Wedding Woes
Options

I'm annoyed again.

Re: I'm annoyed again.

• Options
    **O-Face****O-Face** member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You just expect too much of people.  You know...like thinking for themselves.
  • Options
    hmonkeyhmonkey member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    taco bell might not be good for you?  NO.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    shocking, right? 

Don't tell her bacon isn't good for her either.
  • Options
    zsazsa-stlzsazsa-stl member
    First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I haven't read much about this, but I thought the bigger danger was the way they cross-pollinate with other crops and take over...not that consuming them would melt your insides. 

But I guess if you refuse to buy them you reduce demand, yada, yada...

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    dharmabunnydharmabunny member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Kuus needs some taco bell fo sho.

Yeah, my only gripe is cross pollination and intermixing with native populations of fish, or veggies.  In that instance, Monsanto is probably at the pinnacle of evil.
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    *Barbie**Barbie* member
    edited December 2011

oh good lord.

the whole purpose of modified foods is to make a better product.

i won't buy "organic" food because generally it's shitty quality and really freaking expensive.

• Options
    DG1DG1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

The part that bugs me is that if we *didn't* have GMO crops, we'd lose so many to diseases and pests that we'd never be able to make enough food to feed the world, or it would spoil long before we were able to transport it from the Iowa cornfields to the starving people in central Africa or whatever.

World hunger isn't too great, either, you know? 

• Options
    edited December 2011
    My first thought: Same people who probably don't vaccinate their children.
  • Options
    hmonkeyhmonkey member
    edited December 2011
    [QUOTE]My first thought: Same <strong>people who probably don't vaccinate their children.
    </strong>Posted by **O-Face**[/QUOTE]

why did you say this?  a curtain of red just fell over my eyes and now i have to go out to the street to turn over some cars and set them on fire.

brb
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    *titters behind hand*
  • Options
    baconsmombaconsmom member
    5 Love Its First Answer First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I like the girl who corrected her "cracked/crackers" typo, but didn't notice that she wanted companies to SEGWAY away from GM foods. 

And no, of course I don't worry about this. Do they not eat carrots? Because those were genetically modified to only come up orange waaaaayyyyy back in the day. I'm in favor of anything that makes us able to grow more food on less land for less money and someday feed the world.
  • Options
    AuntFloAuntFlo member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Thanks a lot Kuus!   Now I'm all ticked off.
  • Options
    *Barbie**Barbie* member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_im-annoyed-again?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:72b40819-0a5f-4958-8f42-3429ed2680dfPost:6adb3c65-6b37-46e4-bcdc-2431b46293a9">Re: I'm annoyed again.</a>:
    [QUOTE]why did you say this?  a curtain of red just fell over my eyes and now i have to go out to the street to turn over some cars and set them on fire. brb
    Posted by hmonkey[/QUOTE]

we had a couple like this in our "how not to kill your baby 101" class. . . the boyfriend said something like "garbagemen are less likely to get sick because they are constantly surrounded by germs so they build immunities"

great... we don't want to hear any complaints when your kid gets polio or small pox, mmmkay?
  • Options
    ReturnOfKuusReturnOfKuus member
    edited December 2011
    Oh lord.  I'm getting more annoyed the more they respond.  If something takes plasticizers and pesticides out of your system, then it'll act like a drug (whatever that means) and take everything!  And on that note, you'd better not get your hair cut, or the next thing you know, the stylist will be lopping off your limbs!

I am so glad I'm getting out of biomedical research and going into pure science.  I'm tired of helping stupid people live longer, healthier lives.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wait - is the woman who said we hadn't modified anything before 1940 joking? She does know about Mendel and his peas, right? 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_im-annoyed-again?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:72b40819-0a5f-4958-8f42-3429ed2680dfPost:fe4fc92b-99de-4bdd-b36e-571f8b5b812f">Re: I'm annoyed again.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wait - is the woman who said we hadn't modified anything before 1940 joking? She does know about Mendel and his peas, right? 
    Posted by baconsmom[/QUOTE]

No, I don't think she does, hence her educated and informed responses on the topic.
  • Options
    hmonkeyhmonkey member
    edited December 2011
    [QUOTE]ROK: there is concern that the way the genes are being modified isn't exact and the wanted changes are only one outcome of a general process. There has been evidence of livestock and people having reactions, allergies, and illnesses due to these. Have you not heard of this issue in your line of work?[/Posted by sugrfrejaz[/QUOTE]

i LOVE this.  kuus, you must be pretty crappy at your job if you haven't heard of this.  ADURR to you, kuus, ADURR.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes, because we just throw genetic material in at random and hope for the best. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Dear God, science education in this country is lousy. I've never considered myself to be particularly informed on stuff like this, but then I read these threads, and I feel like a friggin' genius. 
  • Options
    hmonkeyhmonkey member
    edited December 2011
    kuus, when we have our gtg, i will give you baby mo's dried up umbilical stump so you can have the cord blood inside to play with.  make me something nice, like a cure for cancer, mmkay?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'll try, but since I'm just doing things all haphazardly and at random, you might get a semi-clone with flippers instead of a cure for cancer.
  • Options
    hmonkeyhmonkey member
    edited December 2011

my role as the gift recipient is to merely smile and say "thank you."

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Whenever I hear/read the term genetically modified foods, all I can picture is Emma boycotting the caf.

And the tomato scorpion: http://dumbbaby.net/degrassi/e/i/219/04.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am so ashamed that this was my first thought when I saw this poll, too.
  • Options
    MrsMyrtleMrsMyrtle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    KUUS! This: "ROK: there is concern that the way the genes are being modified isn't exact and the wanted changes are only one outcome of a general process. There has been evidence of livestock and people having reactions, allergies, and illnesses due to these. Have you not heard of this issue in your line of work?[/Posted by sugrfrejaz"

Reminded me of the Eureka episode where everyone became dumb because of the "organic" chicken farmer who was growing chicken parts under grow lights in her barn. THOSE are the kind of genetic modifications it's best to avoid.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards