Wedding Woes
Options

So, apparently I'm four, and haven't entirely figured out how to make friends.

I have these new neighbors who have invited me to a few things, like yard bonfires and parties and such.  I attend, and at the last event (a few days ago) one of them said that they'd all talked about it and that they want me to be their new friend and do stuff with them.  And when I knocked on the door to ask one to move a car that was blocking me in, there was a full-fledged stampede to the door so that they could all come and say hi, so I think they do like me.

So... what do I do?  I mean, I go to stuff when invited, and I interact, and yesterday I sent them (or the few of them that I'm fb friends with) a thank you for inviting us to the party, but is there something else I should be doing?  I'm pretty much the second most awkward person in the world (Mr. Kuus is #1), so I'm at a loss.  And you know I can't ask anyone I know in real life, since my choices are scientists, engineers, and my goofy parents.

Re: So, apparently I'm four, and haven't entirely figured out how to make friends.

• Options
    loveshine1loveshine1 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd invite them to do something with you, like lunch or a pedicure or something. I'm sure shopping isn't an option, so I won't suggest that.

You could also invite them over to your place for dinner. And if there are spouses involved, maybe Mr. Kuus could find a friend as well.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ask them to go to lunch or a movie. I would say shopping, but I know that's not your thing. Start small.

Look at you and BM making friends.:)
  • Options
    ReturnOfKuusReturnOfKuus member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Okay.  Do I invite all of them, or just a few?  There are five of them, three females and two males.  And should Mr. Kuus be involved, too?
  • Options
    GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    invite them back!
    something casual.
    Drop off Christmas cookies too...because you don't make friends with salad.
  • Options
    loveshine1loveshine1 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh I like the Christmas Cookie idea as well. I'd be thrilled if one of my neighbors brought me cookies.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You'll all also be proud of me, because I accepted a few hugs and mild close talking without as much stiffness as usual.
  • Options
    krizzo17krizzo17 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I seriously checked your profile to see if you live anywhere near me, because this sounds exactly like my life (I'm an engineer). My fiance keeps telling me I should just talk to random people at the gym until one of them is my friend (he's an engineer too).

I'm absolutely no help, but I can totally relate lol
    Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    edited December 2011
    love the cookie idea- or bread.  You could also do a coffee meetup or is there anything fun happening for the holidays?  A tree lighting or concert? 

Ask the Mr if you think he'd enjoy it and fir in.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think you should have a girl event, and a couple event.

movies/lunch- with the girls
    maybe a small gtg at your house for the couples or dinner out.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh man, you should have seen Mr. Kuus at the party!  He sat there stiffly, drinking nothing and barely interacting, and kept an eye on everyone's drinks to make sure no mickeys were slipped.  I feel like a veritable social butterfly next to him.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ok, nix the party. Check and see if there are any events coming to town. Less talking, but still interacting. Maybe a comedy show or concert.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Okay, I can do the cookies thing.  I also have to return a book one lent me, a movie another lent me, and lend the books that I'd promised to yet another.  That's a noncreepy reason for knocking on the door.

So how do I do the lunch or whatever thing?  Do I tell the males that they're not invited politely somehow (they're all roommates, not so much couples)?  Ask for a female if a male answers the door, and then invite her and specify the other two females?  Leave a note on the door?  How does this work?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Kuus, you're making me giggle.

Ring the door bell, walk in, hand them the book or movie. They will probably ask you to sit, so that's when you ask if they have any plans on Sat. If they do, then pick another date that works for everyone.

You can invite the men, but then you would have to invite your husband, and he needs his own intervention in this area. Throw out a few places and plan a time.

They will agree or not, but you said they like you, so they will probably say yes.

Everyone drives to the restaurant, and break bread and fellowship.

Fun times all around.:)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If Mr. Kuus is invited but chooses not to go, is that weird?
  • Options
    *Barbie**Barbie* member
    edited December 2011
    as an engineer, i'm a bit offended by your OP ;-)

give the ladies a call or an e-mail asking to go see a movie or get lunch, or invite everyone over for dinner some night.

you could also ask in person when retuning the book or movie.

i joined a meetup group down here, and after the meetup page expired, we moved the group over to FB, and i'll usually send out an invite once a month or so for people to gtg. i'll pick a restaurant and ask who is up for getting dinner/drinks at day/time. other folks will do the same.
  • Options
    *Barbie**Barbie* member
    edited December 2011
    also, your posts remind me of Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory. You could follow the friendship algorithm. (<--clicky)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    No, it's not like you guys are going to get busy without him.:)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_apparently-im-four-havent-entirely-figured-out-friends?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:a3d61c10-118c-4864-b841-2c5d72fcf711Post:3cfd0c37-6c04-42b3-93a3-f7d11c68e6a6">Re: So, apparently I'm four, and haven't entirely figured out how to make friends.</a>:
    [QUOTE]also, your posts remind me of Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory. You could follow the friendship algorithm . (<--clicky)
    Posted by *Barbie*[/QUOTE]

The thought had crossed my mind.
  • Options
    mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have nothing to add besides the fact that I love this thread and this needs to be submitted as a future script for BBT or something.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

You can also send the girls a group mail on FB saying it has been nice getting to know all of them and you'd like to host a ladies lunch at your house some time for them. Mr. Kuus can sit in the yard while you offer them beverages.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards