Wedding Woes
Options

Happiest Time in a Bride's Life...

So I'm engaged to the love of my life.  We've spent the last few months planning every free second we have for this big, extravagant wedding with my gigantic family and all of our friends.  It's become so large that we've had to cut our friends from the ceremony and only invite them to a SECOND reception the next day.  The ceremony is on a beautiful stage that is set on a lake (that's right! a Floating Stage!) and then the first reception is supposed to be on a cruise ship and then the second reception will be at a country club.

All of this is just great and all... except I HATE all this planning!! I don't want a big wedding or a boat or a Country Club. I want to have a quick ceremony with the people who are closest to us (which doesn't mean every cousin I have all across the country!) and then a short reception with those people and then have it all be over with.  After all, it IS only a day!  What is this one day in comparison to the lifetime of happiness we're soon to enter??

And don't get me wrong, we're very happy together and very much in love and we're really excited about our future together... but between finishing my undergrad degree, working multiple jobs, trying to spend time together AND planning the wedding of the century on top of that... well, let's just say this is NOT the happiest time of my life...

So I guess what I'd like to know is... are there other brides out there that aren't exactly thrilled with the way planning has been affecting their lives and/or relationships?  Is anyone else feeling a little less than happy during their happy time?  Does anyone else just not want to do it anymore???

I'd love to hear any similar stories and especially if there are others out there who have felt half as miserable as I have lately... and any words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated as well! :)

Re: Happiest Time in a Bride's Life...

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Honestly, wedding planning doesn't have to be stressful - you're making it more complicated than it is by making a big fancy production out of it.  Why are you doing the big fancy production?  You don't want it, you hate planning it - so what's the point?  The only "requirements" for a wedding are a groom, a bride, an officiant, and (in some states) a witness or two.  I guess I just don't understand why you're putting yourself through all this stress for something you don't want.
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Options
    RaptorSLHRaptorSLH member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you don't want the big extravagant affair, don't have one.  How many STDs have you sent?  Those are the only guests set in stone.  You may lose some deposit money canceling contracts, but you'll probably also save quite a lot by scaling back.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    DG1DG1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_happiest-time-brides-life-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:a1d375c8-06aa-412f-be2b-f8dab7bf6f13Post:610924aa-3983-40ac-9af2-a02b7471d729">Re: Happiest Time in a Bride's Life...</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you don't want the big extravagant affair, don't have one.  How many STDs have you sent?  Those are the only guests set in stone.  You may lose some deposit money canceling contracts, but you'll probably also save quite a lot by scaling back.
    Posted by RaptorSLH[/QUOTE]

eh. I think even the STDs can be dealt with in a case like this. If you change from a 600-person wedding to a 50-person one, people will get that it isn't personal. (Well, sane, normal people will, anyway.) Just be sure to compensate them for any nonrefundable travel arrangements they might have made.

And yes, even if you lose your deposits, you'll still probably save money in the long run.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Not the point.  I asked if anyone else out there was uncontrollably sad, miserable, stressed out since becoming engaged and beginning plans.
  • Options
    **O-Face****O-Face** member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The answer is no.

Look at your poll.

If you're that stressed out or depressed, there is more going on than just planning.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards