Washington-Seattle
Options

Total silence from a vendor?

I'm a little freaked out by this...

We booked our florist awhile ago. He's always been very responsive, very quick to answer emails, etc. We'd booked him at a pretty high price point. Since then, I've decided to dramatically scale back what he was providing. As in, the deposit we paid would likely be a little over what he'd actually be doing for us.

Since then, I cannot get a return email or call back. I've emailed three times and called twice. Nothing. He has a pretty substantial amount of our money as a deposit and is now totally silent. I'm worried that he's pretty much blowing us off now that we lowered the budget (and that is absurd because it's still a lot of money).

At this point, WWYD? It's still a long ways away so maybe he just isn't responding because he is working with other brides, but it's also the down season and he was always super responsive before... I'm really worried about this.

Re: Total silence from a vendor?

• Options
    dmw_2010dmw_2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I'd be frustrated and furious as well, if it were me.  However, I'd cut him a bit of slack unitl after the holidays - he may be taking time off since it's his slow season.  Is there someone else there you can contact, or is he a one-man show?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    When did the first "I think we may scale back" email go out?

In general I've found that vendors don't always set out-of-office messages, and even when they're answering email there's often a 2- or 3-day lag depending on luck, how busy they are, whatever.

1st year anniversary in Victoria with a killer whale topiary!
  • Options
    jennuinnejennuinne member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, he may be pre-occupied with the holidays.  If it goes on too long, can you contact him in person?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ditto PPs - give him a week or two in case if he's taking time off while he can during the slow season.  I'd say send another email or leave another message after a week, kind of a "Don't know if you got my other email" sort of thing.  I have had it where a vendor's email they sent me didn't come through to me (spam box) even though we'd emailed back and forth prior.  One thing I've noticed about florists is they are a totally different animal. 

And if after a couple weeks you still haven't heard from him, then I would send him a certified letter explaining how due to financial changes that were unforseen, you both had to scale back on the budget and if it's not worthwhile for him to do so, then you would be fine with him cancelling the contract and refunding your deposit.  If he does want to keep the business, then he needs to contact you back immediately.  And that's a letter where I'd give him 10 days to respond before you take further action.

Hopefully it won't get to that point and his non-responsiveness right now has a good reason.
    Family fall photo session with Ashley Hoyle Photography
    Married 7/10/10
    Wedding Planning Bio - Updated 6/13/2010
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Scary! I'm really sorry you are going through this. I am not sure if I would give him that much time. Have you actually called him or gone to his place of business? i would do what Tygirl suggested and maybe give him a few weeks because it is holiday season.. but after that, send a letter saying that further action will be taken if you don't get a response. Scary!
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker we're having twins!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am pretty sure that it's been 2 weeks or more since the first email... so, yeah, hitting the scary point since he always answered within 1-2 days before.

I sent another email today, and will try swinging by the office next week if I still haven't heard. EEK!
  • Options
    jeannigirljeannigirl member
    edited December 2011
    Yes I think that first I would try placing a call to him, sometimes the internet isn't always reliable and people's email gets kinda of funky. If you do not get a response within 2 days of a phone call then I would make a trip to the flowershop and speak with him face to face. It is the Christmas season so he may be pretty busy with that and also December Brides.

Take a deep breath and don't panic. I think the letter would be the very last resort if you can't get a response from him with a phone call or face to face. The letter is a good thing to fall back on. I probably would draft one to be on the safe side to be prepared if he doesn't respond.
  • Options
    melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Does your contract allow you to do this? I'm thinking he may say OK to the changes, but keep the full amount of your deposit as payment (in which case maybe you can add another arrangement or have a credit with them for the remainder).

Is it nearby? I would send a follow-up e-mail and give it a few more days. If you get no answer, I would show up there to discuss.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, our contract is pretty basic and allows changes until pretty close up. I'm not really worried about the difference between the deposit and what I want now, it's really minimal. My bigger fear was that he was just so mad at me for changing that he was going to blow me off or something... and that didn't seem like him at all.

Anyway, GREAT NEWS! He emailed me today and said he's just been slammed with holiday decor stuff and he can meet with me next week to go over the new plan. I'm so relieved. It's funny how things tend to work out right after a Knot post. Must be good Knot vibes :)
  • Options
    jeannigirljeannigirl member
    edited December 2011
    clapping hands and say yeah, now you can get it all straightened out.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Great! I was just going to post giving my support, hadn't checked this thread yet today, and then I see this! I'm glad everything worked out! And he sounds like a very nice person. Good luck w/ your new arrangements!
    Married 7/17/2010 Photobucket PersonalMilestone
  • Options
    edited December 2011

That is relieving and great news!  Glad it's all working out!

Family fall photo session with Ashley Hoyle Photography
    Married 7/10/10
    Wedding Planning Bio - Updated 6/13/2010
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Great!
    Daisypath Vacation tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards