Wedding Woes
Options

:: dog people ::

i don't have a dog, so i cannot complain.

Dear Amy: I own two dogs, a full-grown dog and 6-month-old puppy.

Recently, I hosted a party.  In attendance was my husband's aunt. Every time I turned around this woman was yelling at my puppy, who is well-behaved.  She yelled at the puppy when she bounded forward to greet the aunt. After that, just about every time the aunt saw my puppy she yelled at her, including when the puppy peed on the grass (like she's supposed to do).

I host a lot of parties at my home, but I'm not inclined to invite this aunt back.

This was my puppy's first party, and she did well.

My policy is if you catch my kids or dogs doing something they're not supposed to do, correct them but don't yell at them for looking at you.

What should I say next time the aunt comes for a visit?

I have no problem putting my pets outside for short visits, but when the kids are running through the house, a dog needs to enjoy it too.

I really do enjoy my husband's aunt, but her behavior was unacceptable.

— Dogged

Re: :: dog people ::

• Options
    **O-Face****O-Face** member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Why not?

"crate aunt"
  • Options
    zsazsa-stlzsazsa-stl member
    First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Last night we had six people over for dinner.  Not knowing for sure how comfortable they are with dogs I kept them locked in the laundry room until the end of the night.  The whining coming from the laundry room may have been more annoying than a dog that wants to sit under the table and sniff everyone's shoes, but I decided it was the lesser of the evils. 

But that was just dinner.  If I was having a large (i.e. longer) party the dogs would be out and people had better not yell at them for peeing in the grass.

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    **O-Face****O-Face** member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey.  It's understood...you come to our house...you deal.  You don't want to deal?  Don't come over.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Jake was acting crazy last Christmas. MIL told H to put the dog outside, or she was going to put H outside.

I vote put aunt in a crate. Clearly she can't act right.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards