Wedding Woes
Options

:: kuus ::

i would like to hear the story of when a friend confessed to you that he was in love with you and you did not feel the same.

Re: :: kuus ::

• Options
    ReturnOfKuusReturnOfKuus member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Oh lord.  That was awkward.

I don't even know that we were exactly friends at the time.  I mean, maybe we were becoming friends, but basically he was this guy who sat next to me in a class, with whom I chit-chatted a little before and after class.  He had actually asked me for my number in the first week of class, but I said that I had a boyfriend and no thanks, and I thought that was that.

I was wrong.  On the last day of class, he asked if I'd like to grab a snack at the soup stand afterward, and of course, I agreed.  He'd mentioned that he had written an original screenplay, and I figured this was when he was going to let me read it and tell him what I thought.  Wrong again.

So I get my biscuit and orange juice and sit down, and he starts pacing in front of me (I thought maybe he was going to do a dramatic recitation, which would be awkward enough), then blurts out that he's in love with me and couldn't bear the thought of the class being over and never seeing me again.  You can imagine what my face looks like at this point.  I mean, wtf at "in love" - we barely knew each other.  But of course he "just knew" like yesterday's 19 year old beebee.  I told him that I still had the same boyfriend that I had told him about at the beginning of the semester, and that all I had to offer anyone was friendship, and he agreed that it was better than nothing, but asked that I please at least consider him as a boyfriend rather than dismissing him out of hand.  Because my boyfriend at the time was Dumpster Dave, I agreed to think about it, but warned him that the chances that I would change my mind were slim to none.

So anyway, he gets my phone number out of the school directory and calls me a few days later.  I gave this another wtf face, but as I was a lot nicer as an 18 year old than I am now, I tactfully didn't mention it or his dramatic confession, and we actually had a good conversation about the hermeneutic values of different movies and books.  Over about two months we got to be actual friends, I thought, and I assumed that now that he does know me he doesn't have this idea of a fantasy girl with my face that he's in love with any more.  Wrong yet again.  Abruptly he called me one night and gave me this dramatic "it's Dumpster Dave or me" speech, and I hung up on him, and he called over and over for the next few hours (based on the messages on the machine; I turned the ringer off on the phone after the third call).  He called the next day and asked what my decision was, and I told him neither of them and to never call me again, and oddly, he listened.

Update coming in a few minutes.

• Options
    hmonkeyhmonkey member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    :: googles "hermaneutics" ::
  • Options
    mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_kuus-51?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:72e8cc9a-7b29-4bb0-88aa-e2bbe192794ePost:e8985216-f85f-43a0-a0e4-6205d0938957">Re: :: kuus ::</a>:
    [QUOTE]:: googles "hermaneutics" ::
    Posted by hmonkey[/QUOTE]

I did that, but I think I'm even more confused now.  ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The update:

So last year (over a decade after the events above), I open my Facebook, and there's a friend request from this guy, with private message attached.  I laughed like a loon for a good five minutes, and then opened the message.  It was an apology for how he'd behaved back then, and a statement of understanding if I didn't want to accept the friend request, but if I did, then he'd love to catch up via computer.  Figuring that you all would hear this story eventually, and the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one, I accepted.

After the initial hey, how are you, etc. via instant chat, he got to the meat of it: he was having love life troubles, and remembered that I was smart and wanted some advice.  See that story above?  Make it the same exact story, but change me to some coworker of his that is 21 (over a decade younger than him), and change her boyfriend from Dumpster Dave to some 30 year old skateboard riding dude who steals drugs from pharmacies.  And you guys, whyyyyy does this keep happening to him?  WHY?!  They're meant to be together, he just knows it, and if only he could get her to see that and dump her boyfriend for him, life would be perfect.

After I stopped laughing enough to at least no longer be doubled over, I told him that he was the problem here, and gave him every excruciating detail about how I felt about the experience I'd had in college with him confessing and whatnot, and told him that she's never ever ever going to date him, and that I admired how tactful yet clear she was being in her lack of intention toward him.  And I told him that if he hadn't progressed at all emotionally in his interactions with women since he was 19, then he needed more help than I could offer and should consult a professional (not a hooker; I was very clear about that).

Long story short, he appreciated it, we kept in touch, he did get some mega therapy, and is now in a long-term relationship with a woman who said yes to the first offer for a date, and it looks like that's getting serious.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh Kuus...I love it when you use your powers for good!
  • Options
    TheDuckisTheDuckis member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think this is the best kuus story ever.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think my favorite part might be the soup stand. wtf?
  • Options
    hmonkeyhmonkey member
    edited December 2011
    my favorite part is that kuus thinks a snack is a biscuit and some oj. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    College student Kuus couldn't exactly afford wine and caviar.
  • Options
    hmonkeyhmonkey member
    edited December 2011
    so when you told him that he needs to stop acting crazy, what did he say?  was he all "my mind?  IT IS BLOWN" or did he try to argue with you?

if he got all darlinpenguin on you, i will die so just tell me he did.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_kuus-51?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:72e8cc9a-7b29-4bb0-88aa-e2bbe192794ePost:b5052ae1-78a6-4633-a280-3992f1771fa4">Re: :: kuus ::</a>:
    [QUOTE]College student Kuus couldn't exactly afford wine and caviar.
    Posted by ReturnOfKuus[/QUOTE]

i think even if you could have afforded it, you would not have purchased it on principle.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    He was totally DarlinPenguin.  In fact, I was like, where are your friends and why aren't they telling you this?! to which he replied that only one of his friends believed in him.  She too was in a challenging relationship (with a married man), but her psychic assured her that both her relationship and my college buddy's sitch would end in a happily ever after.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_kuus-51?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:72e8cc9a-7b29-4bb0-88aa-e2bbe192794ePost:483f5ae8-ab69-402d-992e-4fed8337e329">Re: :: kuus ::</a>:
    [QUOTE]He was totally DarlinPenguin.  In fact, I was like, where are your friends and why aren't they telling you this?! to which he replied that only one of his friends believed in him. <strong> She too was in a challenging relationship (with a married man), but her psychic assured her that both her relationship and my college buddy's sitch would end in a happily ever after.</strong>

*ded*  <em>::rises up:</em>:  *ded again*
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I thought that was a hoot, too.  It's what changed my mind from "I'll talk to him just this once for the story" to "this is entertaining enough to talk to him every few weeks or so".
  • Options
    hmonkeyhmonkey member
    edited December 2011
    :: gives kuus a big, uncomfortable hug ::

i love this story.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_kuus-51?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:72e8cc9a-7b29-4bb0-88aa-e2bbe192794ePost:de0617cd-ed6f-4af9-a2c7-72b9289c3f48">Re: :: kuus ::</a>:
    [QUOTE]I thought that was a hoot, too.  It's what changed my mind from "I'll talk to him just this once for the story" to "this is entertaining enough to talk to him every few weeks or so".

And he obviously needs you.  I have a feeling if you aren't around this could turn into 'one step forward, three giant leaps back'.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards