Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

Valentine's Day??

Anyone thought about Valentine's Day?

Any plans?

We aren't usually big vday people but since it's our first as Mr. and Mrs. and we skipped gifts and all that for Christmas and birthdays the last 2 years thanks to wedding/honeymoon/new macbook-  I feel like I should do something special for DH for Valentine's Day but I don't know what.

(btw- cvs was already putting up easter stuff yesterday....easter!)
Siggy Challange: Me and my girls :)
Photobucket

Re: Valentine's Day??

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Hubs just asked me (randomly) about this last night.  We've never made a big deal out of Vday.  He asked if I wanted to go out to dinner, I said not on the holiday because it'll be packed, so he said the weekend before, and I told him that's when men take their mistresses out!  LOL
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My FI thinks Vday is ridic. He still does stuff for me but doesn't go all out. I think we used to go out, but most likely will not now.  Maybe we can go get our marriage licence that day ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We were planning on getting each other these playoff tickets, but they fell through. I have no effing clue what to get him, but we'll probably do something low key. Dinner at home together, etc.
    Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
    M/C 03/05/2012 *we love you, angel* BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree. We aren't Valentine's Day people either. Its just a holiday which increase the cost of flowers, dinner and chocolate!

Last year, my FI (at the time) got me my wedding shoes and flowers. I think this year since we will have the house by now I will get him a ping pong table which he will LOVE for our new basement and I will be cooking dinner... something delicious and romantic...
  • Options
    ev4149ev4149 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We got engaged on Feb. 13th last year... FI attempted to wait until midnight to propose on the 14th, but I was falling asleep on the couch and he couldn't wait.

That's going to be pretty hard to top...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    a.lemma4a.lemma4 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We haven't really talked about it. We aren't big on V-day. Maybe homemade dinner, sex and rum? Wink
    Siggy Challenge - Favorite Pic of FI - Tan and Fuzzy, Just the way I like him ;-) imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Jesster153Jesster153 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    hahaha ev- thats funny

yea DH usually makes me dinner and we just chill with wine and a movie.
    Siggy Challange: Me and my girls :)
    Photobucket
  • Options
    mana8503mana8503 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Last year I made a fancier than usual dinner since he wouldn't let me buy anything for him.  He got a remote starter put on my jeep (probably the best gift EVER). 

This year we aren't going to exchange gifts since we are buying the house.  Before bed the other night he asked if I at least wanted to go out for dinner for valentine's day, and I said sure.  Then I realized how crazy that will be, so I told him no I'll make him a nice dinner again.  He said too bad, he already had reservations and won't tell me where.  This might be a secret he actually keeps for once. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    my 2012 shelf:
    Amanda's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (2012 shelf)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We never make a big deal, card and a small gift. Last year DH wasn't even home he was in Texas and brought me home two books from the air port as a gift!

We may go to down the shore for the weekend just to get away. I am under the impression he is buying me a kindle this year.

I NEVER get flowers because they are so expensive!
  • Options
    amy727amy727 member
    edited December 2011
    I don't like Valentines Day.  I would rather get flowers or a gift just because.  Most likely we will not do anything special. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Stacylynn702Stacylynn702 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We usually go up the mountains that week not b/c it's Valentines day but b/c it's Presidents weekend and I'm off so it's one less vacation day to take that week.  My mom used to buy it for us for Christmas b/c it's her friends condo that we stay at.  This year, we asked for AAA for Christmas instead so no mountains.  Otherwise, DH usually buys me flowers and some conversation hearts b/c I love them.
    I'll get him a box of chocolates and call it a day.  He likes those hazelnut ones.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    ButtonsPepperButtonsPepper member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We celebrate March 14th because flowers are cheaper and there are no crowds out at restaurants, so I'm no help as our Vday is two months away.
  • Options
    ev4149ev4149 member
    edited December 2011
    I have never gotten flowers from FI.  Ever.  That's what I would really like. Even if it's a single flower.  But he does not "believe" in flowers because they die.

I might make him the same dinner I made for last Valentine's Day.  I think that would be a fun tradition.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Ugh. I hate it when guys say they won't buy flowers because they die. That's like not eating dinner because it disappears.

Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
    M/C 03/05/2012 *we love you, angel* BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    ev4149ev4149 member
    edited December 2011
    HAHA Paprika that is an awesome analogy.  I might use that on FI next time I try to tell him that flowers are nice and girls appreciate them.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    >> But he does not "believe" in flowers because they die. <<

Well then maybe he should get you the gold dipped rose from Steven Singer! You can have it forever!
  • Options
    Musicheals71Musicheals71 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We got engaged on V-Day exactly two years ago!  This V-Day will be our first as a married couple.  However, not sure what we're doing yet.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    we arent big v-day people either.  we will most likely get a bottle of wine and make dinner together.  

i get flowers the day after... half price!
    October 2012 May 2011 Siggy: E-Ring
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    DianaM27DianaM27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We aren't big Valentines Day people either...I'm noticing a trend for Philly knottiesWink

The only little tradition we have for V-day is that he makes me chocolate covered strawberries each year (well since the year I asked him to do it...haha) and they are sooo delcious and we usually just have a nice dinner at home (a little splurge at Wegmans)

FI got me flowers for our first "date" in college, but hasn't since...haha he roped me in and then stopped...haha. But last xmas his mom bought me a crystal vase that fits a flower and she told him he should fill it every now and then...hehe-lover her!
    One of my bridesmaids and I sitting poolside Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Amerbutt81Amerbutt81 member
    edited December 2011
    >>

Ugh. I hate it when guys say they won't buy flowers because they die. That's like not eating dinner because it disappears.

<<
    BWA HAHAHAHA!  Best response ever.

We usually just go out to dinner or something.  Nothing too big- no gifts or anything.  This year we are going to Firecreek in Downingtown. 
    Mrs. JEGs
    est 7.17.10
    [IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/2md4eb4.jpg[/IMG]
    Hunter Fillmore
    October 1, 2011

Lizzie In Progress
  • Options
    Northstar1808Northstar1808 member
    edited December 2011
    >>

<<
    BWA HAHAHAHA!  Best response ever.

I agree best response ever! I love flowers and DH used to buy it for me all the time and then I told him not to do it so often becaues it's expensive and they just die so now he doesn't ever buy them for me. wtf? It's not an all or nothing thing lol.

As for v-day we're not super into it. I'll get him a card, maybe we'll use one of our groupons to go rock climbing or do a circus class thing and play on the trapeze and do fabric aerials. Idk. I wanna do something fun. Or maybe we'll stay a night at Harrah's. I wanna get away to somewhere warm and I can at least pretend to at Harrah's pool lol. We'll see how much it costs.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We will probably go out the weekend before or the weekend after, to avoid the crowds.  We received a Harry's Savoy GC as a wedding gift, and DH suggested we use it for V-day this year.

Last year, we did a homemade fondue dinner.  It was really easy, and DH said he liked it more than going to the Melting Pot, since we could a) do it a heck of a lot cheaper, and b) we could customize it more to what we wanted.  I basically sent him out for the day, and surprised him with the dinner when he came home.

In terms of gifts, we don't really do v-day gifts.  If we do, he might get me a small piece of jewelry, or a GC for my Nook...something small. 

He doesn't want gifts on V-day, so usually I get a nice card, and write him a handwritten love letter.  He loves those more than any gift :)    Just an idea for those who don't want to spend a ton of money (I usually get the card at BJs or Costco!)...

Though, confession: Last year I bought my very first negligee as a gift for DH for v-day.  It was a fun night ;)  He really enjoyed that gift!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards