Wedding Woes

Lost my engagement ring, should I replace it?

I was cooking last week and put my ring in my back pocket so it wouldn't slip off in the food/down the drain. As soon as I cut into the onion I was using, I found it was rotten. I grabbed my keys, phone and wallet and ran out to the supermarket, extremely annoyed. I came home, cooked and cleaned up for a total of about 1.5 hours, and when I went to put the ring back on, GONE. I freaked out, turned my house upside down, and ran to the store. I remembered I put my phone in my back pocket (like and IDIOT) and I must have taken it out while I was in the store/parking lot, taking the ring with it.

My fiance is being much nicer to me than he should, but he's still really upset and hurt that I "thought so little of the ring he picked out for me that I would just shove it in my back pocket as if it were worth nothing." Ouch. My insurance will most likely cover the majority of it because even though it was lost and not technically stolen, it was still removed from private property and therefore, me and the store both have a claim to ownership over whoever found it and didn't turn it in. I filed a police report and my insurance agent thinks I'll get enough to cover something very similar, but my fiance is mad that I even suggested getting a new ring. He thinks that if it's not the one he propsed with then what's the point?

I actually agree with him, but it doesn't change the fact that I want to be able to show people my ring because we just got engaged a WEEK before I lost it. Ugh. I hate even talking about it. Anyway, what do you all think? Should I convince him to let me replace the ring or should I just drop it? I don't even mind getting the same setting and having it fitted with a CZ, which would total around $1,000 instead of the $5k he spent, I just hate not having a ring on my finger when I tell people we got engaged. Thanks guys.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Lost my engagement ring, should I replace it?

• He spent 5K on a ring and didn't get it insured? That's absurd.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kaco414kaco414 member
    First Comment
    edited October 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_lost-my-engagement-ring-should-i-replace-it?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:807edd6f-3d72-41a6-b252-21a4060047e5Post:cae8f040-e561-4b04-a7a2-31a627e06fdd">Re: Lost my engagement ring, should I replace it?</a>:
    [QUOTE]He spent 5K on a ring and didn't get it insured? That's absurd.
    Posted by ElleB87[/QUOTE]

I was in charge of adding it to my homeowner's insurance but I forgot the appraisal the day I was going to fax the paperwork from work, then I lost it 2 days later. Also, the cost of replacing it isn't really the issue, it's the fact that a replacement doesn't have the same sentimental value.
  • I'm so sorry that happened! It's not your fault at all, it was a simple mistake that ANYONE could make. It's just bad luck. It doesn't mean you're a bad fiance or person. I don't really know what to tell you, I think that your man just needs some time. You've done everything you can, and now he just needs some time to cool off and let it process. I think that he'll come around. This situation doesn't mean that you're irresponsible or immature at all. It was an accident and I'm sure you feel terrible! You've done all that you can and now it's his turn to take some time to think about it. That's all I can tell you, but I'm here for moral support. If anything, this situation will make your guys' relationship stronger, if that makes sense. Just give it time, it'll work itself out.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Methinks you need to invest in a ring dish to keep in the kitchen.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_lost-my-engagement-ring-should-i-replace-it?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:807edd6f-3d72-41a6-b252-21a4060047e5Post:63a4daa9-dd61-4c53-8895-260e4b7887e4">Re: Lost my engagement ring, should I replace it?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Methinks you need to invest in a ring dish to keep in the kitchen.
    Posted by ahstillwell[/QUOTE]

Trust me, if I ever get it back it will be in two places- on my finger, or in the box it came in INSIDE of a drawer!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_lost-my-engagement-ring-should-i-replace-it?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:807edd6f-3d72-41a6-b252-21a4060047e5Post:7ee9dec7-20f7-41fc-b5fb-ab7fcfc201ee">Re: Lost my engagement ring, should I replace it?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm so sorry that happened! It's not your fault at all, it was a simple mistake that ANYONE could make. It's just bad luck. It doesn't mean you're a bad fiance or person. I don't really know what to tell you, I think that your man just needs some time. You've done everything you can, and now he just needs some time to cool off and let it process. I think that he'll come around. This situation doesn't mean that you're irresponsible or immature at all. It was an accident and I'm sure you feel terrible! You've done all that you can and now it's his turn to take some time to think about it. That's all I can tell you, but I'm here for moral support. If anything, this situation will make your guys' relationship stronger, if that makes sense. Just give it time, it'll work itself out.
    Posted by missyjp94[/QUOTE]

...how the heck is this not her fault? Only a total moron or a child would risk not having such a valuable thing insured. Would you go a week or two without house insurance, car insurance, health insurance or life insurance? If your answer is yes than you are just as immature as OP.

And how in hades is this supposed to strengthen their relationship? You sound like you're either really young or you've watched too many cheesy rom-coms. Get your head out of your arse and grow up.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My FI would flip his lid and he didn't even spend 5 grand! The most important thing ever attached/worn on my body at any time since the engagement in February is this ring! I took it to get it sized ASAP and I have ensured that the value of the ring will be covered under insurance. Even though, I would never put it in my pocket! For God sake, walk into the bedroom and put it in the box, on the night stand, or somewhere at least remotely safe! I think you should pay to replace the ring and you should be more worried about losing it for sentimental reasons rather than because your not sure if you will get something as nice! If I was your FI I wouldn't get you anything else. This is slightly more than ridiculous!
  • I'm chiming in a little late but these people are being WAY too harsh.  People make mistakes!  People misplace things!  It is NOT a sign of being immature, it is human nature.  How dare you people come onto a message board and call this woman out when she already feels so low already?  You're terrible, judgmental people with bitterness issues if you ask me. 

Anyway, to answer the question at hand, I would replace the ring because accidents happen and that's what your insurance is for. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards