Wedding Woes
Options

Are you supposed to give a gift for a baptism?

Nephew's baptism is this weekend. They are Catholic if that means anything or helps. We are not the godparents.

FWIW, I am bringing food and helping at the party after the baptism.

I'd like to think the gift of me and Mr. Chubby's presence is present all anyone needs.

Re: Are you supposed to give a gift for a baptism?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    No. People might, but it's not like a birthday party or anything.
    MIL is thrilled you're joining the family. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    hmonkeyhmonkey member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we did, but we see the kids very rarely, and the baptism was a special trip.

i assume you will be the party's bartender?
  • Options
    PMeg819PMeg819 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    I wish hmo. These people are big on the Beringer white zinfandel and wine coolers. I could really rock their world if given the opportunity.
  • Options
    TheDuckisTheDuckis member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would, but I don't think it's a requirement.
  • Options
    MrsMyrtleMrsMyrtle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Every baptism I've been to, there's been lots of gifts for the baby. Mostly religious gifts, but also clothes and small toys.
  • Options
    zsazsa-stlzsazsa-stl member
    First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    This doll would make a cute gift, especially if the parents are Twilight fans.

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    MrsMyrtleMrsMyrtle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ACK! THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELS YOU!

*faints*
  • Options
    zsazsa-stlzsazsa-stl member
    First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I like how they couldn't even find tooth-like things to use as vampire teeth.  What are those?  This baby looks more like a romulin (sp?) than a vampire.

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If there is some kind of a party afterward to celebrate the Baptism, I would definitely give a gift.  Some gifts I have given in the past have been a check, bought the baby a bond, gold cross on a necklace (although the Godparents may be buying this). 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    edited December 2011
    I would take something, at the very least take a card.  It doesn't need to be anything big, but a cross, prayer book, or a small check (think $20 or less).

Again at the very least take a card.
  • Options
    kpwedkkkpwedkk member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Maybe just a card, but like you were saying, you are already bringing food :)  That's gift enough :)

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
  • Options
    *Barbie**Barbie* member
    edited December 2011
    In the case of a close family member (i'd say nephew/niece would qualify as "close"), a small gift is appropriate. For our niece and nephew, we gave a $25 check (to be deposited in the kid's college fund). A savings bond is another good choice. 

DH and I were both raised Catholic (I'm not an active church member anymore) but we tend to avoid religious gifts. Depending on the parents and your comfort level, a gold cross, a bible, or a religious medal (St. Christoper is popular) would also be appropriate as a gift. 
  • Options
    loop0406loop0406 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it's inappropriate to show up to an event without a gift. Even if it's a frame, you should at least buy something
  • Options
    HeffalumpHeffalump member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    I always give savings bonds for my (Catholic) cousins' kids religious things: baptism, first communion, whatever.  They're stupefyingly dull, but they get the job done. 
  • Options
    loveshine1loveshine1 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it's a gift giving occasion. More than likely, DH and I would give the kid a $50 check/savings bond.

It also depends how well you know them, etc.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards