Wedding Woes
Options

Barbie

If you want fruit trees, be prepared to want other things - like flies, wasps, bees, gnats and critters - mice, rats, racoons, armadillos, etc.

Our neighbors have them and our dogs are up barking at all hours of the night from the critters crawling on our fence to get to the fruit at night.
imageimage

Re: Barbie

• Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    I want an armadillo
  • Options
    thanks for the advice - have you noticed that some fruit is worse than others? 

The birds got all of my blueberries this past spring, and the squirrels went after the tomatoes. 

DH and I were talking about armadillos the other day - I heard that they are garden pests in TX - we figured Rogue would have fun with them - she'd think they were toys. 
  • Options
    Fig trees are beacons for birds and bugs. My lemon tree didn't get many attacks, though.
  • Options
    I was looking more towards citrus (oranges/lemons/limes/kumquats) and pomegranate, possibly pecans
  • Options
    We had an orange tree in PHX, and it didn't attract anything. Of course, there's little to attract in PHX, but what there was didn't seem especially interested. 
  • Options
    All fruit trees around here are bad re: bugs and critters, IMO.

FTR, the dogs ARE inside at night.  See, we have these things called windows - do you have them in your area?  Maybe not.  They're clear barriers traditionally put in homes, offices and cars - you can see straight through them.  Anyways.  When they hear something scampering through the back yard, the dogs look through the windows and go BSC.
    imageimage
  • Options
    we're used to the dogs (well, the little one) going BSC at night - the plow sets him off, and we've had plenty of that the last few months. 

Rogue is pretty quiet - it takes a lot to get her to bark. 

critters don't bother them (at least for now) - we've got groundhogs, raccoons, skunks, and a fox in our neighborhood. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards