He arrives in a week - we could go see the place on his first day here.  Oh dear.
    Posted by halydia[/QUOTE]

Any way you can avoid the face and pay for the wedding yourselves?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    halydiahalydia member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I could start playing the lottery... 
  • Options
    halydiahalydia member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    GBCK: Because I know when he sees it he'll say "Looks good." 

Also, because I know that no matter where we go, he won't like the food. Sucks that he's from an area of the world where a wedding means at least ten gourmet courses. 

• Options
    Sloane99Sloane99 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't understand why your expectation of him saying "looks good" negates the fact that he wants to see the venue in which you're getting married or be involved other wedding choices? My FI agreed with most of my decisions but he still got a say in them and to be part of the discussion, it's his wedding too.

Go see the place with him on his first day in the US. Tell your mother that you and your FI will be making the choices for the wedding together. Are your parents paying for the US one? If so, then they DO get a say and you will constantly have to walk this tightrope between them and your FI.
    2 IVFs & 1 FET. Welcome home baby girl!
  • Options
    GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    And that takes away his desire/need to see the location why?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards