Washington-Seattle

BM Gifts/ Shoes

I was thinking about getting my girls brown flip flops from old navy to match their chocolate brown BM dresses, a fun painted wine glass, and possible jewerly to wear on the day of.

I haven't bought jewerly for them yet but I need to keep it affordable. Should I just get them necklaces? Where should I look? I have no idea what type of necklace to get-what matches with a chocolate brown taffeta sweetheart tea lenght gown? Do I consider what I am wearing? Any ideas? I have 7 girls to buy for and need to keep it cheap as possible without looking so.

Next question- what color shoes to go with the dress? I was thinking about letting them choose their shoes since I can not pay for them but I wanted to give them one or so color options. Red is also a color in my wedding and the color of my shoes. Do you think red and brown will clash or make to big of a statement?

TIA!

Re: BM Gifts/ Shoes

• edited December 2011
    I think the red and brown combination will go really well together.  For necklaces, maybe something like brown with a red pendant of some sort?I can't think of anyplace cheap to go to off the top of my head.  I think it would also be nice to have different color dress/shoes. If your wearing red shoes, you may want to have the girls wear another color like black or gold-ish.
  • edited December 2011
    For cheaper necklaces and other jewelry, try Fred Meyer's. I've bought jewelry from there before and they have a nice range and I don't think it looks cheap. And I also think that red shoes would be cool looking. It would definitely make a statement. Good luck!
     Oh, and I didn't mean necessarily Fred Meyer's Jeweler, I meant the gift items by the other accessories. Hope I didn't cause confusion!
    Married 7/17/2010 Photobucket PersonalMilestone
  • edited December 2011
    I'm doing flip flops for my girls too!  Well, for them to change into once the reception gets going.  I think red would work well with the brown, depending on the undertone of each (i.e. warm brown + warm red vs. cool brown + cool red).  As for jewelry, I believe Macy's has a pretty decent jewelry clearance every year right around February - maybe wait until next month then start checking their website or stopping into a store?  And like PP, I mean the "fashion" jewelry, not the real jewelery (unless you have the budget for that, then go for it!).
    Family fall photo session with Ashley Hoyle Photography
    Married 7/10/10
    Wedding Planning Bio - Updated 6/13/2010
    Anniversary
  • melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would do gold shoes. I think red would call a lot of (unecessary?) attention to the BM's feet, whereas gold would be more neutral and complementary. And red is a tough color...first I'm not entirely convinced it looks that great with brown (in terms of a dress/show combo...camel or light brown I could see...but I can't picture chocolate brown). Second, red is a color that can easily look cheap (IMO). Ever look at an inexpensive red car vs a high-end red car? The color is so much richer.

As far as jewelry, I am just always anti-costume jewelry. I am usually alone in my camp though! =) If you really want to do jewelry, I would either get inexpensive gold studs or gold necklace pendants they can wear on a chain of their own. If you get them on sale and/or have a coupon, they're fairly inexpensive.
  • jennuinnejennuinne member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would do gold shoes. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I like the idea of red shoes, with a red necklace of some sort.  But I also like the idea of gold.  Have you considered DIYing the jewelry?  I'm going to (try to) DIY glass bead necklaces for my girls if they pick a dress that looks good with a necklace.  Knottie michelle142 over on the DIY board made some very simple, but pretty necklaces that I think pretty much anyone can do (and if she doesn't have instructions in her bio, I bet she'd email them to you).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Kaye SmithKaye Smith member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think red shoes would look good, but for some reason, i'm always a fan of metallic (gold or silver) shoes too.  i would also look at etsy for cheaper bridesmaid jewelry. 
  • edited December 2011
    I would go with gold/champagne colored shoes. More neutral. Reds get hard to match and if you have them just pick or use their own, you're opening up a headache of shades (anything from orangey to cheapy stripper red to garnet).

As for jewelry, I make jewelry on the side and it's actually pretty easy. Start up costs aren't going to be much either, 1 roll of tigertail (nylon coated wire) is around $4, needlenose pliers which you may have, and a crimp tool (cheap ones about $7). I think pearls always lok pretty and classy, and you can do swarovski which are cheaper than real pearls. I think brown, champagne, or red would all look lovely.

Quick Google pulled this up, on clearance at Penneys. Depending on the color in person, it would look pretty and nice. Then you could have your MOH stand out with a red necklace. www.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?DeptID=67718&CatID=67718&Grptyp=PRD&ItemId=172dad0&cm_mmc=ShoppingFeed-_-Google-_-Jewelry-_-Worthington%20Twist%20Brown%20Pearl%20Necklace" target="_blank">JCPenney
    Daisypath Vacation tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I would also choose gold shoes. I was a BM in a wedding a couple years ago where we wore long strapless brown gowns & the bride bought us all gold flip flops from Target. I still have them & I wear them all the time! Even to work in the summer with cute dresses!

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/184-5002191-9004523?ASIN=B000IELP5M&AFID=Froogle&LNM=B000IELP5M|Mossimo_Bronze_Garren_Glitter_Thong_-_10&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=B000IELP5M&ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001

And they are SUPER cheap! If your BMs were wearing long dresses, I think red flip flops would be super cute, kinda of peek-a-boo. But I think with a tea length dress they just might stand out a little too much.

Also, jewelry... I think Target, Freddys, Khols, JC Pennys even will all have great priced nice looking jewelry to choose from.

Here's a couple ideas to start with, not sure if you'll like them, or what type of jewelry you had in mind...

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/jewelry/necklacespendants/fashion/PRD~334632/Chaps+SilverTone+Beaded+Coral+Necklace.jsp

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/jewelry/necklacespendants/fashion/PRD~432721/Chaps+SilverTone+Beaded+Illusion+Necklace.jsp

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/jewelry/necklacespendants/fashion/PRD~549114/SilverTone+Crystal+Heart+Pendant.jsp#

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/jewelry/fashionjewelry/sets/PRD~566975/Croft+and+Barrow+SilverTone+Crystal+Beaded+Pendant+and+Drop+Earring+Set.jsp
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards