Wedding Woes

WDWWT? Local news story

Saw this on the news this morning - apparently the parents are suing the school district over the suicide of their 13 year old son. Son recently came out as gay, and was teased at school. 

While the story is sad, the clip of the father yelling "if my son bent over to tie his shoe, they would run up behind him and start... THRUSTING!" was actually pretty funny. 

HOUSTON – A local mom and stepdad say their 13-year-old son committed suicide because of ruthless bullying at his junior high school.Asher Brown killed himself last Thursday.His mother, Amy Truong, said her son recently realized that he was gay. She said that, along with his religion, made him a target for bullies at Hamilton Junior High."They would insult him because he was Buddhist, and they would call him ‘booty boy’ and try to link the two together between Buddhism and homosexuality," Truong said.Truong and her husband, David, said Brown endured verbal and physical abuse.They said they tried to contact the school about the bullying, but their cries fell on deaf ears.Amy and David Truong believe Brown as literally pushed to the edge."This bully, we can’t say his name, deliberately tripped Asher down … two flights of stairs," David Truong said.According to other students, Brown told the bully, "You better apologize, or I’m gonna kill myself."Those words haunt his parents.Amy and David Truong said they always thought their son would come to them when something was wrong."We’re still trying to piece together everything that happened to him that we didn’t know before," Amy Truong said.Meanwhile, they’re speaking out about the consequences of bullying.They say actions that could be brushed off as a childhood rite of passage can sometimes have tragic consequences."These kids don’t deserve this, they don’t. And I can’t do anything to save mine anymore, but if I can help somebody else, I want to. I know Asher would want to. He was a good boy. He was such a good boy," Amy Truong said.In a statement released Wednesday afternoon, Cypress-Fairbanks ISD said the district’s counseling and psychological teams would be expanding crisis services for students at Hamilton."The district, together with the Hamilton community, is saddened by the death of Asher Brown," the statement read. "A district administrative team is conducting a thorough and involved investigation into the allegations of bullying that have been made since the death of Asher Brown. Although the investigation is not completed, the initial findings indicate that Asher’s personal and family histories were very complicated."

Re: WDWWT? Local news story

• *Barbie**Barbie* member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_wdwwt-local-news-story?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:aa8ba25e-2074-46a2-b873-aeca6fde3c9aPost:247719b7-f7ed-4cf1-a91f-c81914d56836">WDWWT? Local news story</a>:
    [QUOTE]Saw this on the news this morning - apparently the parents are suing the school district over the suicide of their 13 year old son. Son recently came out as gay, and was teased at school.  While the story is sad, the clip of the father yelling "if my son bent over to tie his shoe, they would run up behind him and start... THRUSTING! " was actually pretty funny.  ______________________________________________________________ HOUSTON – A local mom and stepdad say their 13-year-old son committed suicide because of ruthless bullying at his junior high school. Asher Brown killed himself last Thursday. His mother, Amy Truong, said her son recently realized that he was gay. She said that, along with his religion, made him a target for bullies at Hamilton Junior High. "They would insult him because he was Buddhist, and they would call him ‘booty boy’ and try to link the two together between Buddhism and homosexuality," Truong said. Truong and her husband, David, said Brown endured verbal and physical abuse. They said they tried to contact the school about the bullying, but their cries fell on deaf ears. Amy and David Truong believe Brown as literally pushed to the edge. "This bully, we can’t say his name, deliberately tripped Asher down … two flights of stairs," David Truong said. According to other students, Brown told the bully, "You better apologize, or I’m gonna kill myself." Those words haunt his parents. Amy and David Truong said they always thought their son would come to them when something was wrong. "We’re still trying to piece together everything that happened to him that we didn’t know before," Amy Truong said. Meanwhile, they’re speaking out about the consequences of bullying. They say actions that could be brushed off as a childhood rite of passage can sometimes have tragic consequences. "These kids don’t deserve this, they don’t. And I can’t do anything to save mine anymore, but if I can help somebody else, I want to. I know Asher would want to. He was a good boy. He was such a good boy," Amy Truong said. In a statement released Wednesday afternoon, Cypress-Fairbanks ISD said the district’s counseling and psychological teams would be expanding crisis services for students at Hamilton. "The district, together with the Hamilton community, is saddened by the death of Asher Brown," the statement read. "A district administrative team is conducting a thorough and involved investigation into the allegations of bullying that have been made since the death of Asher Brown. Although the investigation is not completed, the initial findings indicate that Asher’s personal and family histories were very complicated."
    Posted by *Barbie*[/QUOTE]

<div>tried to fix wonky formatting</div>
  • DG1DG1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    nothing about this makes me want to laugh.

• LnR70707LnR70707 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011

Sounds like normal junior high to me.  Yeah, its not right...but it doesn't sound like anything to kill yourself over.

br>imageimage
    IF/Baby Blog
    2 years, 2 surgeries, 2 clomid fails, 2 IUIs, 1 loss, IVF #1 - 10/25/10 = BFP!
    TTC #2 - 6/12 surgery #3, FET #1 & 1.2 = BFN, 12/2012 FET #2 = BFP!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

I can't wait for the "im getting a divorce" post in 5 years or so because your husbands were fed up with your disgusting chair asses from playing on the knot all day and getting fired 4-5 times for not doing any work. you guys are all winners!! ~ Laur929
  • HeffalumpHeffalump member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_wdwwt-local-news-story?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:aa8ba25e-2074-46a2-b873-aeca6fde3c9aPost:8a34d61b-5f02-4738-9a40-2f6dfa7d8b84">Re: WDWWT? Local news story</a>:
    [QUOTE]nothing about this makes me want to laugh.
    Posted by DG1[/QUOTE]
    Agreed.

I don't think that bullying will make an otherwise okay person kill themselves, but I can see how it might be the straw the broke the camel's back.  I do think people are sometimes too quick to scapegoat the bullies because that's easier than dealing with the entire complicated web of problems that can make someone take their own life.  Slate has done some good articles on this <a href="http://www.slate.com/id/2260952/entry/2260953/">here </a>and <a href="http://www.slate.com/id/2260952/entry/2260953/">here</a>.
    edited December 2011
    it was moreso in the way he said it, and the fact that he was trying to talk over the mother. - the actual act/bullying/death is awful.

I don't see how these people can blame the school district for the actions of the bullies or their son - and I also can't see a direct cause/effect relationship between bullying and suicide. I think there's a lot more to this story. 

If the parents were concerned that the school wasn't doing enough, did they try to contact the local police? Did they try to get their son help (therapy, etc.) outside of the school? Did they look into transferring the kid to a new school, away from the bullies?
  • **O-Face****O-Face** member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think adults have the ability to REMEMBER how awful some parts of growing up and adolescence can be.  And when they do remember they downplay the impact that bullying had on them or anyone around them.

Bullying is NOT okay. PERIOD.  Would I have EVER thought of killing myself?  No.  But I also was never that bullied or "weak" or "tormented" or whatever you'd call it.

• tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_wdwwt-local-news-story?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:aa8ba25e-2074-46a2-b873-aeca6fde3c9aPost:c0af020e-2e21-4011-b5b3-7764a3000158">Re: WDWWT? Local news story</a>:
    [QUOTE]it was moreso in the way he said it, and the fact that he was trying to talk over the mother. - the actual act/bullying/death is awful. <strong>I don't see how these people can blame the school district for the actions of the bullies or their son - and I also can't see a direct cause/effect relationship between bullying and suicide.</strong> I think there's a lot more to this story.  If the parents were concerned that the school wasn't doing enough, did they try to contact the local police? Did they try to get their son help (therapy, etc.) outside of the school? Did they look into transferring the kid to a new school, away from the bullies?

Clearly you were never bullied in school.  I was and all of the teachers knew it.  Two of them were the mothers of the bullies little boyfriends and decided it was just kids being kids.  There was a point where I wanted to kill myself but luckily had people I could turn to.

Parents are really limited as to how they can protect their kids from these little monsters (and yes, bullies are little monsters).  It's the school's responsibility to put an end to anything like this that is happening on school grounds.

There is not a damn thing funny about this story and to think that anything that comes out of a grieving parent's mouth is funny is just sick.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • zsazsa-stlzsazsa-stl member
    First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Would you be laughing if this were your kid?  Your nephew?  Your little brother?  There is nothing funny about this.

I remember being a teenager and feeling like high school was EVERYTHING.  When you are that age it is very difficult to see how high school is just a few years that you need to survive and then life gets infinately better.  It's too bad that no one was able to explain that to this kid.

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_wdwwt-local-news-story?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:aa8ba25e-2074-46a2-b873-aeca6fde3c9aPost:60586b8a-26d1-446a-9327-91d6184e1957">Re: WDWWT? Local news story</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: WDWWT? Local news story : Clearly you were never bullied in school.  <strong>I was and all of the teachers knew it.  Two of them were the mothers of the bullies little boyfriends and decided it was just kids being kids.</strong>  There was a point where I wanted to kill myself but luckily had people I could turn to. <strong>Parents are really limited </strong>as to how they can protect their kids from these little monsters (and yes, bullies are little monsters).  <strong>It's the school's responsibility to put an end to anything like this that is happening on school grounds.</strong> There is not a damn thing funny about this story and to think that anything that comes out of a grieving parent's mouth is funny is just sick.
    Posted by tldh[/QUOTE]

<div>Did they verbally abuse you or physically assault you? Did your parents escalate beyond the school when the school was not taking action? Did your parents change your school, and get you outside assistance?</div><div>
    </div><div>I was picked on by a classmate when i was in 6th grade. He would make fun of my appearance on a daily basis. I never let it bother me, and would give it right back - some people are just built to deal with the situation better. </div>
  • DG1DG1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_wdwwt-local-news-story?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:aa8ba25e-2074-46a2-b873-aeca6fde3c9aPost:0ffe4f28-9d3c-4d1e-9dbe-7b3b70c5d724">Re: WDWWT? Local news story</a>:
    [QUOTE] I never let it bother me, and would give it right back - some people are just built to deal with the situation better. 

Seriously?  You actually typed that?  And the less-capable kids are supposed to do what?

Also, insults about appearance from one person =/= getting kicked down the stairs and thrusted against all the time by many different people. 

I think the school is responsible to some degree.  I would hope that kicking another kid down the stairs is at least detention-worthy.  If they ignored it completely, I would be having HUGE problems with this.

• TheDuckisTheDuckis member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This wasn't normal bullying. They kicked him down two flights of stairs. That's assault, and fck yes the school has some responsibility there. The kid who did it should also be in juvie.

And how can you say the suicide wasn't a result of the bullying when he said "appologize or I'm going to kill myself." Obviously the kid had problems...and a lot of them were caused by the bullying.
  • Butter CookieButter Cookie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hell, even verbal bullying sucks. I got it my whole life and felt like a total outcast because of it. I was lucky (I guess) to be big, because nobody ever got physical with me. It sucks, and I was already angst-ridden and felt secluded and there might have been a time in my life that enough would have pushed me over. Teenage years are hard, yo. I cannot imagine bullying going this far, and nobody (parents, other students) bothering to do anything about it. It's sick, and people should be ashamed of themselves, and yeah, the kid who did it needs psychological help.

Also? Thrusting against a boy who recently came out as gay? Those kids are wrestling with their own homosexual feelings, if you ask me, and hate themselves for it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_wdwwt-local-news-story?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:aa8ba25e-2074-46a2-b873-aeca6fde3c9aPost:52feae79-0003-44db-92a7-2e334eb7e60a">Re: WDWWT? Local news story</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: WDWWT? Local news story : Seriously?  You actually typed that?  And the less-capable kids are supposed to do what? Also, insults about appearance from one person =/= getting kicked down the stairs and thrusted against all the time by many different people.  I think the school is responsible to some degree.  I would hope that kicking another kid down the stairs is at least detention-worthy.  If they ignored it completely, I would be having HUGE problems with this.
    Posted by DG1[/QUOTE]
    I was responding the the poster who said *SHE* was bullied - there was NO COMPARISON between my comment and what the TX kid went through. <div>
    </div><div>Kicking the kid down the stairs (or any type of harmful physical contact, for that matter) is BATTERY - the police should have been called. (Detention isn't appropriate here - at minimum it should have been a suspension.) If someone did something like that to my kid, and the school did not bring in the cops, I sure as all hell would have. That's why I questioned what the parents have done in regards to not seeing what they felt was appropriate action from the school. The school is responsible for keeping order/discipline, and giving the kids a safe learning environment, but there's a limit to what they can do. If the parents didn't feel that the school was handling the situation, then they needed to escalate to someone who would, or get the kid out of the situation if they felt he was in danger. </div><div>
    </div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards