Wedding Woes

WDWWT? Pro-Santa or anti-Santa?

Some people think it's basically lying to the kids.  Other people don't do Santa for religious reasons.  I'm in the "harmless fun" camp.  I remember furiously scanning the skies for Rudolph's nose on Christmas Eve, and being so excited that I thought I'd never fall asleep. 

WDWWT?

Re: WDWWT? Pro-Santa or anti-Santa?

• edited December 2011
    harmless. I didn't have santa growing up because we were religious, but I saw how fun it was for my neices and nephews, and they don't distrust my siblings. We'll see when I'm actually a parent, because maybe I'll want credit for the gifts :)
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    harmless fun
  • edited December 2011
    I was told that my father golfed with the tooth fairy and Hanukkah Harry the Hanukkah Fairy.
  • HeffalumpHeffalump member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_wdwwt-pro-santa-anti-santa?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:85440dee-f8e3-432b-b2ef-4a317eabbecfPost:6b5290c7-d9cf-47b8-84b6-83f6ebd10011">Re: WDWWT? Pro-Santa or anti-Santa?</a>:
    [QUOTE]harmless. I didn't have santa growing up because we were religious, but I saw how fun it was for my neices and nephews, and they don't distrust my siblings. <strong>We'll see when I'm actually a parent, because maybe I'll want credit for the gifts :)
    </strong>Posted by Cant_wait![/QUOTE]
    LOL.  DH was like "Are you SURE Santa should get all the credit for the play kitchen?  Because that thing is pretty awesome.  What if our gifts look like crap next to that?"

I think he was <em>mostly</em> kidding.
  • edited December 2011
    I guess you get credit as the gift giver eventually, when the kids realizes there is no santa.
  • zsazsa-stlzsazsa-stl member
    First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Harmless fun.  Actually, i would even make an argument for it being beneficial.  It gets kids to open their minds to larger possibilities.  I remember how excited I was for Santa every year and I can't imagine denying a kid that same pure joy.  If you do it right it doesn't detract from Jesus.

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • DG1DG1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    harmless fun

• Butter CookieButter Cookie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Harmless fun, IMO.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • ReturnOfKuusReturnOfKuus member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    definitely harmless fun
  • GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    My dad once explained a better logic behind the chrisitian 'anti-santa' attitude some people have--we give Santa the qualities of God--omnipresent, all knwoing, etc.  And then...the kid finds out that the kid-god is a lie.  That's setting up for a disappointment in believing things that are 'bigger' than what we see.

But he wasn't anti-santa.
    I'm not anti-santa, I like santa-- there will be santa this year even.

But I do think it can go to far and I do think soetimes the over-push to believe comes to a point where it's gas-lighting the kids, and that makes me uncomfortable.
    I mean, it wuldn't be cool to 'trick' an adult into not beleiving his/her own senses, it's not cool to do that to a kid.  (and I"m not talking sleigh bells in the hallway or using different wrapping paper or what not.  I'm talking climbing on roofs and making tracks on them, etc)
  • notamrsnotamrs member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Harmless fun.  I grew up conservative and very religous (Southern Baptist) and we always had Santa.
  • TheDuckisTheDuckis member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think families that are anti-santa are setting their kids up for a lot more disappointment than families that aren't.
  • baconsmombaconsmom member
    5 Love Its First Answer First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I hate those smug, anti-Santa fckers. Bitches, where's your joy in life? 

Obviously, I am hugely pro-Santa. Everybody deserves to believe in magic, at least for five or ten years of your life. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards