Wedding Woes
Options

Confession/cry for help

Confession: Unless it has "Minute" in its name, I can't cook rice. I can't. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, or right, and my BH&G just gives me proportions and says "Simmer, covered,  for 15 minutes".

OK, but do I get the water boiling first? Do I make it all boil together? And how do I simmer, covered, without making a mess (because those big starch bubbles form and pop on the lid and then they bubble out the sides of the pot and it's awful.)? 

I keep trying, and I keep ending up with a gloopy mess or crunchy rice. Please help me. 

Re: Confession/cry for help

• Options
    MrsMyrtleMrsMyrtle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I can't remember the last time I made rice that wasn't instant. But I don't make a lot of rice to begin with.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I tend to simmer with the lid on a tilt. The pot is mostly covered but there is room to vent so you don't get the boil over.
  • Options
    loveshine1loveshine1 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not a good rice-maker. My mom usually wraps a plate in a dishtowel and uses that to cover the pot. Her rice is always good, so that may help.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    **O-Face****O-Face** member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I boil the water first, put the rice in, and cover it completely for 25 minutes.  A little oil helps the rice not stick to the pan, if you want to vent, use a wooden spoon on one side. 

LEAVE IT ALONE. 
  • Options
    HeffalumpHeffalump member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    I bring the water to a boil, then simmer for 15-20 min.  There are only certain pots I make rice in well, so I think maybe the geometry has something to do with it, too.

See also frozen rice that you steam in the bag.  That's the only way I make brown rice anymore (and we usually eat brown)--3 minutes vs. like 45.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I cook rice often. It's 2 cups of water for 1 cup of rice, but I use 1 and 3/4 cups because I like my rice a little dry. I bring the water and rice to a boil, turn the heat to low, cover and let simmer for about 20 minutes.
    MIL is thrilled you're joining the family. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    here is my method:

1. use chicken broth, not water. Much tastier.
    2. put cold broth in pan and pour rice evenly so it covers the pan completely and is about a cenimeter under the broth (does that make sense?)
    3. Cover and bring to a boil
    4. Turn down to a simmer until all liquid is soaked up
    5. Remove from heat, leave lid on, and let sit for 15 minutes.
    6. Fluff with fork and serve

Never, ever stir it or remove the lid. Obviously it works best if your pan has a glass lid :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Y'all don't fall out.

I can't cook, but I make good rice.

This is so weird to me. Carry on.
  • Options
    HeffalumpHeffalump member
    edited December 2011
    I forgot to add, you can tell it's done when little craters form in the rice.
  • Options
    zsazsa-stlzsazsa-stl member
    First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I do exactly what PMB does.  The only time I have problems are when I forget to turn it down after it starts boiling...or when I get impatient and think it might be done before a full 20 minutes of simmering.

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    baconsmombaconsmom member
    5 Love Its First Answer First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    My package doesn't have directions: when you buy in 25-lb increments, they assume you know what you're doing. 

Thanks. I will try all these permutations. It's seriously weird to me that I can cook almost anything, unless it's basic. It took me over a year to be able to make gravy, and I still can't do a pie crust or a biscuit. 
  • Options
    Butter CookieButter Cookie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you make rice that often just buy a rice cooker. I am spoiled by mine.

That being said minute rice is gross. I've never had a problem with rice made on the stove when I followed the instructions.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    edited December 2011
    BMom, my rice in the 25 pound bag from Sam's has the directions on the nutrional tag.  They're small, but they're there.

The one I buy is basmati.  That one, is 1 2/3 cup water to 1 cup rice.  Let rice sit for 20 minutes in the water.  Bring to boil, turn off heat and let it sit there.  5 minutes later, voila...basmati rice.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards