Wedding Woes
Options

WDWWT?

Teacher tells graduates they aren't special. 

Snippet:

Contrary to what your soccer trophy suggests, your glowing seventh grade report card, despite every assurance of a certain corpulent purple dinosaur, that nice Mister Rogers and your batty Aunt Sylvia, no matter how often your maternal caped crusader has swooped in to save you … you’re nothing special,” McCullough said.

Video

Re: WDWWT?

• Options
    Are these HS or college graduates?
  • Options
    GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    the excerpts make it sound worse than it is when you watch the whole thing, IMO.

I think some of what he says has merit/is amusing, etc...but I also think painting them all with the 'you're rich and spoiled' brush looses im some credability.  Because I don't care how yuppie and wealthy the school is, there are kids there who have struggled and were abused/abandoned/parentless/whatever--and saying their accomplishments so far aren't special isn't really helpful.

If he's actually a 'popular' and successful and kind teacher who has the ear of these kids (as opposed toa grumpy disillusioned sourpuss), I'm willing to give benefit of the doubt, because the *whole* video is a lot more palatable--basically saying 'so you're all starting as a HS graduate--where you go now is up to you--go for it!'--at least that's how I heard it.
  • Options
    I agree GBCK...he's terribly funny.  And I really liked his speech. 

This speech was for a HS graduations, Conn.
  • Options
    It's true.  They aren't special.  Did people get upset about this? 

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think some people did, zsa.  But then again...some people really think they ARE spayshul.
  • Options
    I find this interesting.  You know the students are peeved about it b/c until you're about 25-26, you think you are special, unique and different from everyone else.  It's part of being self-absorbed and being young.  That I can forgive, they really can't help it.  It's part of their brain chemistry.

I think the parents are probably upset b/c with this new style of parenting, most of them do think their children are special and unique and different from everyone else.  That one I don't forgive b/c they've lived through this, they'd be helping their kid out more by teaching them to do the best that their individual abilities allow and disregarding their status with/against everyone else.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_wdwwt-41?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:8577709e-1325-420a-b1f2-494e1911fecbPost:ac92b296-9cec-428d-b2b4-1466c5006dd5">Re: WDWWT?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>It's true.  They aren't special</strong>.  Did people get upset about this? 
    Posted by zsazsa-stl[/QUOTE]

I don't understand why people continue to think that just because you make it through HS, you've accomplished something.   Yes, you've made it 18 years with no deaths and have basic life skills. 

You still need to go make something of yourself.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_wdwwt-41?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:8577709e-1325-420a-b1f2-494e1911fecbPost:01047e12-f012-462b-b07c-11ce5923e5ab">Re: WDWWT?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: WDWWT? :<strong> I don't understand why people continue to think that just because you make it through HS, you've accomplished something</strong>.   Yes, you've made it 18 years with no deaths and have basic life skills.  You still need to go make something of yourself.
    Posted by mrs.conn23[/QUOTE]

OMG - they make a big deal out of graduating kindergarten (woohoo!), elementary school and 8th grade.   WTELMF...

And I love this speech.   Someone needs to break it to these kids.
  • Options
    GBCKGBCK member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_wdwwt-41?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:8577709e-1325-420a-b1f2-494e1911fecbPost:01047e12-f012-462b-b07c-11ce5923e5ab">Re: WDWWT?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: WDWWT? : I don't understand why people continue to think that just because you make it through HS, you've accomplished something.   Yes, you've made it 18 years with no deaths and have basic life skills.  You still need to go make something of yourself.
    Posted by mrs.conn23[/QUOTE]

<div>I really think (or would like to think) that the 'big deal' behind HS graduation in the US has to do more w/ 'you're an adult now, yay!' than "you made it!"</div>
  • Options
    GBCKGBCK member
    Kuus, WTF...5-sided-snowflakes?

*hairy eyeball*
  • Options
    Eh, good message, not exactly the best forum or the best execution in message. Like dredging up all the family skeletons in a eulogy speech. The HSers have their entire twenties to have their egos crushed like insects. Why piss on their graduation day?
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_wdwwt-41?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:8577709e-1325-420a-b1f2-494e1911fecbPost:1a795615-42f0-46c3-929c-b5946f14e05f">Re: WDWWT?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Kuus, WTF...5-sided-snowflakes? *hairy eyeball*
    Posted by GBCK[/QUOTE]
    This is probably a stupid question, but - are snowflakes *not* 5-sided or something? <div>
    </div><div>Be gentle. I'm a writer. </div>
  • Options
    Hey, I don't make the despair.com posters!
  • Options
    GBCKGBCK member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_wdwwt-41?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:8577709e-1325-420a-b1f2-494e1911fecbPost:2bd0c7c9-1f63-4961-861e-24b1f6942249">Re: WDWWT?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: WDWWT? : This is probably a stupid question, but - are snowflakes *not* 5-sided or something?  Be gentle. I'm a writer. 
    Posted by baconsmom[/QUOTE]

<div>Never.</div><div>They're actually always 6 sided because of the structure of water. (this has pictures:  <a href="http://www.doublexscience.org/2012/02/why-are-snowflakes-always-six-sided.html" rel="nofollow">http://www.doublexscience.org/2012/02/why-are-snowflakes-always-six-sided.html</a>)</div><div>
    </div><div>I actually get hostile in stores about this around Christmas, but that's because I'm pendantic and difficult.</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>Kuss, I'll assume @ despair.com, they were highlighting the irony :-P</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards