Wedding Woes
Options

Update to the "Oh White People" from a few days ago

I decided that for our Christmas dinner with DH's family, I'd bake a bunch of Christmas cookies for dessert. And I decided to make almond bars because I do love them. A key ingredient is almond paste, and that's not something you find in the grocery store (at least not here).

So I know my mom has some and I asked if I could have some. And guess what...she doesn't have enough. I asked her where she got her almond paste. From the Dutch bakery back home. Is there a Dutch bakery here in AZ? No.

So I'm getting shamed for not making something I can't even make. Insert large eye roll. I'm glad that these are my issues wiht them though.

Re: Update to the "Oh White People" from a few days ago

• Options
    Is the almond paste you use different from marzipan? Because I know you can find marzipan in specialty grocers - maybe AJs? 

Not that you have to. I just like to solve problems. 
  • Options
    I think it is different. I don't know though. I'm not going to work on finding that stuff.
  • Options
    amazon?
  • Options
    World Market?
  • Options
    Whole Foods?

Come on, PMEG!   Put some effort into it or they'll take away your white card.
  • Options

yes, you don't want to lose your "witte kaart." 

... although, if you do put that much effort into a damn cookie, you just might earn yourself a yellow card.

• Options
    I don't think I ever had a Dutch white card. I lost it when my mom married a non-Dutch person and gave me a non-Dutch first name, and sent me to public school that did not teach Dutch as a second language. All of that effort is not worth it. I've got sugar cookies, gingerbread, chocolate cheesecake peppermint bars, and white chocolate macadamia nut cookies to make. I'll just eat banket, speculaas, and olie bolden at my mom's house with a side of faux shame.
  • Options
    :: tucks yellow card back into deisgner purse ::
  • Options
    Are you sure you can't find almond paste at your grocery store? My mom makes almond cookies too and she lives in BFE northeastern Michigan (100 miles from the nearest freeway) and her grocery store sells almond paste. I think they keep it somewhere weird, like by the birthday candles. It comes in a can.
  • Options
    Often US grocery stores carry baking ingredents around Christmas that they don't carry the rest of the year so you might check your local stores (and I realize it is too late for this year).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards