Wedding Woes
Options

You don't say.

NESS, England, April 30 (UPI) -- A British widow said she has kept a life-size cardboard cutout of her husband since he died last year.

Maria Challis, 36, of Ness, England, said the cutout of her late husband, Paul, 38, was made for his funeral in July 2009 and she could not bring herself to throw it away after the service, the Daily Record reported Friday.

Challis said she keeps the cutout in the family home she shares with children Jack, 7, and Molly, 9.

"When you lose someone you love, you worry you'll forget them and this is our way of remembering Paul and keeping our precious memories of him alive," she said.

"He was due to go to a friend's wedding some weeks after he died. He didn't make it but his cutout did. Some people might raise eyebrows but who is anyone to say what is the right and wrong way to deal with grief?"

Re: You don't say.

• Options
    MNNEBrideMNNEBride member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer
    edited December 2011

Makes me wonder where she keeps "him" at night.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Can you imagine getting up to go to the bathroom in the dark, and seeing that in the shadows?

A nice picture in a frame works too.
  • Options
    zsazsa-stlzsazsa-stl member
    First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_dont-say-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:9f85dd84-561f-45ca-9fb0-68d64400ad8bPost:676a2295-4c94-4ee3-b5e4-2991ba7938e9">Re: You don't say.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Makes me wonder where she keeps "him" at night.
    Posted by MNNEBride[/QUOTE]

And does he have attachments?

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    HeffalumpHeffalump member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    Honestly, if DH died and I had a life-size cardboard cut-out of him, I would probably have a hard time dragging it to the curb with the rest of the recycling.  But I wouldn't bring it to a wedding as my date.  Jeebus.
  • Options
    hmonkeyhmonkey member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    my college roommates had a cutout of a busty woman holding a bottle of mickey's.  they used to hide it in the bathroom or kitchen and i would scream when i discovered her.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm wondering why the life size cut-out was needed for the funeral in the first place.
  • Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_dont-say-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:9f85dd84-561f-45ca-9fb0-68d64400ad8bPost:ba8e1889-852a-4bd3-b64b-d84eb5f098bd">Re: You don't say.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm wondering why the life size cut-out was needed for the funeral in the first place.
    Posted by NOLABridesmaid[/QUOTE]

Ding, ding, ding, ding!  Why was it even made in the first place?  I wouldn't be able to throw that out.
  • Options
    MNNEBrideMNNEBride member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer
    edited December 2011
    Exactly ZsaZsa!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    "Our way" of remembering him?  Yeah, bet the kids decided to keep a cardboard cutout as a substitute for daddy.
  • Options
    TheDuckisTheDuckis member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We didn't do this, but I joked that if my brother couldn't get leave from his deployment for our wedding that I'd get a life-sized cutout and make "him" the guest book attendant. That's not quite on the same level as doing it for a dead guy, though.

What I really want to know is why is this news?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards