Wedding Woes
Options

Foodies/winos, I need help

I'm hosting Easter, and I'm serving ham.  I never make ham, so I have no idea what kind of wine to pair with it.  WWWWD?

Re: Foodies/winos, I need help

• Options
    **Stinky!****Stinky!** member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hold on, let me go get our go-to foodie: Carrann.
  • Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hmmm, we just drink what we like, but wouldn't the glaze/prep make a difference? 
  • Options
    HeffalumpHeffalump member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_foodieswinos-need?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:738dd578-a013-45ed-b384-4731a2fa8d72Post:5063de50-eb77-4381-b8b2-eafb68b8fda1">Re: Foodies/winos, I need help</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hmmm, we just drink what we like, but wouldn't the glaze/prep make a difference? 
    Posted by 6fsn[/QUOTE]

I suppose, maybe.  I haven't thought that far ahead yet.

Is something sparkling, like a nice prosecco, a good option?  I'm thinking it's light and crisp enough to cut the salty richness of the ham.  Or, along those lines, maybe a nice Sauvignon blanc? 

I may have to start Googling, but I trust y'all's judgment more than random interwebs articles.
  • Options
    hmonkeyhmonkey member
    edited December 2011
    i'd say a fruity sweet wine, and my go for that is a riesling.
  • Options
    *Barbie**Barbie* member
    edited December 2011
    how about an off-dry riesling? 

B. Lovely is a good bet - fairly inexpensive (about $9/bottle)
  • Options
    SchmoopitaSchmoopita member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I second Riesling. Columbia Crest is very good but it is one of the sweeter Rieslings. I like Schmitt-Sohne. Bright blue bottle. Any of the three they make. Also Chateau Ste. Michelle is good, a little less sweet then the ones above.
  • Options
    *Barbie**Barbie* member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_foodieswinos-need?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:738dd578-a013-45ed-b384-4731a2fa8d72Post:8743c5d8-12cd-45eb-a048-79da04894af7">Re: Foodies/winos, I need help</a>:
    [QUOTE]I second Riesling. Columbia Crest is very good but it is one of the sweeter Rieslings. I like Schmitt-Sohne. Bright blue bottle. Any of the three they make. Also Chateau Ste. Michelle is good, a little less sweet then the ones above.
    Posted by Schmoopita[/QUOTE]

<div>I had a bottle (187mL) of Schmitt Sohne last night. That one runs about $8 for a 750mL bottle. </div><div>Washington Hills makes a good Riesling too - green label  on the bottle - same price range - $8-10/bottle. </div>
  • Options
    *Candi**Candi* member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love love love riesling and think it would be great with the ham.
  • Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    edited December 2011

We call it the bright blue bottle of happiness.  mmm

I have to say that the Aldi Reisling is quite good and even cheaper.

• Options
    baconsmombaconsmom member
    5 Love Its First Answer First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I'll second a Prosecco, but that's because it's Easter! Celebrate! Have something sparkling!

Otherwise, I'd just drink what you like. It's ham, I think it's pretty versatile. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards