Wedding Woes
Options

Another year same vent

BIL: We got your kids x and z tangible items for Christmas.
Me: Sounds perfect what would your kids like?
BIL: Barnes and Noble gift cards.

MIL: We want giftcards to x store.

What's the point?  Why don't we all keep our own cards and just have a nice meal together.

Re: Another year same vent

• Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am honestly trying to be more positive, so....
    At least I can do all of my shopping at the grocery store.
  • Options
    mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No kidding.  It's like passing a $20 back and forth.
  • Options
    GBCKGBCK member
    edited December 2011
    Ugh.

I told the Mr. I wanted to nip this w/ BIL and BeeBee...
    and he said (rather rightly, I guess) that they'd be all butthurt that we are singling them out while we exchange w/ everyone else.  So the $50 will swap back and forth.

(other SIL/BIL has a tradition of restaurant giftcards--taht's somehow different because they INTEND to make it the gift of a 'date'. )

I've decided the 'don't drown Buffy in crap' argument is more important, so I'm pushing that one.
  • Options
    **O-Face****O-Face** member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    6, we started doing this with H's stepfamily (extended at that!) no gifts for adults, only kids...and even then...I feel like it is trading $$, except since I have no children...I don't get anything back.  ?
  • Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    edited December 2011

I think the 10 yo is the one that bothers me.  Can you honestly not think of a single thing they would like?  I get my nieces and nephew savings bonds, but I also put effort into finding something small they can open and enjoy.

O- we don't do gifts for extended family and we draw names for siblings.  It makes it cheaper, but it's also less stress to find two gifts the person wants.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I came into this situation, and none of the children care enough to shake the tree.  It sucks...and it's annoying and a waste of money.  But none of the kids want to grow some balls.  It's frustrating...especially given there is ONE christmas on my side and 4-6 on H's side.
  • Options
    GBCKGBCK member
    edited December 2011
    I had a few relatives when we were kids who didn't give gift cards, they gave 'you get to go shopping with me, yay!' gifts.
    That was *awesome*.
    We'd go to toys r' us and pick out something in a certain price range and leave happy.
    Or we'd go to the bookstore and leave with $20 worth of whatever we picked.

I wish I lived closer to my niece, I'd do that instead of GCs

• Options
    edited December 2011
    The kiddo, who's 10, tried to tell everyone at my sister's wedding that he had no clue what he wanted.  He IS moving out of wanting toys, but there's still stuff he says he wants all.the.time.

I snagged the Target, Toys R Us, and one other ad out of the sunday paper when they sent out their big Christmas books.  

What do you know?  He has a list. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_another-year-same-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:af3bb1ab-09e9-4a16-b490-993ec70691a8Post:4fc562f3-2cb9-49aa-ab51-842b9b93e4ae">Re: Another year same vent</a>:
    [QUOTE]I had a few relatives when we were kids who didn't give gift cards, they gave 'you get to go shopping with me, yay!' gifts. That was *awesome*. We'd go to toys r' us and pick out something in a certain price range and leave happy. Or we'd go to the bookstore and leave with $20 worth of whatever we picked. I wish I lived closer to my niece, I'd do that instead of GCs
    Posted by GBCK[/QUOTE]

My sister took the kiddo to Chicago last year as his Christmas 'gift'.  They ran around all day and stayed in a hotel. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_another-year-same-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:af3bb1ab-09e9-4a16-b490-993ec70691a8Post:125f67ac-0aa9-4ec5-8f77-3503e0b3c6ee">Re: Another year same vent</a>:
    [QUOTE]6, we started doing this with H's stepfamily (extended at that!) no gifts for adults, only kids...and even then<strong>...I feel like it is trading $$, except since I have no children...I don't get anything back.  ?
    </strong>Posted by **O-Face**[/QUOTE]

This.
  • Options
    DG1DG1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_another-year-same-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:af3bb1ab-09e9-4a16-b490-993ec70691a8Post:125f67ac-0aa9-4ec5-8f77-3503e0b3c6ee">Re: Another year same vent</a>:
    [QUOTE]6, we started doing this with H's stepfamily (extended at that!) no gifts for adults, only kids...and even then...I feel like it is trading $$, except since I have no children...I don't get anything back.  ?
    Posted by **O-Face**[/QUOTE]

Well that is just dumb and unfair. We didn't start that until everyone had kids, for one, but if we had, it certainly would have been "IF you have kids, just for your kids..."

(Even then, it's still not fair. SIL has 3 kids and gives cheap gifts. Like, box-of-triscuits cheap. We have 2 kids and, while we don't go all out for them, we do spend more than $5 per kid.)

You should decline to participate.

• Options
    Leg de NicoLeg de Nico member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We solve the money swapping issue by picking names Secret Satan style.  You get someone new every year.  Price point is yours to choose.  Kids only.  They get a gift from that entire family.
    aka: nicoleg1982
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    H justifies it by saying "well they got all of us kids gifts through the years so....".

What.  Okay.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards